1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your favourite and least favourite names?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LaEsmeralda, Mar 20, 2015.

1. LaEsmeralda

It was reported today that the actor Ryan Reynolds named his baby daughter James. I actually think this is quite a nice name for either gender and don't know why it's getting so much flack. Lots of names are becoming unisex when they previously weren't (Jordan, Jamie - this is almost the exact same as James and no one minds if a girl is called it! - Riley etc.) and the name James isn't ugly or tacky at all. I'd rather girls got boys names and vice versa than giving a child a silly name the parent made up themselves or a name that has been misspelled in a ridiculous way.

For example, on a series of Project Runway I watched years ago, there was a woman called Qrystal. QRYSTAL. What was wrong with Crystal? I have a perfectly ordinary female name and people misspell it all the time, I can't imagine what it must've been like for that woman growing up :confused:

My favourite names of all time are very classic. I like Eleanor, Joanna and Katherine for girls. For boys, I like Peter and William. I have a soft spot for Gareth as well.

#1 LaEsmeralda, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That would be a name I like, Qrystal. :icon_bigg (But I like the q so.. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )

As for names, I like unoriginal ones the most, but there are so many possibilities that I can't choose. Names I don't like much.. I have none, unless you include nonsense names like Superman for a kid. :lol:

3. LaEsmeralda

But it's so... words can't even describe! :tears: I'm pretty sure all 'q' words in English have to be followed by a 'u' so if we were being technical about it, her name should really be Qurystal! :eek:

4. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's not true. :lol: Qatar, Iraq.. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Qat (alternative form of khat (type of drugs)).

But I just love how it looks like.. Qrystal. I'm odd. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. LaEsmeralda

Those are borrowed words from other languages but that's an interesting take on it. If we pretended it was the Arabic form of Crystal it wouldn't be so bad :icon_wink

6. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Those are borrowed indeed, that's true. =) But still, they do exist. :icon_bigg

By the way, I think Esmeralda is a nice name (also because it's the Galician/Portuguese/Spanish (and perhaps others) word for emerald). :icon_bigg

7. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Well i obviously like the name Asa lol

Also shion rain and mika

I like unique names (for example after stars(in the sky))

Due to a certain person i came to like the name billy =P

8. LaEsmeralda

Esmeralda is a lovely name - especially because it is also the name of my favourite character from Victor Hugo's novel The Hunchback of Notre-Dame. There was actually a girl at my school called Emerald and she was named that after the 'Emerald Isle' which is a poetic term for Ireland :slight_smile:

9. fragileflame

There aren't many names I don't like, but I usually lean more towards odd names. (my poor children hahaha) Some of my favorites are: Lennox, Aubree, Mason, Ember, Fallon.
    I do like "vintage" names I guess you could say, such as: Charlotte, Amelia, Eleanor...I guess the names I like aren't that weird, But the obsession I have with names is a little weird. But I have no problem with Ryan naming his baby girl James, I'm all for taking out gender as way to determine a name for a child.

10. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I like gender neutral names too, like Rory or Avery. I also really like French names (probably because I'm part French and I go to France a lot)--names like Thibault (my middle name), Marius, and Clémence.

I also think last names turned into first names are pretty cool, like, oh I don't know, maybe...Tennyson :wink: Or Madison or Anderson.

I guess my least favourite names are badly spelled names like "Mykal" or backwards names like "Nevaeh". And those generic female names with Lynn that all sound the same like "Maylee Lynn" or "Kaylee Lynn" or "Baylee Lynn" and so on and so forth. Don't like those at all.

11. LaEsmeralda

Is Rory gender neutral in the USA? Here it's an exclusively male name.

Yes :eek: Names ending in 'Mae' and 'Rose' are all over the place now. Ava-Rosa, Eva-Rose, Lily-Mae, Maisie-Mae... They aren't ugly names at all but very, very trendy.

12. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a big fan of names that are really out there and sound like they have a lot of dignity.
    For example: Reginald. Or Lawrence. Or Giovanni. Leonardo, all those fun-sounding ones.

13. LaEsmeralda

The problem with this is that they're more than likely to get shortened down to their far less dignified counterparts - Reggie, Larry, Lenny etc.

Giovanni is fabulous though

14. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    It is now, yeah, I think mainly because of the TV show "Gilmore Girls". Just like how Madison became a thing because of the 80s movie "Splash".

15. Magnemma

Magnemma Guest

I like unique names and if i follow through with my far future plans of adopting five kids, their names will be: Monty, Jamie, Shannon, Cosima, and Pandora.

16. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Michael, Naomi and Diana are my favorite, I don't think I have least favorite.

17. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't know that, thanks for the information! :icon_bigg Actually I think naming children after gems is quite cool. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Emerald is a nice name too. :icon_bigg And Emerals Isle is a very adorable name for Ireland, and it definitely fits as well in my opinion! :icon_bigg

18. Cubiculum

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Names I like:
    Kristina
    Angel
    Bianca
    Isabella
    Tommy

There aren't really any names I don't like.

19. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Favourite names: Avery, Dorian, James, Casey, Teague, Jaythein, Eilian, Logan, Blythe, Jayne, Chihiro

I don't know if there are any names I truly don't like the sound of.

20. TheStormInside

I've got a cousin named Leonardo, he gets called Leo for short, which I rather like. Regal and lion like.