1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What instrumens do you play?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Theagonist, Mar 29, 2013.

1. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    Piano! I played it for about 6 years now, and I can play a few songs! I wanted to play violin, but I couldn't since we didn't have enough money to buy one so I could practise.

2. yidnah87

I used to play cello middle school through high school. I didn't really continue into college due to other commitments.

3. Bebop

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Piano since I was around 8, would like to learn saxophone or cello someday.

4. godoftheatre

godoftheatre Guest

I took piano lessons for 5 or 6 years when I was younger. I don't play quite as much anymore. I'm mostly just a singer now. :slight_smile:

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I play nothing now. I think I can remember how to find "C" on a piano.

In the past:
    • 4-5 grade I was in the school choir. Highlight: the concert we sung "What Should We Do With the Drunken Sailor?" I bet that one would not fly in today's world. Nor would the Christmas songs, for that matter.
    • In 6th grade, the school did some downsizing. The music teacher vanished, and got replaced by The Wicked Witch. I lost interest in choir before it even started that year.
    • From 6th grade to early high school, I played trombone in the band. I was never great. Except for one time, I was never anywhere near first chair. (As my 8th grade teacher joked, I was first chair from the cabinet.) Of course, the sections were small--often only 3 guys. But I was not the greatest with practicing, and my 8th grade teacher frankly thought the trombone was a bad match for me. (Getting the slide right. He felt something where you hit a key, and get the right note more or less automatically would have been better. If he'd stayed another year, he planned to move me to the baritone horn.)
    • 7th grade brought a music class, during which we learned a little piano. We never got any further than "Mary Had a Little Lamb."
    • I played a bit with the recorder maybe about 10 years ago, but never got very far.

6. SleeplessS

guitar, acoustic, electric

7. Mysz

I am jealous of all the piano players on here, it's a great thing to learn- so many songs and arrangements are done for piano that you never have a shortage of music! :slight_smile:
    I play violin- very addicted to it, though getting that rich full vibrato is quite beyond me. I am going to name my instrument once I buy my own instead of rent :slight_smile:
    Hey, and Sherlock Holmes played violin, so that's enough incentive for me to continue :grin:
    :eusa_booh

8. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Supposedly it's not hard to learn "popular" piano, if that helps. One person has even taught a system where one uses "cheat" books and only really learns the right hand, and the left hand just does chords. I can't remember his name, but he has appeared on PBS specials, and has written a book as I recall.

Classical piano, on the other hand, is "just" a bit more difficult. I remember watching one pianist once whose hands were flying all over the place....

As long as one doesn't sound like this (violin starts at about 1:12): The Jack Benny Show - Violin Lesson - YouTube

9. Mysz

As long as one doesn't sound like this (violin starts at about 1:12): The Jack Benny Show - Violin Lesson - YouTube[/QUOTE]

He has such talent! :lol:

The left-hand chord playing is about all I can do, + reading bass clef is also very slow. I am in awe of those pianists whose fingers go every which way, and on occasion, they cross their left arm over their right during a piece while maintaining form.

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I play the trombone, baritone, tuba and handbells.

11. asmith6543

I was a flute boy from 6-8th grade. We were often made fun of. Slowly we dropped like flies out of band. Why do guys get picked on for playing the flute?

Just FYI, I tried for the trumpet but was told I did not have the lips for it, hence the flute

12. Bassplayer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's interesting. I see more people told they dont have the lips for flute!

13. Convoy

I used to play guitar somewhat sporadically but I've kind of dropped off recently with school and everything.

I might get back into it though, work a little bit to get to know it better (I can play just fine, memorize scales/keys/chords and all but I can't read music; It would be benifical if I could get to that point).

14. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The funny thing was that Jack Benny was supposed to have been a decent violinist. It was one of those cases of you have to be good to sound so bad.

---------- Post added 30th Mar 2013 at 11:56 PM ----------

I've wondered about this one, too.

15. Piano, Tenori-on, Monome. I find acoustic instruments incredibly boring. I also play hang and steel drum.

16. Owlish

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I sing and write songs with my ukulele, which has been a really great outlet. A friend of the family has a studio so I might get to record an EP over the summer which is really exciting :slight_smile: I also dabble with piano (my dad's a pianist) and I've been playing violin since I was 5 but I don't practice nearly as much as I should :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. tommytwoways

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I did guitar for 4 years but found it boring
    then did sax for a year but found it boring/hard work
    a now for the past year have been doing piano

so can more or less play them all

(I also did violin when I was like 5 so .... quit when started using the bow lol) (!)

18. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Voice, Guitar, Drums, Bass, Clarinet, Saxaphone, and a little bit of Piano/Keyboards/Synthesizers, Trumpet, Violin, and Ukulele (I'm still learning every instrument though. There's always something new to be learned!) :grin:

19. fairlyfey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Alto Sax, but not in a while...

I'd like to learn guitar or ukulele

20. HermionieCullen

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I play guitar and piano and i just got a ukulele for my birthday and I'm attempting to learn that too :slight_smile: I also sing and do a lot of cafe gigs and stuff :slight_smile: