1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well This Just Happened...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HarryIsCute, Dec 12, 2013.

1. HarryIsCute

So I was watching Law & Order: SVU with my dad just now (he doesn't know I'm bi) and the episode is about a 13 yo trans girl (MtF) and her struggle with her dad and such. But where this post is going is simply here: During the entire show my dad made comments about how "if every gene in your body is male how can you be female" and my favvvvvvvorite (SARCASM) "the bible calls it confusion." And that is my "well that just happened.." moment. Do you have any well that just happened moments?

2. Ashley

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was also watching Law & Order: SVU once and the episode opened up with two girls kissing at a party and my mom just starting ranting about how disgusting they were.

3. HarryIsCute

Was this before you came out to her I'm guessing?

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

My mom: "I have nothing against (transgender) those people.

Later...

My mom: "You're just confused because you've been around people like that and you talked to a damn heshe."

5. My parents ranted on stuff the whole time I grew up, it is why I had my own place before I came out

6. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Slightly off-topic: have there ever been lazier scripts for TV than those for CSI? Seems like every other episode was the result of a cursory scan of a Wikipedia page devoted to fetishes and alternative sexualities.

CSI Producer: "Our killer disembowels his victims with a spatula? Not shocking enough. *consults list* OK, we'll make him a women's shoe-loving, furry, scat fetishist." :rolle:

7. Techno Kid

Your mom really makes me upset! :frowning2:

Sorry you have to live with that. (*hug*)

8. Gallatin

Fun fact: I was also watching that episode (SVU is a great study break... except that they're an hour long haha).

But yeah, I've had those moments. I remember back when I had just come out, an SVU episode (what a coincidence) was about a suspected anti-gay hate crime. You should've seen the look on my mom's face.

9. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love SVU...

Especially Casey Novak!

[​IMG]

10. biggayguy

Countless rants from my mom about guys wearing ear rings or dressing in drag. Mom and I liked to watch tv together when I was at home. Sometimes she couldn't resist making a barb at gay people. She hated RuPaul. I loved her! She finally did admit RuPaul was entertaining.

11. juliegt6

My parents are accepting of my orientation and my gender. When I came out though my mom wanted to learn more about transpeople but the bad news is that most of the movies and documentaries had bleak outlooks. Stuff like soldiers girl and bits don't cry; hint, those stories don't end well...

I cringe when most shows represent trans people. If we aren't a stereotype, being murdered, "tricking"straight people, or being psychopaths, We're not shown as "normal". We're like cis-people but went through a transition to fix a birth defect. It's so rare to see that portrayal though.

12. Envira

yeah... when I told my dad about this transguy i knew who was 15 at the time, he said it was probably just a phase he was going through, and "how could she know she wants to be a guy, she's only fifteen?!". BS.

and then when I told him that my friend's 18 year old brother came out as gay, he said that it might just be a phase and that he probably still doesn't know.

13. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a great point.

such shows try so hard to be provocative. In some ways, they almost seem to be the modern day equivalent of circus freak shows, trying to make a buck off of how 'shocking' this or that type of person is.

P. T. Barnum would be happy.