1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weirdest, craziest, or worst advice you've ever received?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jahiem, Sep 19, 2023.

1. Jahiem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've thought of the advice I've received over the years from friends, coworkers, family members and the media. What's the oddest, weirdest, most-ridiculous advice someone has given you?

I used to be a nurses aide, i hated that job and i told my co workers i wanted to get into medical coding and billing and insurances etc. "My co workers at the time you don't want to do that, you're gonna be so bored and miserable" I said to them i rather be bored instead of running around like a chicken with no head cut off and disrespected "Oh True". I am so glad i never listened to them.

I had two different people tell me i should relocate out of state and work at a fast food restaurant that pays $15 an hour.

Go on Welfare

I don't understand why people change jobs. I made $5.15 an hour when i first started in 1984 and i stayed on my job until i retired.

2. Loves books

My aunt told me I should get sterilised so I don’t pass my genetic condition down to any children. I was 12 at the time. I wish she had told my dad that. The same aunt suggested I join a group for people with Aspergers despite the fact I’ve never been diagnosed. She based that on the fact I’m incredibly socially awkward and have no friends, and my apparent ‘obsession’ with books and reading. I’ve learned to take anything she says with a grain of salt.

3. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Loves books.....Might I suggest that you actually don't listen very much to anything your aunt says! Anybody who makes that kind of a comment is just so far out of line that it would be best to stay away from them as much as possible! :old_eek:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

4. LullabyNY

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm asperger, were's the problem? I'm atypical, and probably closer to be 'savant' (I don't believe in "genius factor"). Is full of people like me: Elon Musk, Dan Aykroyd, Anthony Hopkins, Marissa Mayer, Bill Gates, Mark Zuckemberg.. where's the problem?!

#4 LullabyNY, Sep 28, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
  5. New User 10

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When my groom and I were wed, a cousin said we should wear rainbow bow ties with our tuxedoes.

6. New User 10

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We went with black and silver Paisley bow ties with our tuxedoes. Kept it formal and solemn.

7. Loves books

There’s no problem with having Asperger’s but I’m not going to join a group for people with Asperger when I have no confirmation that I actually have it. I looked into actually getting a diagnosis but it costs hundreds of euros for an assessment and in the one appointment I ever had with a psychiatrist she said I was borderline Asperger’s and she thought I had an anxiety problem. It wasn’t an actual diagnosis she got all that from a half hour.

8. LullabyNY

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    in my country is mostly free costs, one thing I love about italia... i say it because I hard many dumb things, victimism is the worst thing you won't face the problems

9. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The worst advice I got was from my dad. He suggested I drink more herbal tea to help with my mental health issues and that I don't need psychiatric help for that. :dizzy_face:I'm fully serious.

10. Violet Rain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What she said is just so wrong. It's your choice to have kids or not, and even if you do have Asperger's, it's not a death sentence to you or any children you may have.

I've had so much horrible advice over the years, it's really hard to pinpoint only one part to share.

One of the "favorites" in the top ten was given to me by not one, but two unpublished writers (who kept getting rejections) telling me to listen to them, not an editor with a lot of experience, and who was one of the best in the business. I listened to the editor, obviously.

11. Jahiem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I always say sometimes parents give the worst advice ever.

My mom was trying to convince me to go on welfare and that i can't work any overtime or get a huge pay raise because it will mess up my rent for the low income apartment. I just laughed and i think i told her most people want to get off welfare not be on it

12. Doodette

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not to me but my sister has epilepsy and my dad told my mom that she wouldn't have seizures if my mom "spent some quality time with her"

13. Chillton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I received some crazy advice that changed my outlook on life. When I was 18 I worked at a grocery store to make a little extra income to help with college. I helped a lady not much older than me carry out groceries to her car because she had a broken arm. She was a very comical and amusing person. After I finished loading her car, I closed the trunk and she thanked me and we said goodbye. On her trunk she had a bumper sticker of a Christian fish that also said Darwin in the middle of it. I never saw it before and found it very perplexing and zoned out. The lady came back slowly and asked if everything was alright. I apologized and told her I was confused by her bumper sticker. Her eyes lit up like a Christmas tree and eagerly asked how I felt about it. I told her I didn't really have an opinion but I thought it was asking for people to road rage at her. She cackled and said that's exactly why she got it and she loved to mess with people. Very densely I asked but why would you do that to yourself.

she sighed very sweetly and said there are 3 kinds of people. 1 normal good joes like you, nothing wrong with that we need more people like you. 2 people who enforce rules no matter the cost, even themselves. 3 people who cause chaos and put everyone in check, like me. I am an agent of chaos and I thrive and relish in it. This baffled me and blew my mind. A self proclaimed agent of chaos, go figure. She again eagerly awaited my response. I told her I never thought to understand the reality of the world by watching it burn down around me. This was not the answer she was expecting but she loved it while laughing hysterically and said and now you'll never be the same again. She cackled while jumping into her car and peeled off leaving tires marks in the parking lot.

So yeah that's how I see and understand society now. Learning how the world works in mysterious ways by constantly watching it burning down and rebuilding itself again only to repeat the cycle. The world is a messy, silly, chaotic, and unfair place. It's not a good or bad thing, just a fact. Reality is a trip.

14. Loves books

When I was in school a teacher told me to perfect the stuff I was good at in a subject and don’t worry about the parts of the subject I was terrible at. My mother wholeheartedly disagreed. I guess she’d rather I was subpar on the subject in its entirety than try to scrape a passing grade from the parts I was good at. I thought it odd advice but might have been useful.