1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viewers kick up a stink about Home and Away lesbian storyline...

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Hidden Angel, May 29, 2009.

1. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Click for Article
    Click for Video

Arrgh!! This annoys me so much, it was the only reason I started watching the show!
    why is it alright to expose kids to storylines about rape, drugs, child abuse, and stuff like that on this show but it's not ok for them to see two females kissing???
    It's also :***:ed up!!

2. JakeBHT

I havent time to read or watch but i agree with you point entiely. Write a strongly worded and get others to do the same. Thios usually makes them think twice about apologising for it!

3. JakeBHT

I have now watched it and it seems to be just totally unreasionable to have this fuss, maybe it is just much more accepting in the UK cause we have gay story lines all the time, like in a program called "skins" there was male Gay sex. In soaps like "eastenders" there is gay story lines everywhere, have been since about 3 years ago and maybe before. I think there is a big difference bettween the acceptance of different countries!
    Hope that the program holds its ground on this one.

4. ELusiveMuse

ELusiveMuse Guest

that is so silly! As said above it's almost commonplace on our soaps and has been since the mid 90's, what's up with some people?!

5. riddlerno1

i saw this when it was broadcast a couple of weeks ago and it was a true reflection of Charlie the cop battling with her feelings towards another woman. It was actually a very true story of what happens for lots of people out there!

surely this cant be the first time Home and Away have done a sexuality storyline in its 21 years??

6. China33

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    that is so silly!

7. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Gays and lesbians being portrayed on TV? Head for the hills!

DEAR GOD, WHAT'S THIS WORLD COME TO?!?! :rolleyes:

8. Just Adam

its not jsut that we have them its also where we have them.

there was the gay story lines in hollyoaks a show aimed at young teenagers, skins teh same ...

then we have the soaps who throw one in every few years.

then we only need to look at some celebs

john barrowman, sir ian mckellen to name a few....

then we have music,art,sport

the only place i would like to see people come out is football as i think it could do a) alot for the sport show its not the backbone of the manly straight stereotype and help show those less than friendly that i can kick a ball and still check out the opposing striker. sad thing is players are still to afraid due to negative reaction :frowning2:

and after the suicide of the only open footballer justin fashanu i cant imagine they are too keen to come out :frowning2:

#8 Just Adam, May 29, 2009
    Last edited: May 29, 2009
  9. I'm surprised they're doing it over lesbians. It's usually "hip" and "cool" on shows here to have lesbian story lines. Like characters who were straight but have decided to give other women a try usually does good for ratings. A good example is the Callie/Erica or Callie/Arizona pairing on Grey's Anatomy. A lot of soaps and dramas here will do it, but they don't usually want to venture on to the territory of gay males. That's usually not as "cool" for some reason.

10. Just Adam

^ i kind of agree this isnt the sort of reaction to lesbians but in the media world it will be other women ( sorry nothing personal just based on experience) that see this and complain that its wrong

11. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jeeze.. That aired AGESS ago here lol.
    It was kinda annoying. I don't wach Home and Away, but having that censored was really annoying, considering Neighbours has had HEAPS of gay storylines with gay kisses in an earlier timeslot and haven't had this happen to them.

12. KittyBoy

I don't watch Home and Away, though my mum loves watching it. I think it's because of the age and acceptance brackets that seven appeals to at the specific time. While Neighbours and ten appeal to different age and acceptance brackets.

13. Stanley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Say what? Neighbours has had gay storylines?
    Maybe I just don't notice them.
    Sadly I grew up watching Home and Away, but we switched to Neighbours a few years ago.
    That being said Donna totally stole Sunny's first kiss! Omg lesbian peck! Haha

Sadly there are always (well hopefully not always) going to be people who just don't like gays and lesbians, ect.
    Just like there's probably always going to be racist and sexist people.
    It's not entirely their own fault as it has to do with how they were raised, but once they get to a certain age they should be able to think for themselves.
    I know I did.

In conclusion, people suck.

14. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Comparing to skins probably isn't that good a comparison. In Aus, there totally different channels. Skins is aired in the same time slot on the same channel as Queer as folk was. H&A is aired in prime time on one of the 3 main channels.

Either way, just another religious wanker pushing his weight around.

15. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

I think the line of reasoning is this:

Two (pretty) chicks kissing = hot (for straight males), therefore OK to be shown on TV (but the girls are just slutty or at best 'confused', don't tell me stories about lesbian love!).

Two guys kissing = disgusting/perverse. I'd better not watch this or I might turn gay!

16. Oh, yeah, I know why they do it. I was just attempting sarcasm, which really shouldn't be attempted over the internet. But it's just weird because you are basically bombarded with lesbianism on TV in America (not that I'm complaining, I'm quite fond of lesbians) but finding gay guys on TV is like looking for Sarah Palin's gay friends, it's really difficult or damn near impossible.

17. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Apparently not.

18. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely. Network TEN have always won the 16-39 demographic with most of their shows and although Neighbours only gets around 800,000-900,000 viewers now, the majority of those viewers are in the show's intended demographic so Freemantle Media can get away with a lot more to suit that demographic, whereas Home and Away gets around 1.1 million viewers on average (can be as low as 900,000 or as high as 1.2 depending on the leadin from Today Tonight and whatnot). Home and Away isn't going the greatest in demographics because of the leadin from Seven News and Today Tonight, which gives a lot of spillage of viewers. Around 1.4-1.8 million will watch Seven News, then it'll go down to 1.3-1.5 for Today Tonight and then go down to 1.1-1.2 for Home and Away, as people will stay tuned in for what's on at 7:30. So even though Home and Away has higher ratings, as the younger demographics are somewhat lacking they can't get away with a lot because of all the older people staying tuned in for whatever's on next.
    See, Neighbours is always winning its demographics as its leadin is The Simpsons. Around 900,000-1.1 million viewers watch TEN News at Five, and then at 6PM around 800,000 watch The Simpsons. However, from 6-7PM most of the older people watching TEN News at Five would have switched to another network as The Simpsons AND Neighbours would be too much to sit through, whereas on Seven it's only 30 mins to sit through, as opposed to an hour.
    So while the adults switch to Seven and Nine to watch the news, the kids switch to TEN to watch The Simpsons.

Now do you get why Neighbours has gotten away with teenage pregnancy, rape, same-sex relationships and flings and so much more over the years?

19. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

There was a story of a Gay guy on there years ago, but i don't think there was ever any passionate scenes.

20. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Notice though that the "critics" are the people whose opinions don't mean anything such as a church minister and a family values organization. To me it's just a laugh riot and I agree with the actress, they need to get a reality check.