1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ways to explore gender?/Tips for questioning ?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by questions4ever, Dec 26, 2019.

1. questions4ever

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I have finally stopped pushing down my thoughts about “not quite being a women/cis” and “oh everyone feels disconnected from their assigned gender” and accepted that I’ve been off and on questioning my gender for the past 4 years and I might be “trans enough” to explore how non-binary/genderqueer feel as gender identities. I’m struggling a lot on where to even begin because I have so many doubts and judgments towards myself. What are some ways AFAB people have played with gender identity and tips for navigating the questioning process?

2. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The best way to that is to try wearing clothing of the opposite sex, in your case men's clothing. I'm AMAB and I started with women's underwear, worked my way up to a purse, nail polish, and now a skirt. Men are more low-maintenance than women, so there are not as many ways to try that. Try more loose-fitting clothing, T-shirts, maybe a ball cap, also possibly cargo pants or cargo shorts. Maybe you could try a masculine hairstyle, or that could be something you may want to put off for the time being, that's up to you.

3. WhisperinShadow

I agree with Mikey D. The best way is to start shopping in the men's section. I did the same some years ago and I didn't regret it. You could start with a shirt, underwear or Jeans like I did. Another way to experiment is a new hairstyle and see how it makes you feel. Or even jewellry that is considered masculine.

Going to the gym and building more muscle is what helped me for example to feel more comfortable in my skin.

4. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Clothing is a good first step.
    As is changing up the hairstyle. If a fully masculine cut isn’t possible, I’d definitely go with a more neutral cut.

I’m AMAB, but my exploration began far before puberty. It first began with bras, then it expanded into using “women’s” deodorant when I could.
    And then once I was able to escape the clutches of those who would control me, I started doing Drag. When I became Frankie Winter, I felt complete. And then I started “Girl Moding” it more often at night or days off. One night, I was out at karaoke, and had Girl Moded it, when I had my revelation.