1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Welcome To Canada! :)

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Open Arms, Dec 11, 2015.

1. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Doesn't matter on which side of the polical spectrum we're from, we can agree to disagree on that but the refugee crisis is real.

2. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

In some elections I've voted Conservative; in others Liberal. Usually I vote NDP, as I did in the last one. Harper and many in his government got too arrogant for my liking.

3. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Definitely, it was time for Harper to go. The Conservatives needed a new face with fresh ideas to go forward.

4. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, that is unbelievable. You got mad because Canada is a very racist country, despite you trying to downplay it. Now that a First Nations academic has exposed the country, you try to downplay the ugly realities the white supremacist government has enforced on the First Nations and try to blame it on them? You realize that gays who were oppressed would turn to drugs and alcohol as a means of drowning out their pain, yet you wouldn't dare to blame them would you? No, you would blame it on the homophobia that used to exist in institutions that shaped the way people view them.

As for the high standard, I don't doubt that, but unfortunately it applies to the whites, not the First Nations who have historically had the wealth of their country pillaged by the invasion of Europeans. The former prime minister is a holocaust denier who said Canada didn't commit genocide, all the while this monstrous despot was committing genocide against the indigenous peoples. Oh and we have to hear liberals bewailing the supposed backwardness of indigenous people who club seals; this while the liberals munch down on factory farmed cows. This jingoism your extolling about how Canada's so charitable whitewashes the crimes the colonists have and are committing to this day, and it propounds a view that sweeps First Nations under the rug in favor of a united national (Eurocentric) pseudo-left-wing movement that, like Harper's establishment, would erase their struggles.

Canada only has a high standard of living because it's stolen land from the First Nations, and like other colonized lands, the colonizers are conspicuously rich, while the original inhabitants are very poor.

#24 AtheistWorld, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  5. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

I'm not going to argue with you Atheist World from the USA since you appear to be the expert here on Canada and its issues. I defer to your superior brain because I don't understand half of your rant. Does anyone else understand what he's going on about? More importantly WHY?

As you saw, fellow Canadian Justin, the First Nations academic, and I resolved our differences quite peacefully without ranting or putting each other down. Maybe you could read our exchange and learn something from it???

I see you are 28 years of age and have well over 1,000 posts so there must be something more here than meets the eye. What are you REALLY feeling? You hate Canada and wish I would go away?

6. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Can't we all just agree to disagree? :slight_smile:

By the way, I am first nation if it makes any difference. lol

7. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't say how I feel about the USA, Canada, Australia or any colonized lands without a worry of being banned. What I've said about Canada are things I have said about the USA, so no, it's nothing against Canada personally - I took offense to the idea that Canada was the nicest country on earth just because they welcomed Syrians into their land.

Also, the First Nations academic I was talking about was the author of that article exposing Harper for being the genocidal monster he was. Do yourself a favor and read it. Harper

@Justin: It's so nice to meet a First Nations person. As a Maoist, I view the struggles your people face as an issue at the forefront of globalism/imperialism. Can you tell us about how First Nations are treated, both on an individual level and institutional?

#27 AtheistWorld, Dec 12, 2015
  8. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

Yes Justin. On the thread on racism under Chit Chat I admitted Canada has a problem with racism against Aboriginals. :frowning2:

I have been to northern communities like Cross Lake, Thompson, the Pas, and various ones in northern Ontario, and one of my closest friends is Aboriginal (I was one of her bridesmaids). So I know the prejudice you face even in 2015. It shouldn't be happening, especially since your ancestors were here first.

#28 Open Arms, Dec 12, 2015
  9. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    EC keeps going out for me for some reason so I'll make this quick! I apologize in advance for any mistakes or whatever, I've had to re-type this almost 4 times now...lol

There's so many misconceptions on First Nations people, I've seen the good...the bad and the ugly. I wasn't raised on a reserve by any means, my dad is actually Caucasian and my mom is aboriginal but I have strong ties with the First Nation communities.

Having worked and lived in northern communities I can say from first hand that they have it rough. Since they don't have access to safe water to drink and can't afford water bottles ($60+ for a case of water) they're reduced to buying Pepsi to drink.

They don't have access to education like the rest of us do, many schools do what they can with the limited funding they receive, after high school they most likely end up just staying home because they can't afford to leave their communities by plane to go to college. They don't have access to resources like many of us do so they don't apply for grants and what not to higher their education.

Drugs and alcohol are a big problem, I don't know what's the cause of this. Many say they do that out of boredom. Suicide rate is also elevated, its very sad to see. However, many of their Northern communities have been deemed unsafe since mass floodings, for years the government has been moving them to towns and cities in throughout Ontario. They have a chance to make something of themselves so they choose not to go back.

As for the racism, its not that bad for the most part (at least in these neck of the woods). There's biggots everywhere and that will never change unfortunately... I can say that the mass majority of Canadians are accepting and loving, the little racism we see doesn't reflect what most Canadians think.

10. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

Atheist World, I see you are a Maoist. So what is your ideal country?

11. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    China under Mao or the Soviet Union under Stalin.

12. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is why people don't take you seriously.

13. Psaurus918

That's your ideal country?!?

14. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Seriously? Why?

15. Ryu

Ryu

After watching 12 seasons of southpark:
    Holy crap. Canada is finally doing something other than sucking off of america.
    Actual response:
    Not suprised. I always thought canada was a very open country and now it's even more open in a literal sense.

16. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

I'll take Canada under Harper or Trudeau over China under Mao or the Soviet Union under Stalin any day.

The thing is political idealism usually doesn't work out in real life. Utopia will never be built here on earth, I'm afraid. Not even in Canada :wink:

17. Foz

Foz Guest

So we'll just skip the millions of deaths then?

18. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

There is actually a video now called Welcome To Canada. Not ALL Canadians feel this way, but the majority do. If you are Canadian and want to help with the refugees pouring in over the next few months, contact the Canadian Red Cross. My church will be helping sponsor a Syrian family, so I may get involved that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwESJAn-x4w

19. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    According to polls 50% of Canadians are in favor of bringing in refugees, that's up from the 48% of 2 months ago. :slight_smile:

#39 justin88, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  20. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

I believe that shows that a good percentage do not want 25,000 refugees brought in within the short time span Trudeau was suggesting. If they are properly screened, more Canadians are in favour.