1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think is more important in understanding you sexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MyLittleWorld, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's astounding exactly how much control our mind actually does have over us. Milton Erickson, MD once cut arterial bleeding to a trickle on his son (after a farming accident) using hypnosis. There are cases on record of people with DID (multiple personalities) where one personality had insulin-dependent diabetes and another personality did not. And there's a growing and very credible collection of research indicating that certain diseases (Crohn's, arthritis, ALS, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue) are dramatically impacted, if not outright caused, by emotional/psychological factors.

We know that orgasm and ejaculation are directly affected by emotional and psychological state, and so it's not much of a jump from there to infer that attraction is similarly affected.

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Avoid placing external (cultural, religious, or social) limitations on what your sexuality should be. Unfortunately, those limitations are already present before most people reach puberty, so they have to unlearn those restrictions that tell them how they should behave. I think the first step is to just be exposed to the idea of alternative sexualities (relative to heterosexuality), and the next step is to see if something fits with the subconscious desires that may be repressed or just completely overlooked.

3. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I think both are important. They can be separate though. You can fall in love with someone, want to be their life partner, and yet lack sexual attraction (Asexuals especially). On the flip side, you can have an emotional bond with a friend, feel sexual attraction to them, but still lack romantic attraction.

I would say sexual attraction should come first in your sexuality, though I'm not a fan of "If you're not sexually attracted, you're just friends" (Since I think romantic attraction is also important). If that were the case though, there would be no difference between a boyfriend/girlfriend and a friend with benefits. Both have a sexual relationship, and both can share an emotional bond....It's just that the latter feels different.

4. Ebro1122

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have never felt romantic for someone I'm not sexually attracted to. So sexual attraction first.