What were your parents' attitudes toward sex?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwesomGaytheist, Sep 6, 2013.

1. justjade

Well, being raised female by a single dad, any conversation about sex or puberty was off the table. In fact, when I tried explaining to my dad that I was growing a penis, he kind of freaked out. I didn't end up growing one after all, unfortunately.

2. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know what their attitude towards sex is, as they've never mentioned anything regarding the topic.

Wait...

3. Fiddledeedee

"The only proper sex is vanilla sex in a heterosexual marriage. Don't talk about it unless it's procreative, and never talk about pleasure involved. If you don't follow this, you're a sinful little slut and we're ashamed and appalled." Mom answered questions about biology, and the tone was milder than that, but sex was private so talking about it was negative.

I also got that lovely mixed message from my church, "Sex is dirty and horrible and wrong and you should save it for the one person you love."

Somehow, both of my siblings and I (independently of each other) have arrived at positions of complete and total support for sexuality.

4. ScatteredEarth

My mother told me that sex isn't something to be ashamed of, but I should wear protection because if I ever knocked up a girl... "Your ass would be catering to her every whim, I will see to it personally" Yea.. I love my mom xD

5. Hyrion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well my mom never told me ANYTHING about sex, cuz i didnt had an interest in anyone; but my dad he was like "omg women are so yummy, and hot, etc." so i never wated to bring "anythjing" regarding sex. So i had to learn about it myself :/

6. LesbianGirl

Today I found 50 condoms, lots of lingure (spelling?), and lubricant in my moms room today.

7. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And I bet you were like :eek: weren't you? :wink:

8. LinkLarkin

I never really had to have "the talk" because I never showed any sexual interest in anyone. I thought I had crushes on girls that would just intensify as I got older but they weren't strong enough (surprisingly) to make me want to date anybody at that age. I ignored my feelings for boys for some time then went into denial, and so dating boys was off the table. So there was no need to bring it up. They did provide me with access to sex education books though, earlier than most of my peers were learning about it, so they had to sternly tell me not to discuss it with anybody in case their parents weren't ready. The closest I've ever come to "the talk" was my mother telling me to be "careful" shortly before I went to university. Ha. I've gotten through two years and never been in a situation where I'd need to be.

9. ScatteredEarth

Holy shit O_O I found a vibrator in my room because it was my sister's old room.. So that was a rather odd welcome gift to find behind my bed :/

10. leer

when I moved out I left some erm magazines behind my wardrobe in a foot locker bag my brother found it few weeks later.

11. AKTodd

My sister's mom provided her with this book when we were between 8 and 10yrs old:

Show Me - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia!

I got to read it too when we were visiting.

Beyond that, there were a fair number of issues of Playboy and Penthouse around the house when my parents first got married. My mom somehow ended up with some issues of Playgirl as well (I don't remember how).

I don't remember any specific/formal discussions of sex (although there were probably some around the Show Me book above) per se, but we had sex ed in both junior high and HS and I don't remember learning anything either new or surprising. So some sort of accurate discussion must have taken place at some point, presumably from my mom since my dad would never have willingly done anything helpful or informative for me in any form.

I do know the Show Me book introduced me to the concept of masturbation (well before I was physically able to do anything about it) such that it was something I looked forward to being able to do and was happy about when I got to that point.

I was in college when I figured out I was gay and my family was thousands of miles away. So that was just a conversation over the phone one afternoon.

Todd

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's never to be mentioned. My mother has an old Catholic idea of keeping very quiet about it out of propriety, and my father never really has focused on anything but his job.

13. A Madd Nobody

My mother had her first child at sixteen. This led to her having to quit school and work full time for the rest of her life. She has told me in the past that she would understand if i had sex before marriage, but greatly stresses protection, even after i came out, though she seems less enthusiastic about the idea of me with a man.

14. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    Im about to be 17, and ive never heard my parents say the word sex, though i know they have had it in recent times and everytime either one of them comes home from xxx for a long period of time.

15. pikachulovable

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My dad says sex is normal and you dont have to have an emotional bond. But having a bond is better, I dont hes pretty real.