1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the biggest problem that society has?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by metoo, Oct 4, 2015.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's mainly stupidity. Racism, sexism, homophobia, pretty much any negative "ism" or "phobia" all boils down to stupidity. Stupidity is a cycle, and it continues among generations in the same way that genetics do. Stupid people grow up around other stupid people, and generally they learn to hate because of their upbringing, and then they have kids and fill their heads with the same prejudices that they were taught. The kids make the same mistakes as their parents did (Having kids young, getting into trouble with the law, etc.) and the cycle just keeps rolling along.

2. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll second this :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That^

4. Joelouis

I'll agree to this.

In general, the biggest problem is that mankind isn't as intelligent as he thinks.
    We WILL push the planet beyond the point of no return sooner than we think. The stupid thing is that we know we're doing it but are too ignorant and greedy to stop it.

#24 Joelouis, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  5. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

Pride and prejudice.

6. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd have to say lack of empathy.

7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hypocrisy and ignorance.

How people will cry that we spend too much money on welfare and food stamps, but stay silent or defend frivolous government spending (with the military taking up more than 55% of it) or say their [usually Christians] religious rights are being persecuted, but are very vocal about how the want to kill all Muslims or Sikhs for simply existing.

The list goes on. People care more about their greed than they do the will being of other people. They'd rather save a sack of cash or something materialistic from a blaze before their fellow man.

8. Posthuman666

People not viewing others as equal to them.

9. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the words of Ultron:

"We all want to save the world, but we don't want it to change."

10. tourettesqueen

Well said. I also think sex has lost its meaning. It used to be something beautiful that brought couple together when the time was right. Now it is seen as a recreational activity.

11. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]

12. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Prejudice, ignorance.
    By ignorance I'm talking about hating/following things without an intelligent reason to. Blindly following faith in a way that it hurts others, for example. And I don't mean that all religious people BLINDLY follow their faith nor am I criticizing religion. I think it's the same with people who are homophobic because they just think it's weird. I just think people should think about their actions before following others, having an opinion that they haven't even thought through. Basically, stupidity. Prejudice also fits in to what I wrote above, and hypocrisy.

Equality is a difficult concept... I think we should reach closer to equality, however, I've seen a discussion on here and it's hard to completely grasp the concept of true equality.

13. Formality

How is "sex has lost it's meaning" the biggest problem that society has? I just don't see the reasoning behind this.

You might think that sex has lost it's meaning (just like Kim Davis thinks marriage has lost it's meaning) but you can still choose to make YOUR own sex meaningful. Other people might still enjoy having their sex in other more... liberal ways, and if that is what they want, well then good for them.

14. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think things like hunger & malnutrition rank highly worldwide - and contaminated water sources resulting in cholera endemics.

Sex was, at one point, used as a means to create babies - and nothing more. This was before organised religion and the conception of marriage. People would mate with an individual based on whether they could guarantee them strong, healthy offspring to continue their genetic line - and not romance, or lovey dovey nonsense. You then got monarchies who married not for love but for the purpose of creating an heir to the throne - and marriage wouldn't have even mattered if it wasn't considered wrong or immoral at the time to procreate outside of marriage (morality is a human fabrication, of course).

Things change over time - inevitable really.

It isn't a societal problem though, unless you're a puritan - there are more pressing issues to concern yourself with.

#34 imnotreallysure, Oct 5, 2015
  15. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh no, I didn't mean it as in "society's biggest problem", I just meant that it was one of the many problems. It's just relieving to see that I'm not the only sexually sane person on here considering that monogamy and meaningful sex is so "ten minutes ago" now a days. As someone who is too much of a hopeless romantic, my biggest fear is being lost in a sea of people with the "fuck monogamy and fuck meaningful sex, lets all go sex-crazed" mentality. It makes it more hard to find someone worth keeping. However, please don't you ever fucking compare me to that two-faced rat.

That's another problem. People assume that just because something is a social construct that its automatically evil. Newsflash- not all social constructs are bad, and are in fact there for a reason.
    Love is dying and getting replaced by sex-hungry people who wouldn't know what love is if it hit them in the head.
    That said, that's another problem with society.

People try to twist their way around morality and just label it as "subjective", that there is no "right and wrong". Guess what, there is. Someone might consider being a theif "right", but its not. There. Is. A. Line.
    That's my opinion, next person.

#35 DanDan, Oct 5, 2015
  16. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm happy with my life, and how I live it - you, on the other hand, appear to be incredibly jaded, angry and resentful, going around here picking arguments with anyone and everyone over the most trivial of subjects.

You are clearly doing something wrong - which might explain your lack of success in the love department. People who do not adhere to monogamy, are not putting you at a disadvantage, nor are they impeding on your life, in any way - the only problem here is you, and how you go about life. Monogamy is absolutely the norm, and probably always will be - there are no shortages of people looking for exactly the same thing as you - so if you're finding it hard, don't blame me or anyone else.

That being said, I'm not here to convince you of anything, because you're clearly not going to change - nor do I expect you to - but unless you want every thread you post on to end up being locked because you instigated yet another argument and insulted a few more people by suggesting they're full of dick, I'd scale down the confrontations.

#36 imnotreallysure, Oct 5, 2015
  17. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

We're just animals who labor under the delusion that we're somehow better and more evolved because we invented concepts like 'justice' and 'morality' to shelter ourselves from the harsh truths of reality. There is no justice in the world. We steal, we murder and rape each other and our world, because its in our nature. We can supress it to an extent and pretend like we know better, but we can't eliminate it because human nature can't be changed.

18. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Humans are a major drain on the planet's resources, but we only do what every other animal does - and if other animals had developed the level of intelligence that we did, they'd be doing the same thing.

That being said, we ought to know better. I guess certain aspects of human nature are harder to suppress.

#38 imnotreallysure, Oct 5, 2015
  19. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Biggest problem? I'll go with increasing facio-religion or whatever you call it. ISIS is in the spotlight now but it seems to have versions in Christianity, Judaism, atheism, etc.. The other problems that the world is facing are the fuel and these guys are the match.

I would like to add that there is plenty of hope and most people want peace and happiness. We just have to keep working on making things better.

20. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hypocrisy.