1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think of polyamory?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Harjus, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Harjus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Have you considered it or tried it? Are you polyamorous?

I have been interested about it as long as I have known what it is. I just broke up with my partner for 5 years so I am free to start again. I don't even know if I could do it. The idea just seems very beautiful to me. I rarely get interested in people but I just would like to have a chance to be with everybody I love and I would like my partner/partners to have the same freedom. It would be ok for them to have sex with others too as long as they respect me and can be honest about it.

Relationship between two people is always unique. I think you can't have the same with someone else. I don't think that people can be replaced if there is any depth in a relationship.

I don't really know if I could make it work. It sounds good in theory but I can't be sure of what it would really be like. I have heard that many people who try it just end up being hurt. Everyone involved must obviously have the right mindset for it. Like it's not about having sex with everybody and completely forgetting the "old" partner when you find a new one. It's not about group sex either. It's not about obsessively hoarding new people. That's how I think. Respect, equality and honesty are really important.

And I don't even know if I can find a one person. I am not in a hurry though. If I don't find the right ones I can be happy alone too.

2. Lyana

I admire polyamory.

I have never been in a situation where it came up between me and my partner. It's not something I would go looking for. But if it did come up, I would consider it and be open to trying it.

I don't know if I, personally, would like having several partners. I'm very much an introvert and even when I'm in a committed relationship, I need my alone time. My last two break-ups happened because the other person needed to see me more than I needed to see them. It seems to me that with two or more partners, I would have to cut down on my alone time to be fair to both of them.

However, if my partner wanted more than one romantic partner, I would probably be okay with that (in theory). For one thing, I may get more of my precious alone time. :grin: And for another, I don't believe it diminishes the love they have for me in any way. I don't think love is something you have a limited supply of. "For true love is inexhaustible; the more you give, the more you have." I believe it's possible (for some people, at least) to truly fall in love with more than one person at the same time.

Bottom line: I'd be okay with being a mono partner in a poly relationship. If I found myself attracted to someone new while in a consensual poly relationship, I would probably be okay with exploring that, though I'm not sure I could make it work.

3. Vashta Nerada

It's something I have a lot of respect for and I believe that people that can successfully exist in a poly relationship are really something to be admired, as said above love shouldn't be constricted to any number, gender etc.
    In saying that it's not something I'm sure I could participate in, as in a committed relationship with more than two members. Not too sure why, as I see nothing wrong with it. Guess it's just the way we're brought up.

4. Runner5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    While it isn't something that I think I could do, with the way things are progressing I see it as the next step with marriages. In the next hundred years I expect it to be completely legal in all fifty states.

5. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    I think it's fairly complicated. You really need a group of very unjealous people for that sort of thing to work properly, but I also think that it's an ideal system when it does.

6. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I very rarely feel jealous, in any type of relationship. Even if I'm in love... And I don't like putting "labels" in relationships as, to me, they're as different as people. I could definitely feel satisfied in an "open" or "polyamorous" relationship, though it all depends on the situation.

7. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Don't mind if people do it as long as it doesn't contradict with their religion or what they say to other like that (hate hypocrites)

8. Aro

Aro

I've known several people who were into polyamory. I have nothing against it at all. It's not for me because really, I can barely handle the needs of another person, let alone more than that. From what I know from someone who has been into that lifestyle for a very long time, it is very complicated and hard to do comfortably. It's especially hard for people who are new to it to settle in.

Some of the problems, he says, is that it's very easy for some people to get jealous. It's harder to spend time completely equally with more than one person. It takes a lot to balance it. Of course, everything takes work. My friend lives comfortably in that lifestyle and everyone is very happy. c: It definitely can be accomplished with lots of understanding. I think that's beautiful. I just like to caution people when trying it, because it is apparently very difficult to perfect.

If anyone here is poly, I salute you! And wish you luck and happiness, of course. :3

9. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I wouldn't do it, but I support it. Different relationships work out different for everyone so you can't say either monogamy or polyamory is 'right' or 'wrong'. Just depends on who's involved.