1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you consider this?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by WhiteRose29, Apr 24, 2016.

1. WhiteRose29

I'm a male. I was born a male, I feel like a male, and I am happy with having a male body. However, I don't like some of the things that come along with being a male (like the expectations) and I really don't feel masculine or feminine at all. Makes sense? Now I don't want labels to define me so maybe I shouldn't even be asking this, but I still wanted to know what you think.

2. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gender non-conforming? Your own kind of guy?

3. WhiteRose29

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Something along the lines of non-binary, or just my own kind of person who doesn't really fit in the with the idea of being masculine or feminine. Thanks for your reply.

Off-topic: I almost fanboyed a bit when I saw your Mello avatar. XD

4. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mello is awsome :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I think nobody likes the expectations, and depends on what kind of expectations you are talking about. There are multiple things to gender, I think. There is if you feel male or female, and within it is how you perceive/feel your body et cetera, and if you feel like you share some very vague experience with other members of your own sex, something more to do with the brain/interior if anything. There is how you relate to norms of behaviour, outward expression. There is the whole dysphoria etc.

From what you write, you feel male but are not that conforming in the outward expressions and how you feel about them. That may be described as non-binary or as simply a male even if non-conforming, depending on what you prefer, I guess.

5. WhiteRose29

I agree, I think there are multiple things to gender and it's not just black and white. However if we're going by typical gender stereotypes, I'd say I feel gender-neutral, but still biologically male and happy with that.

What I mean by expectations is the way most people expect me to act, or look, or feel, or how I'm socially expected to interact with the other men and women around me, or the things I'm expected to do (etc.) just because I'm a male. It's not like I chose to be a male (even though I'm fine with it) and I don't feel like I have to be masculine because of it. I guess I just feel like I can't fully relate to either gender and lie somewhere in between.

I don't know if I'm making sense. I think you pretty much got it though, about feeling male but non-conforming in the outward expressions and how I feel about them. Seems accurate.