1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to come out to mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GPotato, Jul 17, 2017.

1. GPotato

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just recently discovered myself as bisexual a week ago and I already feel bottled up and want to tell someone. I don't have any friends, so I can't tell anyone there and I could tell my dad, he'd be accepting, but he would probably tell his girlfriend and she doesn't know how to keep a secret at all. My mom would accept me for who I am no matter what, it's just a year ago, I was having thoughts that I was bisexual and I told my mom and she said I was probably just confused because I was too young to think about that stuff. I just had my birthday today and I really want to tell her. What should I do?

2. Unknown737

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It sounds like she would be accepting. I have a similar feeling of wanting to tell people or just get it out. It is ultimately up to you but it sounds like it would not cause any problems. So if you feel like it is right for YOU, then do what your heart desires. Good Luck!

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey maybe you can just say to her that you haven't changed your mind so it's not a phas and you are not confused. You could always download her some information from the PFLAG website. It sounds like she is accepting just perhaps scared or shocked and that's why she said those things. If you want to it go for it.

4. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Putting a good spin on it, "confused" is what nice people say who aren't themselves ready to hear it. But that was then. Pardon me for laughing (or at least smiling) over your assessment of your dad's GF. You sound like the mature one around the house. It's your call but it sounds like the waves are not too big for you to surf. (That's our CA way of putting it.) It often helps to say it in terms of actions ("I like girls") than abstract things ("I am a such-and-such [fill in category]").

5. iliketolift1

A laundry room. Pretty happy here. I think...
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you are safe and you think you wont get a bad reaction I say go for it! Both of your parents seem accepting. I actually wanted to come out on my birthday because I feel like it would force my mom to be nicer about it XD (not that I dont think she would be accepting lol). I like beenthrdonetht's idea. I think it makes things easier and clearer for parents to process when you simply say you like girls and guys rather than using labels. I think at 16 sexuality starts to become more of a definite and I know a lot of people are coming out at that age these days.

Also Happy Birthday!!! (yesterday I think lol)

6. GPotato

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you all for your advice. How should I bring it up? When do you think would be a good time?

7. iliketolift1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you wanna do it serious just find a time during the day when your mom isn't busy and ask if you can have a sit down conversation, then just tell her whats on your mind. If you wanna go the less serious route you could just bring it up in conversation randomly to make it seem like less big of a deal if you get my drift. I always wanted to do it like Rose Ellen Dix (youtuber) suggested on her youtube channel: "Mom do you want to play gay tag? Its just like regular tag but i'm it, always". I thought it was hilarious. She has really funny recommendations for ways to come out if you want the coming out to be more chill.

8. GPotato

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tried to talk to my mom, but the words couldn't escape my mouth. I couldn't even start the conversation. I think instead I will tell my dad and hope that, if I tell him not to, he won't tell his girlfriend about me. I've already started the conversation by telling him about gay pride month, did I do a good?? He is getting sushi right now so I'm in the car alone. I'm so nervous, wish me luck!

9. GPotato

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dang it. I didn't do it. I asked him about what his opinion was on a girl in my class who identifys as gay and he said the same thing as my mom. I don't think I'll have the courage to tell either of them for a while.

10. iliketolift1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Bummer, I dont know what else to do about that but show your parents that even us young'uns can know who we are. I think its mostly an ignorance thing. I wouldnt worry about it too much. Being comfortable with yourself is already a huge step so be proud of that! You will come out when the time is right.

11. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey if you feel like you want to tell them but can't get the words out you could write them a letter, you can either read it to them or hand it to them for them to read.

Ruby Dragon likes this.
  12. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. Write a letter. That's how I came out to my parents. It took them a while to be cool with it (They are very homophobic) but it ended in hugs and I-love-you's so I think they may finally be coming to terms with it. They were very careful about attaching gender to my future partner. They said, if you meet someone instead of if you meet a guy so I think they will be happy for me, no matter who I end up dating. Your parents sound very accepting, so I think it will go well for you. I know how hard it can be to come out to someone in person, but it gets easier, I promise. But if you don't feel brave enough, write them a letter and leave it somewhere you know they'd find it. Then the ball's in their court and talking about it will be a bit easier. I hope you find the courage to come out, no matter how you do it. Good luck!