1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do pronouns mean to you?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Gentlady, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm just deaf when I hear someone missgendering me, or calling me by some other name. Takes a couple of times with pronouns, three or more with the fake name.

It's getting almost kafkaesk. Well, perhaps it reached that point years ago. I never felt adressed when someone used the wrong pronouns. It just never felt right.

Male pronouns belong to me.

2. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I'm not bothered with pronouns.
    Unless someone refers to me, in a clearly derogatory tone, as it, I really don't care.
    Call me he or she, both are fine.
    Xe, Xi etc, might get you and odd look, but that's just because I rarely hear those terms.

---------- Post added 15th Jul 2015 at 10:00 PM ----------

As far as I'm concerned people get to choose their own pronouns.
    If you identify as they, you're they to me. You are the only one capable of indentifying your gender or lack thereof and associated pro-nouns.

3. castheking

People using correct pronouns is really important to me, because I cringe a little inside whenever someone calls me "she". Although, since I don't plan on transitioning at all, and I tend to dress in a more "feminine" way a lot, I don't really get too upset with people when they get it wrong. I politely correct friends that I'm out to, and just stick it out with family.

And as for cis people going by different pronouns, I think that's just fine. As long as they're genuine, and not just trying to be "unique" or whatever, pfft. I think pronouns are separate from gender identity, for some people. Like, people outside the gender binary may use pronouns that are traditionally binary, because that's just what they're comfortable with. It all depends on what you're comfortable with.

4. AngerAndAgony

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Online except Facebook they mean everything to me. In real life I'm waiting till I get to college to start correcting because I need a home and my dad threatened to disown me.

5. C P

C P

I don't care too much if you call me he/she so those are fine, but I've taken more and more of a liking to they/them.

Outside of pronouns is where it gets kinda ugly though. I really don't like to be referred to directly as fe/male.

6. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

I really don't mind if someone uses feminine or masculine pronouns when referring to me though I do prefer the gender neutral (they/them) more.

However, I get really irritated when someone starts pushing me into set roles/expectations and defining me that way. Just because I am called sister does not mean that I am female. Just because I have a more masculine appearance does not mean I am a male so don't label me as such things.
    And when people ask/talk about genitals as if they define gender- it's like f$&k you. Are you my doctor? No. Then you have no business whatsoever in knowing about what set of gonads I have and they most certainly DO NOT define me as a person at all.

7. KaelTail

Pronouns never really were a big deal to me, but then again I grew up thinking that there really wasn't a difference between boys and girls. So he/her never meant much to me. Now that I'm early in transition, I love getting "he" from people who know, or from people who read me as male (only happened once so far.. boo), but I don't pass well enough to not get "her" from most of the time. I even get it accidentally from people who do know (who apologize when they catch it).

I even get my pronouns wrong sometimes, especially when I'm talking about how someone else would refer to me, ex: talking to my boyfriend "If mom saw me, she'd say I was the coolest girlfriend ever." I think that comes from gender pronouns not really meaning much to me to begin with, and from a lifetime of being labeled "she". Enforcing he/him is more part of my transition to help *me* remember to think that way. Doesn't mean I feel like any less of a guy, the words just lack meaning to me.

8. Natasha Elyssa

I'd rather be called by the right pronouns, but being called "he" doesn't really hurt me that much anymore. :slight_smile: <3

9. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A lot.

My pronouns are He/Him/His, get. it. right. I don't have much problem anymore since T makes me sound unmistakably male now. Before though, it would crush me if a stranger used female pronouns, because I felt like I didn't try hard enough. It was mostly the people I knew, though, who made mistakes. Now, it's pretty much ok.

I guess if you use They, I wouldn't care, but I'm not an English speaker, so there's no equivalent in my language.

10. Anastaisa_Lynn_14

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pronouns to me mean that I can become more of a woman without any permanent changes or treatments.