1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happens in Therapy?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Beware Of You, May 31, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

So I went to the doctor who referred me to a Therapist, and I have my first appointment the next week; I am anxious about what will happen at my appointment

2. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on the type of therapist. I'd go into more detail if I didn't have to head out, but I'm sure there are others more than qualified to fill you in.

More than likely, though, you'll end up doing talk-therapy of some sort. That would seem to be (although I'm not sure of this at all) what the majority of people do - talk-therapy of some sort to look through your issues, see how to resolve them, if nothing else just talk about them to give clarity, etc.

So at the very least, it's generally someone to talk to about certain issues you wouldn't necessarily be willing or open to discuss with others.

Or it could be a very specific applied therapy to help with a more specific disorder and/or psychological issue of some kind. If it's that, I'm guessing you all ready know what it is. :thumbsup:

3. Tiny Catastrophe

Well if it's just a regular therapist they'll initially just try and get to know you and figure out what brings you there and you just share what you want to when you want to. I have a lot of experience with therapy lol. My current therapist I've been going to for about 8 years and I just talk about things that are bothering me and situations that have come up that I need advice on how to deal with and things like that. I find it rather helpful because I can discuss anything that's bothering me and get advice on things that I couldn't ask my family or friends about.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's nothing to be afraid of. Psychotherapy is talking about what's going on for you, and a good therapist will ask a few questions and just let you talk, and then work with you to look at things in different ways. Depending on the therapist's training, s/he may also give you specific techniques and tools you can use when you're feeling anxious, depressed, or upset to help you cope with the feelings.

With the right therapist, the experience can be the best and most powerful gift you'll ever give yourself because it is life-changing in a positive way.

And I have to say... kudos to your doctor for referring you to a therapist. Many doctors today just prescribe a drug, and that's rarely the right solution.

5. Ty3012

From my experience the therapist will get to know you and find out what brought you to there. I have such a hard time opening up so after my first couple visits she got out some therapy cards to get me thinking and have more to talk about. You have nothing to worry about!!! Good luck =)

6. Hexagon

You will be encouraged to talk and talk and talk and talk and talk. Eventually, you will realise you knew the answers in the first place. Or thats my experience anyway.

7. wandergirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Therapy has helped me a lot! and forget all that stereotype that it brainwashes u etc
    The therapist will be willing to listen to anything u wanna talk about, and together u r going to find good solutions for what's going on.
    In the first session it might be a bit uncomfortable to be just sitting there with nothing to say so u can just start telling him/her about yourself, your life, what u do, what u like/dislike doing and from that u r gonna find a good topic to start if u don't have any.

It's very important to trust your therapist cause they will be the one who's gonna know all the things u don't wanna tell anyone else.
    Most important, don't be too anxious for a fast solution. it takes some months to develep trust and to get to subjects that involve deeper thoughts.

Therapy is about getting to know yourself and being able to be more sensitive to your feelings.

I hope u enjoy it! :slight_smile:

8. Britishskittles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The first session will be getting to know you and going over the rules of confidentiality , so she/he will be quiet blunt in asking you about your life which may be wierd they generally don't hide behind being polite like we do in normally conversation , she will ask you what you want to work in well in therapy and see if you want to
    Carry on seeing them

9. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At a first appointment, the therapist should try to clarify why at this time you are coming to therapy. He/she will interview you for particular symptoms, most importantly depression, anxiety, suicide risk, acting out,drug use, etc. Also he will try to get information on the relationships within your family, will want to know about your friends, your support network. He should also get a sense of what your personal and long range goals will be. He will explain confidentiality and policies. Although it mostly a chance to get some background information on you and for you to identify a reason to be in therapy,he may give you some brief feedback. He should also explain, to a point, what his approach is and how it should so re for you.

10. Incognito10

A good therapist will want to hear your issues and help you look at them in a different perspective and change negative patterns into positive ones. A good therapist is non-judgmental and there to help you.