1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are some misconceptions people have about you?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Devil Dave, Oct 7, 2015.

1. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, people always assume I'm taking the honors classes. I used to, but not anymore because it was killing my grades. I'm getting straight A's now that I'm in the regular classes.

2. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, I wish I had your grades. Mine are terrible. :tears: :bang:

3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*) I doubt mine will stay this high for long. And my mom gets angry at me if I don't get straight A's, so I'm pretty nervous as one of my A's is really low.

I hope you can improve your grades! (*hug*)(*hug*)

#43 YuriBunny, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  4. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That I’m a shy and negative person. And although in most of my formative years I probably was, it was solely based on my insecurities, the fact that I despised everyone who made fun of me, hated myself and my life. But again, those days were so long ago. I'm not that person anymore, so I don't understand why some still believe that.

Also that I’m a People-Pleaser, I’m not. I don’t feel like I owe anyone in this world, expect maybe a few. I’m just not an :***: and if I care about you I want to help and if I don't, I don't.

One last one is that people (mainly family) assume I'm lazy. I have no comment to that expect, life is not a competition. I do my thing, you do yours.

Oh and I have to add the obvious - assuming I'm straight. I don't even believe myself at my past failed attempts at trying to "act" straight.

5. Charon

Charon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Many people say that I'm very "innocent looking."

6. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think there really are many. I'm pretty open about pretty much everything. I'm sort of a "what you see is what you get" kind of guy.

7. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm such an introverted extroverted kind selfish silly serious type of person! I've heard so many contradicting things about myself, I don't even... lol

It's a misconception that I'm too mean.

It's a misconception that I'm too nice.

It's all a matter of perspective. I try to balance it. I think I'm one of the last people that should have a lot of emotional empathy!!1!

My "fave" misconception was the medical professional that believed I was a narcissist. He had this thing about being touched, so yeah =P

I'm reminded of this chainletter-ish thing I've seen chicks post:

8. deadbluebells

People seem to think I am hard-working and conscientious, and by extension, get good grades. I can only attribute this to my middle-class white girl appearance, which I suppose is something akin to a much less pretty version of Hermione Granger, and the fact that I like to read. While I do care about school, I can't say I work hard at all - I rarely do my homework and almost never revise. But even some of my teachers still seem to have this impression of me and when I do badly they assume it be a 'one-off'. I counteract this by making constant jokes about my lack of work ethic and laziness, so my friends have this idea that I do nothing at all and need to get myself together. In reality it's more that my mental illness stops me from performing as well as I could and I get very overwhelmed. Also I procrastinate a lot.

I've also been told that I 'seem like someone who likes hummus', which couldn't be less true.

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some people think I'm straight.

10. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People assume that I'm really offended by swearing because I barely swear. It's so weird! People apologise to me constantly if they swear in front of me (and specifically me!), practically fall out of their seats if I swear in front of them... Nobody seems to believe I'm just kinda inhibited rather than having a fundamental issue with swearing in general. I don't care if they do it, it's just me who sucks at producing swears!

Also, people think I can paint because I can draw. I can't paint to save my life (at least not with anything other than watercolour, and even then I'm so-so). The number of times I've had to explain that I'm not good at every medium because I'm good at a few is...quite a lot of times, haha.

11. littleraven

People assume I'm offended by it too.

I'm 5ft tall so people tend to think I'm younger than I really am.

People assume I'm a genius because I get straight A's.

People are surprised when I have knowledge about rock/classic rock. (I'm female and a POC...)

12. Theo Weiss

Many people think that I look older than I actually am.

I am almost certain everyone thinks that I am straight.

People think that I am a nerd because I enjoy learning new things.

13. Noodle72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People think I like math because I took two years of math in one year so now I'm a year ahead. I don't like math, I'm just good at it.

Also, I'm not sure about this one but since I'm emo and wear all black and stuff, people might think I'm depressed, suicidal etc. but I'm not. Well I might be I'm actually not sure (but don't worry I'm gonna get help and hopefully it'll start to get better soon) but that's besides the point because that's not what makes me emo, it's the taste in music and the clothing style, so I find it annoying that that's an emo stereotype that most people think is what it means to be emo.

#53 Noodle72, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  14. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When people hear I'm from southern California they always assume I hate living in Kentucky. Not true. I miss being close to my family, but the traffic and cost of living make me never want to move back.

15. pinkbee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually have a strange one, in which people seem to assume I'm magically super-smart and overestimate me! I have no idea how it even came about!

In reality, I struggle with basic mathematics and have to use a piece of paper to wrap my head around anything especially difficult! :smilewave
    I often get the "Oh, tell pinkbee about it, she'll know what's going on," or in high school I used to get random students come to ask me for help on essays and problems! The issue is, I did extremely poorly in high school and there's really no way I can help them or solve anything :eusa_doh: But everyone seemed to think I got straight A's!

I thought it's a kind of funny and unusual situation to be in ☆ I have to constantly tell people, "I'm sorry, I can't help you with this," and "I have no idea what I am doing!"

16. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    People think I'm a serious, stern person. The way I talk is very solid and exact, and my demeanor is a little dominant sometimes. I'm not sure how that came to be, because I'm actually a really goofy, laidback person on the inside.

I think the term they use for my jokes is "dry humor"?

But I guess that's fine. My demeanor gives me a lot of respect, so I'm happy for it. I just wish that people would realize that I can deal with light stuff, too. I don't have to be the one you go to to deal with serious topics (not that I don't enjoy serious topics, but it takes a toll on you...).

17. pinkbee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it may be strange to say, but people may assume this because you wear glasses :slight_smile: Glasses are usually associated with studious personalities, so people may think you are more serious when you actually aren't ♫ But this is very good if you're meeting someone important or need to be taken seriously :grin: I have a brunette friend always wears her hair in two low braids and people expect her to be very shy because of this. I think appearance plays a big part in first impressions.

18. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Haha, that could very well be it. Funny you used the word studious, because some of my friends had said that I seemed studious when they first met me.

As for your misconception, I relate to it so much. People greatly overestimate my intelligence and think I'm smarter than I actually am. One of my friends said that she's 90% sure I calculate all my tests so that I get 88% so I don't appear too smart (she said this because I had gotten 88% five times in a row for my exams).

Nope! I'm a solid B+ intelligence. :lol:

19. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For some reason K seems to think I'll be able to stick it out the whole year... :S

20. PennyMonkey96

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That I'm an mean person, I might be quiet and not talk to anyone but I'm not mean I'm kinda sad inside.