1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is dysphoria like to you?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by processingerror, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my god, I totally understand where you're coming from. "Our handsome strong son... Blah blah blah".

I cringe hearing that.

It does feel like I'm living a lie. When I have fun, I feel like I'm faking it if I have to be "him" instead of her.

I need to drink and get intoxicated to dance, but when I get to express myself in the feminine I'll hop right on the dance floor and get down. I'm comfortable with myself and frankly I don't care.

It's a wonderful feeling to be yourself.

I don't hate my body in as much as some other younger trans people do, because I can cover most of it. The thing I do want to modify is my neck up. Getting older and well... No way in hell will anyone see my real hair.

My face and head I am quite dysphoric over though.

2. Clancularius

Clancularius Guest

I'm lucky I was starting to get a bad drinking habit, until I finally stopped because all alcohol did to me was temporally get dull the dysphoria and then it would come back and enduring dysphoria and school with a hangover is a VERY annoying experience.

3. Bastian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you for your comment. I actually have so little experience that I can´t imagine something like a functional dynamic. As stupid as it is, sex was for me always something strange.
    But I like what you said in the last sentence. "When it was possible to forget my gender."
    Wow. I think this is something I´d love to experience.
    Thanks.

4. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's gotten so much better. I only run into an issue when people tell me things that only have two do with male or female:

- "You aren't a man!"
    - "It's wrong for you to wear men's clothes"
    - "You don't wear enough women's clothes"
    - Being referred to by female pronouns.
    - Suggestions that I should or need to be more feminine, (a traditional female).

#24 PlantSoul, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Mine's gotten better but I still have my days. Most of it's social. Like if I'm ma'am'd or someone deadnames, misgenders me and so on, then it can ruin my whole day. I got pretty dysphoric the other day when I had to pick up a prescription and I was in a waiting room at a predominately woman's clinic, getting pills for a problem everyone associates as a "woman's problem".

At this point no one really uses my birth name, except for my mother (who I rarely talk to) and the government (who I seem to be talking to in some capacity to all the freaking time). I know the latter I'll be able to change soon but I'm waiting until I move and get settled. Hopefully I can take care of it before I transfer to my new school.

As far as physical dysphoria, this actually lessened. Mostly it's my voice that I get really dysphoric about, plus not having a lot of facial hair.

What helped, weirdly enough, was sort of thinking of myself as a guy with some kind of condition. Which is basically what I am as a trans guy. Yeah, I've got a chest but I consider myself to be a bear- bears are supposed to have a bit of a chest. Bottom half- well, I'll never be as big as my boyfriend. This is a little TMI but it was pointed out to me that I've basically got what looks like a cismale microdick. So that's how I think of it, oddly enough, as my microdick.

6. DarkWolf

Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess my experience is little different from other people. This sounds a little narcissistic but when I look at my body I think it's attractive but it isn't the body I wanted. If I could just give my femininely figure and reproductive system to someone else I would so do but sadly I can't really do that.

I feel strange having my hips so much wider than my waist. I like sleeping on my back sometimes because of the way it makes my chest feel and look though still not perfect. I am also a little uncomfortable with the fact that I am not six feet tall and that my shoulders are more narrow. It's not so clear about my bottom-half but sometimes I am just find it weird that it's so...flat? And the fact that by being born with this reproductive system I can never be a biological father.

As for socially, I wonder if I had a deeper voice would people perceive me as male? And if I just look like a really tall twelve year old boy. And sometimes I think about when I was younger (before I thought of myself as transgender) people kept telling me I should be a model because I'm thin and tall for someone female-bodied. >_>

7. silentscorpio

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I feel dysphoric I feel violated. This is mostly physical dysphoria for me though. Although I'm quite okay with my given lower half and bear it with pride, I do on occasion get dysphoric over it.

If I'm feeling dysphoric over being misgendered it's a bit like feeling violated and bit like what I've been calling "gender PTSD." It's kinda like I feel like I'm screaming out who I am but no one's listening to me and there's no real reason why they shouldn't so I get this sense of invisibility and it sends me in to a panic. I have nightmares about this sort of scenario frequently. Sometimes it also feels like I'm not a real person. But since I've been able to understand my gender better that particular feeling has been going away.