1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I do when I need help with everything about my life?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Aldebaran, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Guest

Don't worry, it really wasn't much of an overload.
    Well, I really don't know of any activities that I could join outside of school, I like gymnastics and martial arts, but most of the places I know of are too expensive (for me) to join, and given that I live in the American equivalent of a suburb (in regards of distance from the main parts of the city) it is nearly impossible to get to the places I know I could join, because they are located to the other side of the city.
    There is one place that comes to mind, and it's a sports federation across the street from where my school is, but they only take under ages; as to meeting any of my neighbors and becoming their friend, I guess I could try that, but I've never seen any person my age around here, and the few times I've, it's either in a car, dirt bike, or going to/coming from a sports/exercise session. And as I mentioned earlier, I have trouble opening up, it's easier for me if I have a thing or two in common with a person, and I can be quite socially awkward when it comes to meeting new people.

---------- Post added 6th Nov 2013 at 07:47 PM ----------

You know, looking back it was easier for me as a kid to make friends, it just sort of happened, but I've moved 4 times already and it just seems to get harder instead of easier.

2. GayNerd

Hi again. :smilewave

What about cousins?

Also, you can start conversations with kids you don't know in school. Start with a compliment like 'I like your hair.', 'Your shoes are cool.', or something like that. The continue with 'By the way, my name's *Insert name here*'. They should do the same. Continue the conversation with 'What are some of your hobbies?'. The rest should flow smoothly from there.
    I hope this helps. (*hug*)

3. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Guest

Well, I live with my cousin, and given that I don't like thrashing others (specially behind their backs), all I'm going to say is that he is the nicest jerk I've met so far (by the way, I live in a small house with seven other people). I guess I could try making more of an effort getting to know better those classmates who I kind of get along with, talking to students outside of my class wouldn't be the best of ideas, as I'm already in my last year and if my classmates are immature, don't even try to picture the lower grades. Back to those few classmates I mentioned, I said I sort of get along with them because we might engage in small talk from time to time, and have actually gone out together a couple of times, although not much conversation happened there. We seem to have things in common, but I have no idea how to bring up subjects they might want to talk about, I'm quite passive in those things unless I have gotten to know the person better...I'm terrible at making friends.

4. GayNerd

Since you have some things in common with those kids, just ask them about certain things they like in it, like, if you like reading, favorite books, or, if you like video games, what kinds of series of games they like.
    I hope this helps. (*hug*)

5. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Guest

I'll guess I can try that; I love video games, so I might as well try to get them talking about games they like. It does help, let's just see if my awkwardness doesn't get the best of me.

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a great idea! As GayNerd said, it's finding those things in common with other people that makes connections possible. First and foremost, have fun!

7. GayNerd

Aldebaran, you should just relax. Everything will be okay. :slight_smile: You will be fine.
    Good luck.

8. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Guest

Thanks, to everyone here, thank you so much, feeling my problems were heard and having the support of others is something I can not stop appreciating. :slight_smile:

9. GayNerd

You're very welcome. (*hug*)

We're always here.

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is not uncommon, it happens with adults who move large distances for their work every couple of years or so, basically, it's a reluctance to invest in a relationship with anyone when you know you may have to leave again. After several of these types of moves, these couples often fall into themselves and lose the support of a network of friends.

11. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Guest

Well of course, no one likes to make friends, only to leave them behind, then have to make new friends and then leave those behind as well. I'm in between the reluctance of making new friends and the desire to have new bonds.

12. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Guest

Okay, I would like to make a question here, how do I show my classmates (those who I mentioned before) that I'm interested in being included in their conversations? As I mentioned before I'm quite socially awkward, and therefore I'm not the kind of person to just go sit next to them, and start chatting up, specially for two reasons: One, if done too many times, I could easily start being perceived as a nuisance (or a nosy person), and two I don't know how to start a conversation with someone I really don't know that well ("tragically" ironical, huh?).
    Guys, be blunt, what are your honest opinions in all of this? I'm not talking only about the most recent posts.

13. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Spend a little time observing them first, notice things that you might be able to talk about, then ask a question about it...usually how things start. The key thing is to show interest in who they are, get their name, then use it often...it's almost like magic.

14. GayNerd

If they are talking about an interest of theirs that you also like, wait until there is a point where they are quiet. Then start by saying 'Hi, I couldn't help but overhearing that you like (insert name of hobby/interest here). I'm (enter your name here). Are you getting the new (enter hobby/interest here) they're making?', or just something that's coming out from that part. Like, a new video game. Or, new book. Or-Well, you get it.
    If this worked out good, you'll be talking to them.

I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

15. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Guest

Yeah, that seems like a nice idea.

---------- Post added 7th Nov 2013 at 11:26 PM ----------

I do have their names(and they, mine), I'll try to find something they like to talk about as well.

16. GayNerd

Sounds good. Let us know how it goes, okay? Thanks. :slight_smile:

17. thedudeabides

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You are headed in the right direction. It sounds like your a bright person and are very easy to talk to. You'll make friends, just look at everyone as equals (because really we are) we all go through tuff times we all doubt ourselves from time to time even the people on top. People will be people that's one I've learned. Some of my closest friends have let me down, in the end though I still love them. Wouldn't trade them for the world, I like them, big moths and all and in the end I know they would at least try to go to bat for me if they could. As far as meeting new people it can be stressful but I just try to say screw it and go for it either they'll like me or not, this is not easy but if you look at everyone as equals it get's easier.

18. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Guest

That is something I will keep in my mind, thank you.

19. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Guest

Hey guys, small-ish update on something I wanted to share with you, that I forgot to do yesterday. So basically I got in a conversation with my classmates (it was actually the group that misbehaves in class) during recess, and they were teasing me (jokingly, I never take them seriously) about if I ever liked girls, and I told them the truth that I've had, exactly, a couple of minor crushes over my life (and also boys, but I did not tell them that). Then they changed the subject (as I expected) to start talking about homosexuals, and at first they start joking about what would I do if I started liking boys,(by this point a couple of the classmates I do hang out with were sitting close to me and just listened) and basically I had to dodge the bullet on that one (see out status), but then I asked them to hear me out, which they did, and told them about what I believed about sexuality, how I believe there it is no universal law for everyone, how I believe it varies from person to person and even within a person, I even took the chance and said directly that there was nothing wrong with homosexuality, what surprised me (although I didn't show it) was they said: "Yeah, there's nothing wrong with being gay." The thing is at this point I didn't even know if they were joking or not, they had certainly stopped laughing as much as they had at the beginning of the conversation, but they were still making jokes among themselves. Recess ended and the conversation a couple minutes later. It felt nice to express my opinions, and I actually avoided doubting myself while I was talking (although I did stammer a bit), and I'm also glad that part of my opinions is out in the open. Yet, I still wonder, did they take anything of what I said about sexuality seriously?
    Ok it was long, but I felt it was a thing to share, tell what you thing about this.

20. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think what you did is really significant, good for you and for standing up for what you think and believe!

Nothing builds confidence like that, and believe me, you have just gained a measure of respect on their part...integrity does that!

Good for you! Keep doing it, it gets easier!