1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What age?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nick14, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Tetra

I'm 19, have kind of accepted if over the last year and a half, and have come out to a friend. I've also given pretty heavy hints to another friend. I'd assume most people (including my other friends) have just guessed, but I'd like to make it "official".

So hopefully by 20, I'll have it all over and done with, including telling my parents and siblings.

2. Lyr110

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think 17 was a good age for me. I've only recently came out but I think age isn't the concern, rather you should come out when you know in yourself that you are bi/gay/asexual or whatever you may be, and when you know and you accept it and want to embrace that side of you, then you should come out. It just happened for me that 17 was the age that I fully accepted myself.

3. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To OP: Welcome to EC.

To question: Fourteen.

4. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

I came out 11 days after my birthday to my bestie christina and I came out to my family twenty-eight days after my birthday on the 29th of June this year and by the way I'm 15 :grin:
    After coming out you feel a huge weight being lifted off of your shoulders, and you fee like you can breathe again. So take your time be patient but don't stay in there for forever.take your time but don't try to change yourself no matter what, it's most important that you not lie to yourself.

Sincerely,

5. kelly96

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi i'm 18 and i first came out to my 2 best friends shortly before I turned 18 and then came out to 1 more close friend after i turned 18. Still not out to any family, just my 3 close friends. Good luck in coming out whenever you decide your ready. Once I first came out to my best friend I found it easier then to come out to my other two close friends.

6. esc1010

My best friend came out to me when he was 13, he has only told me and I have kept it private.
    Just depends on when you're ready. Once again be proud for it. :slight_smile:

7. ChameleonSoul

I'm also 16 and I came out to one of my friends back in February and two others in May. I haven't told anyone in my family and I don't plan on doing it anytime soon. I had thought of possibly coming out to another person before I turn 17 next month, but that doesn't seem too likely. In your situation though, I would recommend that you only tell anyone when you are ready, and don't be pressured into coming out by anyone. I've been pressured into doing it and have regretted it ever since.

8. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out fully at 21/22--but that was 20 years ago. And even then I immediately wished I hadn't waited so long...

9. Biboy1995

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out at 18 that's only because I was in a relatiship with a guy if that didn't happen i would still be in the closet

10. JessM98

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Remember to only come out when your ready. I came out to close friends at age 15 and I hope to come out to parents by the summer of 2015. My Dad is going to be the hardest to come out to so it might be longer for him. Good Luck!!!

11. PrettyConfused

Well I came out at 18! I only came out to my best friend though because I ended up falling for him xD (I'm still only out to him) Our friendship's still as good as ever though :slight_smile:

12. Dashton

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my close friends at 16/17 and came out to my family the first few weeks of college when I was 18. I met a guy the 3rd day of school and decided that I was in a new place with new people and there was no need to try and hide who I was. We both fell for each other really quickly and he really wanted to come home with me for Thanksgiving so I told him that I should probably tell my family I'm gay first, haha. Everything went well and he did indeed come home with me. We are still together after 10 years.

I would say that there really is never the "perfect" time to come out. I found myself waiting for that and it never came. Just be honest and open with yourself. For me, after coming out to my family it took some time adjusting to everything but I eventually found out more about myself and have been happy ever since.

13. Pax

Pax

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I did most of my coming out (to family and friends) aged 21 and 22. But, unless you feel the need to tell everyone you meet that you are gay I've found that the process never really stops!

Personally, I wished I'd done it earlier. In the end it was so easy that I felt as though I'd totally wasted years of my life pretending to be someone else.

But, everyone's experience is different and I'm certainly not saying that anyone else should particularly feel that way.

It's all about when you, the individual, feel ready. :slight_smile:

14. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    17. To most other than some family members who I may never tell. I came out after being 100% certain of my sexuality.

15. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I came out to a group of people online when I was 16 almost 17. Real life friends, just recently (18) and most of them know that i'm not sure if i'm gay or bi. I have relationship issues so i'm not positive if i'm gay or rather that i'm really bi. I don't want to come out gay and end up being bi and don't want to come out as bi and be gay. I think that some people use "i'm bi" as a stepping stone which really degrades bisexuality as a sexual orientation. I do no like V. I do not like it here or there I do not like them anywhere. Does that make me gay? Idk