What quotes speak to you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CodeForLife, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Cider

My signature. I love the play of words. *swoon*

2. Sevan

"The finest qualities of our nature, like the bloom on fruits, can be preserved only by the most delicate handling. Yet we do not treat ourselves nor one another thus tenderly." - Henry D. Thoreau (Walden, Economy)

"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered." - Tom Stoppard

"As a grown man, I’ve heard that Nod never was a nation—of Cain’s offspring, or anyone— but a mistranslation of “wander,” so Cain could go wherever, and be in Nod. Far more than in God, I believe in Cain, who destroyed his own brother, and therefore in any city could have his wish, and be alone." - James Arthur (The Land of Nod)

"The orator yields to the inspiration of a transient occasion, and speaks to the mob before him, to those who can hear him; but the writer, whose more equable life is his occasion, and who would be distracted by the event and the crowd which inspire the orator, speaks to the intellect and heart of mankind, to all in any age who can understand him." Henry D. Thoreau (Walden, Reading)

Walden is one of my favorite books. I have a copy that's riddled with notations.. Sorry if these quotes are longer than most. But the full meaning is in their entirety, and so it is important that they are as long as they are.

3. Blackbirdz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

4. Lazuri

"In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength." -- Uncle Iroh

"If you look for the light, you can often find it--if you look for the dark, then darkness is all you will ever see." -- Uncle Iroh

"Normalcy is an illusion. What's normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Addams

"We're all just stories in the end. Make it a good one." -- The Eleventh Doctor

"We're all different people, all through our lives, and that's okay--you gotta keep moving--as long as you still remember all the people that you used to be." -- The Eleventh Doctor

"This wallpaper is atrocious. Either it or I have to go." -- Oscar Wilde, right before dying.

"I am vengeance. I am the night! I. AM. BATMAN!" -- The Fuckmothering Batman

5. Rainbows~Exist

Nearly every Rorschach quote ever... here's a few:

"I heard a joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Life seems harsh, and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world. Doctor says: "Treatment is simple. The great clown - Pagliacci - is in town. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. "But doctor..." he says "I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains."

"Rorschach's Journal. October 12th, 1985: Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."

"You see, Doctor, God didn't kill that little girl. Fate didn't butcher her and destiny didn't feed her to those dogs. If God saw what any of us did that night he didn't seem to mind. From then on I knew... God doesn't make the world this way. We do."

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."

"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist."

6. penta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just a few of my favourites :
    My genitals do not define me
    Nothing lasts forever even cold November rain (guns 'n roses)
    Life is a bitch, but even a bitch has her weaknesses ( me )
    Never lose hope, good things will hapen.
    Stand tall, walk with pride, dont go down without a fight! (Me)
    Words don't kill, it's the people who interpret them wrong that do.

#26 penta, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  7. RisingSun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I recently watched Little Miss Sunshine and what Dwayne said after his dreams got crushed was amazing:

"Life is one fucking beauty contest after another. School, then college, then work... Fuck that. And fuck the Air Force Academy. If I want to fly, I'll find a way to fly. You do what you love, and fuck the rest."

8. DeadheadPride

"Someday, everything's gonna be different, when I paint my masterpiece." - (Originally Bob Dylan but when Bob Weir sings it its' awesome)

9. Jellal

"When an ant stands in your path, do you stop to consider it a fool?"

10. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First off, excuse this long-ass post of a gazillion mixed quotes. :lol:
    To appropriately describe this post: "I need a fucking life!" -Me
    I was going to break this into two parts, but might as well post it all in one.
    ------------
    My sig.

"One trip through this world -Don't blow it!" -Carlgustav

“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." -George R.R. Martin (Game of Thrones)

“When I discover who I am, I’ll be free.” -Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man

“Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life, but define yourself.” -Harvey Fierstein

“I am a citizen of the world.” -Sylvia Beach

“Over the years, I have come to realize that the greatest trap in our life is not success, popularity, or power, but self-rejection." -Henry J.M. Nouwen

“Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice." -Steve Jobs

“I'm not really sure which parts of myself are real and which parts are things I've gotten from books.” -Beatrice Sparks

“I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it." Orson Scott Card

“Through others we become ourselves.” -Lev S. Vygotsky

“You'll stay with me?'
    Until the very end,' said James.” -J.K. Rowling (HP book 7)

“So many books, so little time.” -Frank Zappa

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” -Albert Einstein

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.” -Charles Schulz

“Accio Brain!” -J.K. Rowling (HP book 5)

"Always," said Snape.” -J.K. Rowling (HP book 7)
    ------------
    Seemingly Endless Post Part 1 concluded. Phew!

#30 ErickWolf, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  11. GeneralAlly

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "Boy, girl, it doesn't mean a thing. Cuteness justifies all!"
    ~ Random old dude from Love Stage!! Episode 9.

12. bookandquill

Out Status:
    A few people
    I like this one: "Nothing is worse than the secret humiliation of being insulted by proxy."

13. Hopeful

"Life flies by in seconds." ~Gracie, Ben Folds

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." ~Galdalf, J.R.R. Toilken

"Speak your mind - even if your voice shakes." ~Margaret Mead

14. Yeety

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I had to choose my top 5, I'd say all of them are from musicians that are mostly considered "emo." I do warn, the last quote contains a curse word, known as the "F-Bomb."

5. Kurt Cobain, Nirvana: "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not."

4. Billie Joe Armstrong, Green Day: "Our passion is our strength."

3. Andy Biersack, Black Veil Brides: "When people hurt you over and over, think of them like sandpaper. They may scratch and hurt you a bit, but in the end you end up polished and they end up useless."

2. Alex Gaskarth, All Time Low: "There's absolutely nothing worse than giving up on a life of endless potential, so don't. Tear down what you hate and rebuild."

1. Gerard Way, My Chemical Romance: "Fuck everyone who hates you, a smile is the best revenge." <---- I happen to live by this.
    Those are my favorite quotes. Bye.

15. Spacewalker

“No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.”

“Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.”

“You will not be punished for your anger; you will be punished by your anger.”

“If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete.”
    ― Gautama Buddha

16. YinYang

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." -Professor Dumbledore

17. randomconnorcon

THIS.

And Harvey Milk - "Rights are won only by those who make their voices heard."

They're to be tattoos.