1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is your preferred gender pronoun?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Jan 9, 2014.

1. AlamoCity

I was reading an article on Huffington Post ('Preferred' Pronouns Gain Traction At US Colleges) and was wondering what you prefer to be called, including more honorific forms of address. I have trouble with this because I usually "sir" or "ma'am" most anyone in public. This topic is very challenging to me because, just like it's almost impossible for me not to use "y'all," much to the chagrin of others, it's very difficult for me to address people I'm not familiar with without using Sir/Ma'am/Mr./Mrs. (those with neutral titles, such as Doctor or Professor, excepted).

As an example, I prefer/don't mind: Sir, Mr., he, him

2. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Preferred? Ze/Hir/Hirs but I'm fine with male pronouns, so as not to confuse everybody. Only one person ever used "ze" with me.

3. Grimm

Prefer female pronouns. But I don't care if people that don't know me use male ones. Unfortunately, there's nothing right now to suggest that they do otherwise, and they're not trying to hurt me intentionally, so I just let it slide.

I also use sir/ma'am for pretty much everyone, because that's how I was raised to be polite to people. I figure it works for the grand majority of people, and you'd rather I use something different, I promise to apologize profusely and never mess it up again, so long as you correct me.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't mind being called any of the male pronouns, except for Sir ... especially when I'm dressed down. I don't even mind being called "that guy over there ..." as long as the person in the store actually comes over to help me!

AC, I'm not surprised that you use Sir and Ma'am. I believe that's regional and the South Central and the South tend to be more mannered when it comes to addressing others ... at least initially.

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a cis-male, I obviously prefer "him" and all the related pronouns.

I just use the singular "they" when I don't know a person's gender until I'm told otherwise, but that's never happened. In Spanish and French it's way harder to do it; everything being gendered makes neutrality really hard/impossible.

6. Hexagon

Male pronouns are fine, though I wouldn't be opposed to ze/they. Mr still seems odd, as does sir, but that's just because I'm young, and unaccustomed to that sort of thing.

7. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't really have a strong preference when it comes to pronouns, so long that they're not disrespectful in some way. There are times when I'm perfectly okay with male ones, and others where they make me want to rip the person's head off, so there's really no way to predict things like this.

If it were up to me, everyone would use gender neutral pronouns when referring to me, but since that's not possible, the best I can hope for is that their use of pronouns matches how I'm feeling on that day. The exception might be with family members who have always seen me as their son, brother, nephew, etc. and those I have a personal relationship with. For example, ex-boyfriend.

I played a certain role, and don't feel terribly uncomfortable acknowledging my part in relationships with others. There are trans women who are fine being acknowledged as their child's "father" or the "husband" to their wife.

8. Beware Of You

Sine I identify as Genderqueer and I get times where I am really effiminate (Cross dressing to the point of passing) my boyfriend and people in the LGBT groups call me they.

But really I don't care

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like to have male pronouns when being referred to. I don't mind if people use neutral pronouns though. I just don't like to have feminine pronouns used for me.

10. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I really appreciate when people take the effort to use Spivak, ze/hir, or general neutral pronouns with me. I wish the majority of people would, but I understand that's not a realistic expectation.

Other than neutral, I'm fine with male pronouns. Anything but feminine pronouns, which make me very uncomfortable. At this point, they don't register with me at all.

11. AlexTheBlogger

My pronouns are he/him/his/himself.
    I also accept the neutral treatment, but don't like the neutral pronouns, since there aren't any of this type in my mother tongue.

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I prefer she or zer.

13. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Female pronouns, and I'll be a little upset when people get them wrong! I understand WHY they get them wrong, but it's still troubling.

14. theskywreck

I like the standard male pronouns, along with 'sir' or 'mister'. However, no one has used them with me yet.

15. animequeen567

I'm okay with anything as long as it's not rude.

16. 70th City

I'd be offended if anyone used anything other than male pronouns.

17. Techno Kid

I prefer the gender neutral pronouns "they/their" or just use my name. :slight_smile:

18. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    He. Him. His. Sir. Mister. Etc.
    Neutral titles and pronouns are okay, I guess, but they aren't as catchy as male ones IMO.
    TBH, I think any other neutral pronoun besides "they/them/their" sounds silly.
    It's he, she, or they with me. I cannot remember that many pronouns.
    I am bothered by being referred to as a girl, but I'm in the closet still, so I can't expect too much.

19. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Obviously being a cis-male, male pronouns are fine with me, but stuff like ze and they is fine too.

20. purplekitty

I like they the most. Ne is okay too, but I don't like the other neutral pronouns. They sound a little weird to me. Most people use female pronouns for me though. I don't mind too much, as long as they're not heavily gendering me when they use gendered pronouns. I think Mixter (Mx.) is fine, but sir/ma'am sound a little weird to me. But that could be because of my age; I'm not used to people calling me ma'am.