1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do when your not happy or proud of being gay?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Gazza123, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Now I know it can't be changed. It's a fact. It just cannot. I am gay and therefore I like guys and not girls. But if I had the choice to be straight I would take it cuz my life is a struggle anyway without having "being gay"...

I know I would never get into relationship with girl cuz I couldn't do that to someone.

I dunno...

I'm just neither happy nor proud of that aspect of my life. It's just meh.

I don't want to be gay really. I don't see how I can be happy with it yet or ever

2. Me eirher. Its a curse

3. enigmeow

I actually think being gay is a blessing. I have the social "right" to live my life outside the lines. I can chose to be anything I want regardless of preconceived gender roles. I also think I am far more open minded and aware of the suffering of others as a result of my sexuality.

Out of a 100 people, there are only a few of us. We are special. We are different. We are not boring and normal.

Straight people are scared of us because we don't fit in their boxes that they are forced to live in. You go to the mall and the "men" are not allowed to express opinions on art, clothing, fashion, or even how to emotionally connect with their kids.

When I've been forced into the closet, the color drains from the world

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The key thing to remember about "gay pride" is that it was launched as a direct attack against homophobia and the shame it engenders. The pride movement was meant to say "No, I refuse to feel ashamed of my sexuality." So the main question to you would be whether you feel ashamed of your sexuality. It doesn't appear from this post that you are, so that's the major hurdle crossed. :slight_smile:

Lex

5. Ohhai

I'm the same. It's just meh.

6. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I'm not ashamed... I don't think. I just don't like it. I've got problems in my life which affect a load of things such as making friends, confidence, being social, finding jobs and with being gay it just kinda messing everything up even more.

Right now it feels more like a burden than something to be happy about. I don't like atm. I'd rather be straight. I dunno why? I just can't stand being gay and not being able to do a damn thing about it

7. Passing regret

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I felt like this once, exactly the same as what you wrote in the post above. With time, you'll start to feel less like this if you surround yourself with good people.

Just keep going.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's common to look at the cards we were dealt by life, and mainly see the limitations. If only we weren't so clumsy, we'd be better at sports. If only we weren't so tall, we wouldn't stand out in the crowd so much. Stuff like that. But, as you're aware, we're not playing draw poker. You can't toss these cards and draw new ones. So thinking about how much better life would be if you weren't clumsy or tall or gay is a bit like saying "If only I could fly, I could skip over the traffic jams."

The thing is - nobody is completely satisfied with their deal. Everybody wants to swap some of their cards out. But of course nobody can. :slight_smile: So the smart move isn't to wish you had better cards. It's to say "OK, here are my cards - what can I do with them?"

I certainly didn't get the cards I wanted. And if I find that magic wand that lets me change stuff about me, yeah, there'll be changes made. :slight_smile: But at some point during my youth, I came to a realization. I'm stuck with me. I'm going to be spending the rest of my life with me. Therefore, it would behoove me to start getting to like that guy in the mirror. And so I began. I learned to accept me, to then to like me, and then to befriend me, and then to actually love me. Just like you might be great friends with somebody despite them not being perfect - I feel the same way about myself. And it's amazing how much easier it's made my life. Something I suggest everybody try. :slight_smile:

Lex

9. RCJ24

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree. Makes life a lot more complicated than it should be. Hang in there

10. Lewnatic

Build a bridge and get over it.

I know that sounds harsh and I'm sure some of you will take the approach offensively, but you need to dig deep and find that acceptance and pride that is being suffocated by your pointless self-hatred. Count your lucky stars, and you'll soon find that being gay is one of them.

I used to think exactly like you, whereas now, my sexuality? I wouldn't have it any other way.

11. LILuke

I struggle with this question a lot myself, which is weird for me because I've always been quite happy with everything else about myself, so all the anxiety is not something that I'm accustomed to dealing with. It seems to come and go, sometimes I'm perfectly happy with my sexuality, other times I hate it and myself - and that's not even considering all the back-and-forth I do about what I am or am not.

We are who we are, and no amount of consternation can change that. All we can do is try and embrace it - easier said than done, I know. One thing that has really helped me of late is my school's Gay Pride group. Being around other LGBT people and talking to them - even about casual things like school and video games, has helped to make me feel so much more comfortable with myself in regards to my sexuality, and if there's any kind of group like that near you I suggest you look into going, because it really REALLY does help.

12. PyroSpark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can completely understand this. Kudos to those who feel the opposite, though.

13. sammy1

To me being gay isn't somthing I am proud of but Its not something I am ashamed of either...it's not a curse and its not a blessing it's just wat it is

14. fortheloveoflez

I'm not necessarily proud of being lesbian either. That's just kind of how it is and I'm sure it won't change. I some times have my phases where I'm proud to have had the courage to come out at such an early age in such an nonsupporting environment. I do think that the whole experience made me into a stronger woman.

With that being said, I remember dating a girl who later said she was "seeing a man". It hurt me, I then told her.... How lucky you are to be a opposite-sex attracted, I know my life would be easier if I was that way too.

my point is, if I had the chance I'd be straight....but I'd hope that it could be that I keep my experience and knowledge of growing up lesbian....then take back time and start life brand new as a straight person; that way I'd still have the knowledge of how lucky one is to not have had the experience of being gay forever