1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What "race" should I identify as? How do you write your "race" on forms?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Jan 15, 2014.

1. AlamoCity

Two part question:

I consider myself Hispanic and my family has lived in Texas for well over 100 years to around the time of the Civil War. On many countless birth certificates and Censuses, all of my ancestors that I have records of have had their "Race or Color" listed as "White," without exception. My own birth certificate doesn't have that designation because "Race" was no longer recorded on them by the time I was born, but my dad's does. The thing is, I don't really "look" white or have "Caucasoid" features.

Whenever I get official forms, like school forms, I generally choose for race "White" because that's all that's been ever legally recorded for my family; for ethnicity, though, I will check on the "Hispanic/Latin descent" box. I feel bad because there have been times where the only options were literally: American Indian or Alaska Native (with the kicker that you must have tribal affiliation or community attachment), Asian, Black or African American, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, or White. I will sometimes have "Other" as a choice, but it's just so confusing at times; I suppose something along the lines of "multiracial" or "biracial" might work. It's just hard to condense your identity when it's a box you must check. Any suggestions, besides leaving the part blank?
    ____

Also, how do you write your "race" on forms? Ever question what to write or check?

2. Hexagon

Generally, I write go fuck yourself. I dislike forms that ask for it, it seems like a recipe for discrimination.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually tick afro-chinese, 'cause you know, I'm about as pale white as you can get.

I say usually, because I've never really filled in a form that asked me that, since they are optional!

4. Thedistra

I go with Caucasian usually, or prefer not to answer. I'm a blend of Caucasian, Native American and African American so Putting that is a bit I don't know odd.

Only ever seen that on school forms for like Meap Tests and such. So it has been many a year since I've filled out such a form.

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Caucasion/white

6. apostrophied

I'd say you should go with white since that's what's been used in your family's history. Just so that people don't go, "Ok so, white, white, white, white, white... hold on, did they steal a kid there??!" when looking at your family history (I don't know who looks at that kind of thing, mind you...). Jkjk, but you get what I mean. Or if you like, bi-racial when that is an option, since you seem to be a mix of white and hispanic.

Me, I'm white, there's really no ambiguity about it lol so that's what I write. Yeah technically, I probably have a few drops of Native American blood, but I wouldn't even know where it's from, and I most definitely do not look like I do haha.

7. Mace

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Fully agree!! In the country I live it's even not allowed to ask for someone's race. But then again, in Europe we have historically bad experiences with central databases containing race/religion information of normal citizens. It made it much easier for the Nazis to round up the Jews during WW2.

Maybe, this explains also that we are not so fond of the NSA currently.:icon_wink

Moreover, why do they want to know? What difference does it make whether you're black, white, yellow, pink or purple? You're American right? That should be sufficient.

8. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I prefer to put decline to state when I have to answer. For forms that disallow that, I put white or Caucasian. I consider the UK and Ireland the mother countries, Germany the ornery grandpa, and Canada the little sister who gets all the attention and cool stuff, so I'm pretty white.

9. Hexagon

Me? Nah.

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like this answer.

AC, it depends. And, at the same time, there are no rules. What constitutes white or caucasian is broader than what most people think. It includes those from Europe, the Middle East, and North Africa. While North African is one from any of the countries located above sub-Saharan Africa, where the Middle East ends is unclear, at least to me.

Getting back to Hispanic, a Spaniard from Spain should be checking the box that says white. Though, because of a surname, they may choose not to. An Argentine with grandparents, 2 generations up, who came from Spain and Italy should also be checking white but, again, may choose not to and check Hispanic. I really think that the designation was meant to include, and protect, those who have a Mestizo, or part indigenous, ancestral line. At what point does it become irrelevant: at 1/8 or at 1/16? I don't know. All I know, or think, is that most people with ancestry in Central and South America, outside of Brazil, probably check the Hispanic box. I'm sure there are some who adamantly will not do so. A friend of mine used to do mortgages and it had that question on a form. A lady from a South American country did not like this question because she was ancestrally white, and when the Hispanic portion of the form offered sub-boxes for Mexican, Puerto Rican, Dominican, and Cuban, she was so put off by it and went to an altogether different part of the form, titled Other, and wrote in the name of her country on the fill-in line. That was funny.

11. Hexagon

Yeah. Moreover, why does it matter. And why do they care? I understand the importance of racial heritage to some, but I don't see how that has a place on official forms. By encouraging us to separate ourselves from each other, it only encourages further fragmentation in society, and fuck knows we have too much of that.

12. Sarcastic Luck

If it's for colleges and universities, putting down what ethnic group you are is important in getting scholarships since there are a metric fuck ton of them geared towards minority groups.

At least in the United States.

13. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Only certain minorities. My parents are from India, and Indians already are overrepresented in universities to the point that I've heard some of them don't list their ethnicity to avoid being negatively affected.

14. Sarcastic Luck

Depends on where you're at. I've been to two community college that served different areas and the groups represented there was vastly different. Honestly? I might have met one and I'm hesitant to say that since I'm not sure if she actually was.

15. Nikky DoUrden

I always wanted to be an half-elf :grin:

16. Caleb93

I'm as white as you can get, but I usually leave that question blank, or if there is an option for "other," I check that box and write "human." There's no reason anyone needs to know my race unless they're my doctor.

17. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I'm Hispanic, Latino, etc, but would never fill out "White" or "Caucasian" on a form, because I'm not. If we're speaking culturally, I probably have more in common with other Westerners, but racially, I've more indigenous makeup than your average American (even those who claim tribal ancestry), and can easily pass for a Hapa.

As for my own answers, it varies.

18. Mace

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sorry for my ignorance. But than again, I live in a "semi communist" country were you don't need a scholarship for a decent education. Downside is, to pay for that and many other things, we have to pay up to 52% tax on your income. It's what you prefer. Personally, I prefer our system.

19. Sarcastic Luck

Lol, I actually admire the netherlands, sweden, and countries like that due to their pretty decent system for everything. I have a friend from sweden and I was pretty surprised when he told me that he was paid to go to school, though, I believe it was the general education and not university.

But, yes, scholarships are about the only way most people can get higher education here, even then they have to take out loans. The only people that don't have to worry about scholarships/loans are quite wealthy.

20. itsonlyrelative

If the option is "Caucasian" I do not select it because technically that means your ancestors are from the Caucasus Mountain area and my ancestors are not from that area. I will only select the option that says "white". If there is no option that says "white" then I will say "other" or refuse to give an answer because it would be providing false information.

[​IMG]

If they want to fit me into a box then I am going to make very sure that I am put into the most accurate one.