1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Religion Do You Belong To?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by XxToshixX, Jul 23, 2010.

?

What Religion Do You Belong To?

1. Agnostic

25 vote(s)
    19.1%
  2. Atheist

41 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. Buddhist/Taoist

4 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. Christian - Catholic

14 vote(s)
    10.7%
  5. Christian - LDS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Christian - Protestant

6 vote(s)
    4.6%
  7. Christian - Other

6 vote(s)
    4.6%
  8. Hindu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Jewish

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Islam

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  11. Spiritual but not religious

9 vote(s)
    6.9%
  12. Religious Humanism

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  13. Satanism

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  14. Wicca

7 vote(s)
    5.3%
  15. Other

16 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Pragmatic Athiest / Humanist here. Pragmatic atheist means that I think that the issue of whether or not there is a God is flat-out irrelevant to our lives. (I'd post my reasons for believing such, but I don't want to start a flame war and get this thread shut down like so many before it.) Humanist means that I believe we should still be nice to other people, even if there isn't a divine reason for us to do so. I think that to say that if there isn't a God then there is no reason to be good is a shirking of our responsibilities to other people.

2. Davy

Scotland (That's the bit with hills & rain)
    Agnostic

3. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Okay, if one more person posts saying their humanist I will go postal.

Humanism is not a religion..at all. This thread is called "What religion do you belong to?" So don't say things that aren't religions.

Humanism is a philosophy. Not a religion.

Even the people who initially started the humanist moment hundreds of years ago said it was not a religion, it was a philosophy. This is because they recognize no God, no spirit, no religious holidays, no religious things what-so-ever. Humanists can be any religion. Humanists can be Muslim, Jewish, Christian, Satanic, and so on. But that doesn't make humanism a religion. It's main purpose is the institute the same values as religion, without being a religion.

It's a bit like how a square is a rectangle but a rectangle isn't a square. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#43 Lady Gaga, Jul 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2010
  4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    God either doesn't exist or gave up on the human race long ago.

5. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

This is basically my atheist point of view.

And if God does exist, and he gave up on humanity, he doesn't deserve worshiping.

6. Apocalypte

Atheist. I was baptised, confirmed and educated as Catholic, but really never had any faith and have described myself as atheist since I was about 12.

I'm currently waiting on a reply from the Archdiocese of Dublin to my official defection request. Countmeout.ie ftw :slight_smile:

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, I can't blame him. He brought a message of love and we turned it into kill everyone

8. pirateninja

I am an agnostic. I am open to the idea of a higher power, however I have not yet witnessed something that convinces me of it.

9. VampConspiracy

Atheist. Not much to add.

10. EM68

I was baptized Greek Orthodox. Went to church there for a few years then went to Catholic mass because my dad is Catholic. Now I don't go to church. I consider myself spiritual if anything.

11. djt820

I will go with answer C, None. Final answer.

12. RainbowJay

I'm so Atheist that I enjoyed the book "The God Delusion." XD

13. xCrazyInsanity

Spiritual not religious
    Not exactly a 'higher power'... not atheist.

14. otc877

otc877 Guest

A friend and I were talking about that very sect of satanism. I was going to bring it up but you beat me to it.

Personally I'm agnostic. I definitely don't believe in god in the traditional sense (omnipotent being, all seeing, all encompassing, infinite love with infinite wrath). I don't really like to entertain the idea of some sort of spiritual something, but I can't be certain. So, I take the "safe" route and label myself as agnostic. Though I rarely talk about religion (unless I'm pretty drunk and friends bring it up).

15. paco

paco Guest

i sit on the border of atheism and agnosticism.

i suppose that could be considered hypocritical, i haven't actually done research to see where i technically stand, but that's how i think of it.

i don't believe in a higher power or a god, or a definite continued existence of consciousness, but i can't really deny the possibility of any of it. a family friend once supposed to me that consciousness or the powers of God could be a form of energy, which cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transferred. and consciousness could be a form of energy that we don't know how to measure, electricity was once a form of energy that we couldn't measure, but look at what we've got now, it's hard to imagine that electricity didn't exist and couldn't be imagined by people once.

so who knows, there could be an afterlife of some kind or there could not, but i won't pretend to understand it.

and i guess as long as i'm expressing my opinion, i'll state that i can't see how God exists according to religions. if God is all powerful and all knowing, i don't see why worship is important to any religion, God should understand how we feel without that kind of ritual. and if i was to consider any religion, i would combine aspects of nondualist Hinduism Buddhism and Daoism, and then not limit it to any specific rules because no 2 people can experience anything in the same way.

#55 paco, Jul 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2010
  16. Inhuman

Calling myself an atheist would be like calling the sun "hot". I identify more as a psychopathic evangelical antitheist with a vengeance.

My heart is too small to harbor hatred . . . unless it's directed at religion.

17. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Religion is supposed to accomplish two things: giving us something to live for, and telling us how to act. In Christianity, that's going to heaven and generally being nice to other people, respectively. Most religions use a God or gods as the motivating factor for both of these goals. Atheism doesn't accomplish these two things, and thus isn't a religion, but Humanism does; the fact that it doesn't use a God to do them is what makes it special. If you consider Buddhism or LaVeyan Satanism to be a religion, then Humanism must be one as well. If you don't consider Buddhism or LaVeyan Satanism to be religions, then I cannot critique your opinion.

18. jazzrawr

I just read that book, it was freaking fantastic! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm agnostic/somewhat spiritual. I don't think it's my place to say whether or not a higher power exists.

20. ANightDude

It's called Helenismos, I think. Modern worship of the Greek gods.