1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I wear?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by somegirl, Oct 8, 2014.

1. somegirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So next week I'm supposed to be going out with my friends for a birthday thing. And they said we need to like dress up, sort of smart casual ish. And all the girls are like wearing dresses and stuff but like I'm a complete tomboy. (I don't know where I fit with the whole gender thing and whether I'm transgender or whatnot, so I'm just going with tomboy for now.)

So as the title says, what do I wear? I can not wear a dress because I would feel so so uncomfortable and I just can't. But any suggestions on what I can wear? I have a like checked shirt, is that ok to wear? And some dark grey chinos? Is that smart enough? I'm really stuck for ideas, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Do you have a nice blouse, maybe satin, or a nice plain button down shirt ?

Do you have some trousers made of cloth, not jeans material ?
    Could you ask a relative, maybe your mother ?

Something you like and feel comfortable with ?

3. Keane

Omg this kind of situation always happens to me!
    I usually go with something real simple, like a plane shirt, jeans and Vans aha..
    I think that dark grey chinos and that checked shirt will surely look great!

4. Really

For some reason as I started reading this I pictured something like the gangsters in the musical Guys & Dolls. Pinstripe pants, spats, suspenders and some button down shirt. I think any dress pants and top (funky belt or jewelry?) is fine. I've never worn a dress to anything and have never gotten any comments.

5. rahul2630

rahul2630 Guest

I love chinos but I like chino in red brownish color ... try it.

6. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm a tomboy too and I often have this problem. I feel awfully uncomfortable in dresses. What I usually do is wear one of those button-down checked shirts half-unbuttoned with a solid coloured shirt underneath (usually black), with a new-looking pair of jeans (they aren't actually new but I make sure not to wear them all the time, so they can pass off as semi-formal) I know this is a super-specific description but I do this every single time there are situations like this :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It's your friends anyway. I doubt they'll really say anything much. Maybe they'll tease you a little but I don't think there'll be any real problems.

7. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    These suggestions are all very good. Black can cover a lot of faux pass. I'd suggest cloth pants (not denim), chinos are good, preferably black, white blouse if you have blond hair, black otherwise.

#7 Monraffe, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014