1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if making friends doesn’t work

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Mihael, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    in order not to spam in another thread, I want to ask in my own thread.

It was said that groups related to hobbies and interests golive better chances to find meaningful connection with others that dating apps and bars or gay/lgbt related groups.

But what if people in hobby groups don’t talk and if they do, it never becomes a friendship? Am I doong something wrong? Maybe I pick the wrong groups? I don’t have the luck to connect with people at university. I don’t seem to have the usual personality profile for my degree. I like my degree per say, I like what I’m doing and find it meaningful, but I don’t fit in.

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What has worked for me (and it is very difficult with ASD, PTSD and more) is to keep making effort. Volunteer to help with anything that can be done. I also try to connect to disparate groups to meet more people. In the past I have volunteered to help feed homeless people, help people study for high school equivalency exam, fund raise for domestic violence victims and for LGBT center and pride. After a couple of years I usually make connections but it does take that much effort to get there.

I have lived where I currently am about two years and only in the past couple of months have I really started to make connections. I now meet with people multiple times a month and even have people coming over my home. Within this group I also met my current boyfriend and that is just icing on the cake, I was not even looking for that.

Mihael likes this.