1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What isn't racist?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Secrets5, Jan 19, 2016.

1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While there are different levels of racism, such as overt and covert racism, as well as microaggressions, they all still fall under the overarching term "racist". Sorry, if said grandma falls under the said definition, she is a racist or has some sort of racist ideology. Admitting that isn't equating them to the KKK and other white supremacist groups, but their ideology is still engrained in racism, and it's important to look at the systems that make certain people act in a racist matter within society.

And to answer the original question, the term "all races are beautiful" was in direct response to an affirmation of black beauty on twitter under the hashtag #blackisbeautiful. It was essentially white people being offended that everything was not centered around them and their experiences in said hashtag, so they decided to make the "all races are beautiful" in response to it. Not necessarily because they truly believe that, but to derail the affirmation of black people's beauty.

2. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Finally.........
    Best of all is that the white race, compared to others, IS UGLY... MUWAHAHAHAAA

Now that is some racism... But is it reeeeally racism when it comes from a white man?

Come on, this thread......................

3. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people

4. smurf

The main problem when you are talking about racism is the definition of racism that people use.

Like you said, you see racism defined as people saying "don't eat in my dinner" "I'm better than you because I'm white". If that is how you define racism, then yeah you start to have a point.

The thing is, social scientists don't measure or define racism like you do. Racism, or any time of -ism, is defined as systematic oppression at a macro level. Social scientists then make the difference between racism and prejudice. One is a systematic problem and the other is an individual holding and acting on certain prejudices against other people.

And the difference matters. The definition that you use is useless in today's world. We cannot measure the impact of racist systems by using your definition and we cannot move forward either by simply thinking that the only way to be racist is to kick people out of your dinner or by saying the n-word.

#24 smurf, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  5. Kinky

Kinky Guest

People add -ism and -phobia to just about everything these days, which is why I don't take most of the social issues here seriously. At best, they are amusing and at worse they are just annoying.
    I certainly want to see the day no one use the concept of microaggression. It seem to increase racial tension by making people too wary of offending each other. Yes, you might argue that it's real, that it's harmful, that its purpose is 'true and noble'. Well, I haven't seen how that has been useful thus far beside a popular term among academical social circle and activists.

6. smurf

Its a term coined in 1970s. You know, around the time people of color were able to have even more access to academia, wealth and other spaces. But sure, a time before the concept sounds wonderful.

Microaggression is a useful concept that allows people of color to understand where some of their pain and even trauma is coming from. It also allows people to implement coping strategies that they can use to navigate certain spaces. The word isn't meant to erase racism. The word is meant to empower people of color. And it has worked spectacular ever since.

Everyone that complains about politically correctness just wants to go back to a time where they could easily ignore people of color. Where their speech had no consequences. The only argument to these movements is "it annoys me and you should cater to my needs"

7. R M

R M

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Something racist is just when you say something bad or "not nice"about a race. It's also racist to treat people different because of their race. If you're white, you can still be racist about white people. Like if you say: "white people are dumb.". You're white, but you're still racist, because you attach a statement or something like that to a race. Some African American people use the N word. That's still racist, because of the history behind the use of the word and what it stands for. That's racist as well. I hope this makes sense btw ahahah sorry english is not my first language.

8. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I once got called racist because I went on a themed pub crawl where I had to dress up as a gorilla, so I painted myself black. But ffs, gorillas are black, it's nothing to do with race, it's what colour they are. -.-

9. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not racist to say "everyone of x race is beautiful" unless it's to the point of fetishization, in my opinion.

---------- Post added 21st Jan 2016 at 10:01 AM ----------

That's probably because of the misuse of "blackface" which is in reference to a certain kind of comedy which sort of turns black people into a caricature, rather than anyone painting themselves black for any reason.

10. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    ... Your comment made me laugh. That person who called you racist must have been very ignorant about gorillas. Hahaha