1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is my brother's deal?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kevin k, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Kevin k

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    So, for starters, I'm not all that open about my sexuality. Every stereotype about an old fashioned straight man is basically me, except I'm gay. I don't advertise or change the way I talk, in fact, everyone I know says I'm "stealth gay" as they had no clue until I told them I had a bf. That being said, my brother is the complete opposite. He dresses and acts stereotypically gay, (skinny jeans, dyed comb over hair, v neck shirts, even painting his nails) but he has a girlfriend. So is he gay and his gf is a cover up or is he just an odd ball that dresses and acts rather... flamboyant. He paints hus nails for God's sake though, even my pride upsessed bf doesn't do that.. am I labeling here or am I on to something? Not that it's any of my business anyway, just saying..

niewo likes this.
  2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everything except the nail painting just sounds like a normal straight hipster. The nail painting is really weird for a straight guy though...

I'd go with flamboyant oddball if he has a girlfriend though. If he were actually gay and hiding it, then he must realize he's doing a horrible job at hiding it, which seems to suggest he's not hiding anything.

niewo and gravechild like this.
  3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Meh. Tough to say. There is at least a familial trait that may or may not be genetic to being gay, in that it isn't uncommon for more than one sibling in a family to be gay. So I wouldn't rule it out, and the things you point to would certainly be consistent with that. As for the girlfriend, lots of totally gay guys had girlfriends before figuring themselves out. (Destin can attest to this).

The bottom line is, you can't really know until he tells you. And if he is, *he* may not even be fully aware yet. So the best you can do is be a good brother and simply give him space.

#3 Chip, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    niewo and Destin like this.