1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When Gay Comes Home: Liberal families and acceptance of gay children

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Chip, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just read this great article about how different families accept (or don't accept) their gay children, and the political (and societal) implications. I thought I'd share it.

2. KatoKumi

I thought this would be about war for some reason. I think I'm too tired.

It was a good read, but it doesn't seem like anything new, really.

3. ccdd

ccdd Guest

What a great article! Thanks for this link!

This is one of the things I was (and am) worried about with my parents - that even though they're really quite liberal, me being gay/bisexual will, unexpectedly, still be a thing for them. I have yet to talk properly to my mum to make sure that she's not just hiding any disappointment or upset for fear of upsetting me.

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Good article! Its amazing how many parents make it all about them and how they will be embarrassed in front of their friends or family. Its ridicules! I feel blessed to have a gay child. The impact that it has had on my life is immense and I feel sorry for those parents who can't embrace it!

5. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A common theme in the comments was that some parents aren't disappointed (in either a perceived shortcoming in parenting, or the "loss" of grandchildren), as much as worried about it making their child's life more difficult (prejudice, safety, etc). That was one of the first things my mom told me.

6. Emberstone

Well, when you base a large portion of your religious life on outspoken murderous hatred of anyone who is different to you, of course people like that will be hateful and abusive to their gay children. its like people who kicked their children out of the family 50 years ago for daring to go against god and marry a person of a different race or ethnicity.

7. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Did you read the article?

8. silentsound

Thanks, that was a really great article!

I feel like it hit on a lot of the issues that are seldom talked about across party lines. Like ccdd, it hit on some of the fears I have with coming out to my parents in how they are going to take it when it's me, even though they are inherently accepting people.