1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very inspiring message.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by NateDawg, Aug 27, 2009.

1. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow. All of these oopinions are great. I understand everyones statements. It just really is how you believe in things though. I personally have had this happen to a friend of mine Literally. Sure the story in the message seams a little exxagerated, but the point of the story is to stand up for what you belive and not force it unto everyone. A lot of the story could have been written out better. We dont' know if the class asked the student to share his story or what. We don't know if the class jsut told the professor to GTFO or what. There's so much to the "story" we don't know. However what I take form the story is to stand up for what you believe in no matter if it's being shuved down your throat or what. I also think if the class didn't ask the student to speak, then I would take into consideration that one of the other students would have stood up and said, "woah woah woah, wait a minute" you stood up for what you believe in to the professor, but i agree with him". See? There's just too much of the story leftout that makes the story seem fake.

ON a godo note, I have known of this happening before, but it went down a different way. The profesor ended up getting fired for it.

2. 71390S

71390S Guest

I have no issue with religious/christian people who aren't all fundie, but that video made me lolz a lot. Why take a class where you know the prof is a close minded asshole? Or, why not take the class and challenge his logic, not by emotional preaching but presenting another view of what faith means and what it can mean to believe in God. The professor is probably an angry atheist who takes religious texts literally, when many religious people do not take it literally. And well, how that kid responded is certainly not going to make that angry atheist become any more open minded.

3. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm gonna try and keep my comments on this short lest I anger anyone. I disbelieve that video and am pretty irked by it. This video pisses me off a ton for a number of reasons. At the end it says you have two choices and all that garbage and it acts like if you disbelieve it your some brain dead moron drooling into a cup or lying to yourself or something. It seems very hypocritical to me.

Second, if I linked a video where a religious person had their faith shattered and called it inspiring people would get really pissed off. That's also hypocritical. I'm sure religious people would be very offended if the roles in this were reversed and a catholic person had their whole views shattered and I talked about how great it was.

Third I find it pretty stupid how its like "we believe what newspapers say but question the bible" yet its just told us about some sort of so called miracle on a friggin youtube video and expects us to drop all our beliefs and worship god.

Fourth, it says its funny that people share jokes but not messages about the lord, that's because sharing stuff like that, in my opinion, is very rude because not everyone shares that belief.

I'm an atheist and that video is pretty much saying I'm an ignorant dumbass for rejecting facts told to him by a video on the internet made by the very credible religious expect who I like to call "some fucking guy with a computer and movie maker"
    ok I really have to stop or I'll go on forever
    I just hate that video, lots

4. olides84

5. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    my theory that with anger at the student the proffesor got careless and made it slip
    if you guys are saying that now we should belive in everything the bible says then that means you also have to belive that you cannot be with the people you love because it is a sin.
    i do to some extent belive in god but i do not belive god will make all these rules that make no sense whatso ever.

6. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    sorry you feel this way. It's not bashing anone. It's just showing that we all should stand up for what we believe. there are again like i said before so many things that this story be made fake. That's your choice on what and what not to believe.

Sorry you feel this way as well.

7. 71390S

71390S Guest

Yeah we should stand up for what we believe in, but the way that guy stood up for his beliefs wasn't very productive. It's like the professor was on his high horse, and then this kid got on his high horse. I know it's fake, but I'm just sayin.'

8. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Re: Very inspiring message

I'm sorry, ConfusedDude, but questions of the story's legitimacy are not a matter of feelings. Whether or not the story is true is something that can be proven, unlike God's existence, and thus it is not a matter or feeling, but a matter of reason and logic. Feelings have nothing to do with facts.

9. Shimmi

Shimmi Guest

At least if nothing else , U shared your views with others how they react is out of your control. Everyone knows that religion is based on faith.
    If everyone was the same the world would be boring. I just enjoy reading the posts. It helps me step out of my narrow view and expand.

10. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you. I can't help what other people think. Everyone has their own faith and beliefs. I accept that. As others have said, there are so many things that make this story seem to be fake. Of course, it sounds fake. I agree there. However, I don't exactly see it as if its right or wrong. It's telling us to stand up for what we believe. The student stood up for himself because of the professor. Now what went on after that we have no idea. There was too many details left out.

11. olides84

As do I.
    It doesn't just sound fake, or feel fake; it IS fake. That is reality. See links above, pretty please :slight_smile:
    Yes, I agree, stand up for what you believe. There are many real-life examples of standing up for what you believe - Rosa Parks, Mahatma Ghandi, Osama bin Laden, Adolf Hitler. Were they right or wrong? Depends on your perspective I suppose. But some on this thread are strongly against this fable because of its propaganda against non-believers, and are further pissed/annoyed/irked because it is portraying events that never happened.
    More details? How is this relevant for a made-up story?

12. xequar

There weren't details left out! It's a fabricated story! You can't "leave out" details in a fabricated story. Apparently the author that conjured this tale of the evil professor and the stalwart Christian that vanquished him didn't feel that additional detail was relevant to the tale. Saying that the author "left out" details is like saying that J.K. Rowling "left out" details from the Harry Potter stories. You can't "leave out" something that didn't exist!

13. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I think I hear an echo. (Looks at my previous post.) Oh, right. :slight_smile:

QFT. As others have said, if a non-believer on this forum were to post a made up story about logic winning the day and a religious person being embarrassed, the theists here would be equally offended as we nonbelievers are now. Still, if it inspires you, then that's fine by me. I'm sure there are people out there who were aghast when Harvey Milk or Martin Luther King Jr. tried to inspire others with their words. It's just perspective, like olides said.