1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VIRGINIA (Moving Tips? Places to check out?)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Belle the Bee, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Belle the Bee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ok so after too long of a time in court with my parents over custody, my mom, sister and I are finally moving to Virginia.
    We currently live in Michigan and I've lived in the same town my whole life.
    So how's Virginia?
    I've visited once and loved it but first impressions can be deciving.
    Also I'm a sophomore in high school, so any advice on starting a new school?
    And are LGBT youth welcome?
    Sorry so many questions, but this is all so new (and scary and exciting and a lot of other emotions)

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Virginia is a big state with a lot of different regions, each with its own culture and level of LGBT friendliness. What part will you be moving to?

3. AKTodd

Virginia is something of a mixed bag, really.

On the one hand it has a long history of being a conservative red state where you can still find people flying the Confederate flag and complaining about the 'War of Northern Aggression'. OTOH it has taken on a distinctly blue tinge in some ways (Governor, Lt. Gov, and Attorney General are all elected Democrats). SSM is legal here.

A lot can depend on what part of the state you are living in.

Northern Virginia (basically Washington DC and the surrounding areas) is very blue and has a high liberal quotient. The Human Rights Campaign is based there and in some areas of the city you can see guys holding hands.

I haven't had much to do with Richmond, but my understanding is that it has a fairly large and vibrant LGBT community. Not anything on the scale of DC or NY or LA, but they're there.

The Tidewater region (aka Hampton Roads), made up of seven cities (Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Hampton, and Newport News) and possibly Williamsburg is a bit of a mixed bag at the city level. Norfolk is pretty reliably Democratic, Va. Beach (really people call it 'Vah Beach') is reliably Republican). There is an annual Pride event in Norfolk in a major public park in the middle of town and no one cares. OTOH there is only a small LGBT community center and a few bars, meetups, etc. Probably on the small side for the overall size of the population here.

I'm not really familiar with the Western part of the state. My sense is that it's more rural and more conservative.

In terms of nature and natural beauty - some parts of the state are gorgeous. There are a fair number of national parks and preserves. Other parts not so much, particularly due to a near total lack of environmental regulations. But there are beautiful areas where the trees change colors that you can drive through, farms that grow organic food that is available in farmer's markets, some not bad mountains in the West (where I live in the East, it's totally flat), lots of opportunities for boating if you like that sort of thing, etc.

If you like American history, this place is the mother lode. First British colonies, Revolutionary War and Civil War, various military and government museums (with the Smithsonian in DC being at the top of the heap), etc. etc.

In terms of how LGBT youth fair in the schools here, I'm afraid I don't have any information on that. I'd suggest googling the LGBT center for whatever major area you're moving to (Hampton Roads, Richmond, DC, whatever) and see if you can get a phone number to talk to someone who can provide more direct information. I do know that our local LGBT center (Hampton Roads) does have a youth program.

Hope this helps,

Todd

4. Belle the Bee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Crozet is the town, just outside of Charlottesville. I think its mid-north?

5. Incognito10

Virginia is diverse. Northern Virginia is very different from southwest Virginia. Crozet is near Charlottesville, which is central Va. The University of Virginia is located there and from what I understand, makes it more of a liberal, diverse area. Crozet is outside of Charlottesville and looks a bit rural (at least from driving through on the interstate). This area is not going to be anywhere near as diverse as northern Va near Washington, but it's not going to be as close-minded as some of the areas in the southern and western part of the state. Recreationally, I think the Charlottesville area is ideal because you simply drive west on I-64 and you're in the mountains, drive east on I-64 and you're at the beach. Just fyi, I don't live there (I am about three hours north across the river in Maryland but go through Virginia all the time), so get better opinions. Like a lot of places, it's going to really depend on the crowd you're able to mix in with. Even in many conservative areas, if you seek them out, you can find LGBT, liberal enclaves amidst it all and from my time in Va, those seem to be present--I have a very liberal coworker with a house in Charlottesville.

#5 Incognito10, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  6. tscott

I lived in Northern Virginia for about 8 years in McLean outside of DC. I was in a straight marriage then, but we'd a number of gay friends and it looked to have a fairly vibrant LGBT community. The western part of Virginia is very rural, beautiful lakes and mountains. You should be fine in Charlottesville. It's a big university town. Actually, any big university town should be welcoming. It's a beautiful state with marvelous architecture.

7. candyjiru

Ooh~ my home state~~ Northern Virginia is much more liberal as it's near the capitol, and there are a lot of people who are lgbt friendly~ The southern regions... hmm... I went to college there and remember the GSA passed out rainbow stickers to show their rooms were lgbt friendly... and there were people who *refused* to put them up... there was also the guy who spray-painted "NO MO HOMOS" on his pickup truck... smdh. I'd say the north would be more friendly, but also be prepared for higher prices T.T

8. Magnemma

Magnemma Guest

I love Virginia, I only went for a vacation once but it was amazing. I especially liked the Duke gardens.

9. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suggest Alexandria, especially Old Town, which is just outside of DC. Probably the best city in VA, for me: good nightlife, artsy, liberal...but a bit pricey. Still, it's about the only place in VA I'd really consider living. Much of the DC burbs are just too sprawling and congested; Alexandria still has a nice downtown, and lots of historic charm, and is very close to DC via the Metro. You could live there without a car, even.

10. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OOOOOOOOOOO..... Crozet is a nice town, I'm at Virginia Tech now and I do some hiking around Crozet. It's quaint and peaceful. They appear to have a really open, friendly environment. :slight_smile:

11. qhosti

I live near the Richmond tri cities, it's not as bad as it could be I suppose and there's plenty of LGBT people around. I'm a sophmore in high school as well and the people I've told that I'm a lesbian to have all been really accepting and okay with it and I know my gay friend who recently came out to everyone was accepted by a majority of people

I guess the area you move to is what really matters but its always cool to hear about people moving here

12. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I live in the southwest part of Virginia and yeah it's really conservative, but I wouldn't say it's as conservative as the deep south. I feel like people are more tolerate of others, like they might "disagree", but they usually keep it themselves. Saying that, I really want to move somewhere else, because there's really nothing to do around here unless you're an outdoors-y person.