1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was your parents policy on dating?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by gaynerd64, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

This is one of those areas that, quite frankly, I was fortunate in. Despite some questionable parenting skills, my parents were never against dating, or having anybody over...

... the problem is, I never found anybody to date or have over. A wasted opportunity really. It probably also didn't help that, the reason they didn't care was, they were tending to their own issues. Namely the drinking and the heavy drugs.

2. ChameleonSoul

My mother's policy is:
    1. No dating until 18
    2. Can't bring them home unless she's there
    3. If I get her pregnant before marrying, my mother will have my girlfriend cut off my balls

Needless to say, I don't need to be worrying about the last one...

3. Sapphire

Sapphire Guest

They didn't have one, they knew I wasn't the type of kid to get a girlfriend (but not for the actual reason lol) When I had my first and only "boyfriend" (seriously I hate calling him that because we just used each other for sex for a month, but as far as my mom was concerned he was my boyfriend) she was like "so when are you gonna bring your boyfriend over?! I wanna meat him!" and I was like "Idk mom..." haha Hopefully I won't disappoint her in the future.

4. DelvSeigible

Idk that meat line strangely decreases libido.

5. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Idk that meat line strangely decreases libido.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I wasn't sure if that was a typo, or was what mom actually meant. kind of freaked me out too. if my mother wanted to "meat" my boyfriend, I would tell her to get her own meat. yuk.

6. N0nc0nf0rm

My parents are more confused as to why I haven't gotten a date yet than they are firm on the rules on dating. I guess that would mean I am lucky that my parents trust me with my love life. Though, they are still confused on my insistence that I don't really feel the need to possibly ever have a guy. I suspect they may be suspecting in turn that I am secretly lesbian.

*Sigh*

So, my dating trouble is more on the fact that I don't feel like doing it, ironically.

7. Sapphire

Sapphire Guest

yeah, I wasn't sure if that was a typo, or was what mom actually meant. kind of freaked me out too. if my mother wanted to "meat" my boyfriend, I would tell her to get her own meat. yuk.[/QUOTE]

Oh my god no ew! lol No I did not mean that, that was most definitely supposed to be "meet" haha my bad.

8. Alisa Arwen

Never had anything like that. Didn't date until I was in university.

9. Quiet Raven

For the past many years, my dad has been saying things like, "why don't you have a girlfriend?" "I just can't understand you! When I was your age girls are all I thought about!"

Yeah... He was never too strict on the rules... But he sure is annoying. The one time I actually had a girlfriend, it was actually her father who was strict. She was never allowed over at my house. (And I lived right across the street...)

10. Water lover

Water lover Guest

My parents are basically against not dating. I get yelled at once a week for not having a "life". It just turns into
    1) Date someone
    2) Be nice to them
    3) Don't get her pregnant
    4) Girls are manipulative so don't get alone with her in case of acusations later (yea my hometown is full of gossip)
    5) Don't have sex...but use a condom and be respectful

I would love to tell them half their list doesn't apply but I can't right now lol. At least they think my histarical laughter during these talks is due to the nature of the talk not my personal preferences.

11. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

The rule my parents pretty much laid out was:
    -No dating until you finish high school & even then, focus on uni/work lol
    -Gotta bring potential's home to meet parentals
    -No sex until you're 21 or are in a steady relationship (preferably married)
    -If you get pregnant, mom and dad will still love you and help you take care of baby. (And potentially hunt down whomever got you pregnant)
    -Safe sex is the only way!
    -Don't be sneaky about relationships - be open with parents. Tell them when going out, what time you'll be back, etc.
    -If you are caught sneaking out, you will face the consequences.

I kind of tune out when mom talks about pregnancy because really mom, you don't have to worry about it with me.