1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if she hates it?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by GlassWalls, Dec 13, 2017.

1. GlassWalls

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My crush wants to read my writing!
    I've always hoped that they would someday read it, but now, suddenly that they want to read it, I'm realizing all these fears I have over it. What if they hate it?? What if they think of me as a lesser person after they read it and deem it bad writing??
    I think what I'm most afraid of is them being offended though. What if they think one of the "evil" characters is themselves and then take offense? I think this is my biggest fear over sharing it with them. I was so sure while writing it that all of the characters were unique and not based on real life people, but I feel like it's so possible for someone who knows me to read into it and try to see themselves as one of the characters. So excited and worried! I'm wexcited! See! Just look at the horrible new word I just "made"!

2. jam93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm usually very nervous when I share my writing with someone, for many of the same reason's you've mentioned. For the most part, I've found that most of my worries are unfounded. As long as your a compitent writer you shouldn't have to worry to much about them thinking it's trash. They may have some critacisms, but so long as they aren't mean, try to take them as constructive suggestions. After all, why do you want someone else to read it except to see how you did? If they like it great. But if they like some parts and not others, even better. Then you know where you did well, and where you did not. Take note on that, and use it to improve your writing further. That's how you get better.
    As for worrying about them thinking the characters are them, that kind of depends on whether the character is or not. If the character is not based on your crush, i highly doubt this will be an issue. Most people don't go looking for themselves in other peoples writings. If you did base a character on your crush, it may or may not be noticable, depending on how close the character is to the original. If you based them loosely on your crush, maybe using thier sense of humer as inspiration but changing most of the rest, then I doubt it will be an issue. Even if it is s more close match, I kind of doubt they will notice. Our perception of ourselves is often pretty different from other peoples perception of us. Since your character would be based on your perception of your crush, and not thier perception of themselves, they likely wouldn't notice, since the two are not the same. The only way I could really see this as an issue, is if you litteraly just put them, using thier discription and name, into the story. They would probably notice that.
    Basically, I would say do it. Getting constructive critacism is good for your writing, use it as a way to grow. I think a lot of your fears are likely unfounded. So let your crush read it. I hope they like it.

GlassWalls likes this.
  3. GlassWalls

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been attempting to read over the part I'm going to share with her and I just keep cringing. I'm not sure I'm in the right mindset to edit right now but I'm super embarrassed about it. I just hope she likes it. If I get lucky it will be her style. If not she'll probably just laugh throughout the whole time reading it then lie to me and say she likes it. I'm a little worried that she won't be honest if she hates it.

4. jam93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would recomend not changing things now. Go through, check for minor things like tense shifts, spelling or punctuation errors, and stuff like that, but don't change the plot or anything. That is a slippery slope. You change one detail, and suddely you have to rewrite the whole thing. You don't need that kind of stress, not now.
    One thing to keep in mind with writing, and really any form of art, is that we are sometimes more critical of ourselves then our readers are. We made the thing, we know what it is supposed to be, so we can see any little flaws. Your reader does not know what you intended, or meant it to be, so they can't see the little mistakes. Unless they are specifically trying to be critical, they will likely not be as harsh as you are.
    If you want feadback, and feel confident sharing with an internet stranger, I'd be happy to read a excert and give you some feedback. I'm no expert, more a casual hobbyest. But I did take some creative writing classes in college, where I read through and edited my classmates work. Not saying you have to, mind, just saying that I could if that might help put your mind at ease.
    Anyway good luck, hope things go well.

GlassWalls likes this.
  5. GlassWalls

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you! I'm afraid if I get feedback I'll be tempted to edit. I can't even read it right now without getting shy and embarrassed and closing the window. It's weird how I can't even read my own writing now when a few months ago I was literally reading it over and over again trying to prepare it for sending out query letters. I just keep mentally imagining how she'll react to it I guess. So far the people I've shared it with have been critical and it's caused me to make some large and some minor changes. I feel like I don't have the focus right now to make anymore of those changes. It's like you said, when you make one change it effects everything. I recently discovered a mistake (maybe a month or so ago) caused by a change, and it was like, a change in chapter one effected something in chapter 13, so if you make one change sometimes you have to reread the entire manuscript.