1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think of all of the different labels on romantic/sexual orientation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by loveislove01, Jul 27, 2015.

1. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't know if I've seen a thread on this, but yeah, question above.
    And by different labels, I mean ones that are less common and more specific, like:
    -Demiromantic Lesbian
    -Aromantic Pansexual
    That's just a few examples...

On the plus side, I think they are really helpful because it narrows down who you're into and its more specific and I feel you could define yourself better.

On the negative side, it gets rather complicated to tell someone who is non LGBT that you are a "demiromantic homosexual" because they'd have zero idea on what you mean.

Thoughts?

2. Simple Thoughts

I think it's great from anyone in the community who understands them, but it's highly unfair to expect any random person to understand any of these terms and what they mean. It gets pretty complicated and I barely understand a lot of them.

3. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This! Couldn't have said it better myself.

4. Cider

I think it's awesome that people use labels to describe themselves as accurately as possible. I encourage it, because it makes you feel validated.

But for some words, I think that people should understand that most people have no knowledge besides LGBTQ, and straight of course...

So basically what I'm saying is that we should try to educate people on the different sexualities, but we should also understand that most of the time, the average person will not know what "androsexual" is for example, and that we should be understanding when people don't know.

5. Simple Thoughts

Yeah just the other day I had to explain to a friend that there was a term for what he was describing to me and it blew his dang mind X3

He's apparently bisexual but heteromantic =P

6. The Wallflower

I dunno.

I agree. It's kinda confusing. I'm seeing all these terms like 'genderqueer' and stuff, and I'm like: "Well ok then."

I mean, I legitimately don't understand it all, and if I wasn't a procrastinator, I would look up all these terms... but I am, so I won't. :lol:

...But you do what you want, ya know? I mean, your sexual orientation is important, so... yeah.

What is wrong with me lately.

#6 The Wallflower, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  7. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's good I think, to be able to precisely narrow down what you mean. But like others have mentioned, only to people who are capable of understanding such labels.

Like I would never tell my parents, "Oh, I'm a panromantic grey-asexual with a preference for trans-women." They would look at me as if I'd sprouted horns. Because in their (and many others) minds, there only exists straight, gay, and maybe bisexual.

While I wish we didn't need labels, they can be very valuable and informative if used correctly and with the right people.

8. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Somewhat unnecessary but I won't judge the usage of them by others. I am demisexual by technical standards- to the point I do not relate to any other lesbians on this site- but I don't find any use in labeling myself that way personally. "Super picky lesbian with high standards" works for me.

9. Simple Thoughts

Not a lady so can't really be a lesbian obviously, but totally demisexual as well *highfives*

10. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think microlabeling is great for understanding how you relate yourself to sexuality, however past that, I don't think it's especially practical (especially the labels which go past three words).

To me, it's similar to asking someone what their favourite colour is, and getting "dark cyan under fluorescent lighting" as a response. Sure, it's accurate, and yeah, i guess that colour exists, but just blue would have sufficed. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

*Im not trying to invalidate anyone's orientation.

#10 Batman, Jul 27, 2015
  11. Posthuman666

Labels make things easier for other people to know what you are, but its important not to confine and limit yourself to that label.

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is one of the best descriptions of the whole situation I've seen.

My issue with 99.9999999% of the unrecognized identities is that they fit into already-existing categories and the detail ends up being confusing, and in some cases downright inaccurate.

Part of the issue with unrecognized identities is there's no basis for knowing what, exactly, they mean. I've seen a bazillion different definitions for some of them. And when you question or try to make the case that they fit into existing categories, then the definition suddenly changes. So working with labels that are a moving target, and aren't understood outside a tiny group of people isn't very useful if we're trying to have a common lexicon that everyone understands.

If you've seen The Devil Wears Prada, Miranda Priestly's marvelous monologue on "Cerulean" actually describes this situation well. "Cerulean" is a label that works within the tiny, insular group of fashion professionals, but to most everyone else, "Blue" works just as well.

And there are other labels that are, most of the time, a mislabel of what is actually a psychological issue. Sexual orientation and romantic connection are a complex and nuanced combination of psychological, emotional, and biochemical factors. Much of that isn't hardwired. I'm not asexual because I'm sick and have no sex drive that day... I'm sick. Likewise, if I'm depressed, I'm likely to have very low sex drive because depression lowers sex drive. So I'm probably not gray-asexual; it's far more likely I've got some family-of-origin, stress, depression, or other issue that's affecting my sex drive. Likewise, there are plenty of people who have extremely high sex drives; we don't describe them as "hypersexuals." At least... not yet. Maybe I need to start a posting on Tumblr to suggest that, and it will be the next big unrecognized label :slight_smile:

My point is... if labels are to have any value, they should be a common language. When only a tiny group know what they mean, unless that tiny group wants to be hipsters ("Oh, I have an unusual sexual orientation... you've probably never heard of it...") then there really isn't much value in using non-mainstream labels if we want to actually be able to communicate with others. If it's only for our own use, that ends up being a little bit narcissistic.

13. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. You guys have solid points worth considering.

And that's why my orientation reads *shrug* because I'm just... tired of fooling with it. :lol:

14. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As someone who studies language, I should probably take the time to get to know what many of these highly-specialized idiosyncratic labels mean. Yet I don't seem to be interested...

If coming up with an esoteric label helps you feel comfortable with your sexuality, then go for it. But I will echo the others and say that it's unrealistic to expect other people, especially the general non-LGBT public, to understand them or put effort into understanding them.

15. thepandaboss

I get the point. I just think there's too many terms for the average person to understand (I barely understand them and I've memorized every fucking Pokemon- what does that make me?) The other problem is that many of the more exotic labels like alloromantic, omnisexual, or so on can mean different things for different people. We also have too many terms that mean almost the exact same thing (like pansexual versus bisexual) which compounds the confusion even more.

16. AlamoCity

While I respect the right to self-identification, I feel most humans fall into one of three categories: 1)they like penises (and the bodies of penis holders), 2)they like vagina and breasts (and the bodies of vagina and breast holders) 3) both 1 and 2.

I sometimes feel people really suffer from Special Snowflake Syndrome when they deviate from the most "common" labels or go out of their way to label themselves. Of course, I am not a subject-matter expert in this.

Just don't fuckin' get mad if someone doesn't know what "demisexual" or some other arcane word means.

#16 AlamoCity, Jul 27, 2015
  17. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

'Demisexual' seems to me like more of a personal preference rather than a hardwired part of your orientation. Or even something like Kaiser's 'Sapio-bisexual' meaning "attracted to intelligence."

It's really great if you figured yourself out that specifically but yeah I think the point of a label is to make it easier to explain what you are, not more complicated lol

18. Matz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't have strong feelings on them either way. I think some of them are redundant or vague, but I also have no idea how to sort out the mess that is figuring out people's attractions and some of the paradoxes.

Pretty much, people should do what they want with their own labels for better or for worse.

19. Randomcloud

It's difficult for me to understand.. but if people feel it solidifies their identities or makes them feel more comfortable with themselves, I'm all for it. I mean, I also don't think it's fair to expect everyone to understand what the label means but it's not like you approach people with "hey, I'm so-and-so and I'm a demi-romantic lesbian" so I guess that doesn't matter too much. I know that if someone informs me that they identify as something like this, I would try to understand for their sake.

20. Lyana

I don't care how people label themselves, but I do think it complicates things somehow. Not for me -- I understand what the labels mean -- but even for people trying to figure themselves out. You see a lot of posts on EC asking "Am I this or that complicated label?" when it seems like the first question you should ask is "Am I attracted to this gender, or that gender, or these genders?"
    I feel it would be simpler to reduce the number of labels and figure out the basics of your orientation, and then learn to understand yourself better.

As for using them with non-LGBT folks... I like the word pansexual very much, but I hardly use it in non-English-speaking, non-LGBT places. Bisexual is accurate and much easier to put out there. And I'm only pansexual, not X-romantic Y-sexual.