1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you make of this?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Simple Thoughts, Jan 7, 2014.

1. chivalrous

i guess it comes back to that whole positive reinforcement vs negative reinforcement thing. if a child is discouraged by there parents for a semi-decent grade in school they will try to improve it next time, on the flip side if a kid gets praised excessively it loses its effect and eventually they may become immune/ dont care about praise and it wont be that beneficial for the child in the future

2. Foxface

And yet at the same time there is a culture built to prevent reporting rape. Oh sure the commander, Admiral, General will publically support rape prevention but it's been shown to happen and reported at a lesser extent. The problem is military soceity breeds a culture of get over, be a man...but that's a whole other story

My biggest problem with the military, and now I will tie it into the OP's premise and article is this

The newcomers, this new generation is without a doubt getting dangerously conceited. But now here is where I need to back up a bit and say I actually do not blame the kids themselves 100%. We have bred a whole society of kids and young military men and women to never expect consequences. When these kids enter the military the first words out of their mouths are "What is the military going to do for me"

Bull...crap...you promised to serve with excellence and you promised to put the military first.

Now I am not saying it has to be so hardcore in the civillian world. In fact I don't belive a military style system of organization would even function in this civillian population. It takes a certain person and a certain type to enter and succeed in the armed forces. I was questionably that type but I questioned a lot and got into a lot of trouble over it.

and THAT is the problem with both military and civillian society.

On one hand, you try to question the system and you become the black sheep. I cannot begin to count how often I have seen it in the military in all branches.

On the other hand, the kids of this new society are coddled and told that everything they do is magical and special and never wrong. Praise done right is divine and can boost spirits of kids. But when we take away consequences we present our own problems. My favorite story is the teacher who failed a teenager for cheating on an exam. The parents threatened to sue the board and the board took action and fired the teacher.

Are we serious!?

Now is the time to present the young generation, military and otherwise with some reality that not everything is spoon fed

my thoughts

I would love to start a military culture thread and I have a ton to say about that

Foxface