1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Verifying online friendships

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Bring it, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Bring it

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Long story short, I met a guy on a dating app. We've been talking for a few days and we're hitting it off fairly well. I've been thinking of taking a step and shifting off the app to something more maintainable like Skype. However, I want to make sure he is who he says he is before I give him something with my information. Are there any good ways to do this? Or should I just take the chance and add him on Skype and video chat?

2. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What kind of information are you sharing in your skype? Maybe make a separate Skype account that is apart from your personal account until you feel comfortable with him having whatever information you're worried about him obtaining?

3. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe get him to send some pictures in various weird poses, like with a fork on his head or something, just to make sure he is who he says lol. It sounds weird, but I did it with my boyfriend when we first started talking online two years ago lol.

I would also maybe wait a little bit too and get to know him a bit more before doing a video call. Like, my boyfriend and I didn't have our first video call until after 4 months of us messaging back and forth. Not to say you should wait 4 months, but maybe a couple weeks just to see how he is first.

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, a few days sounds a bit rushed to do Skype, at least video calls. You could try a different messaging service or just non-video chats on Skype.

Twist brings up a good point about a separate account for such strangers. Also, remember that whatever you share online may not be 100% private, so be aware. Likewise, with online dating, you can't be 100% certain of the identity of the other person, but you can get close (facebook and instagram profiles can help).

Young Blood likes this.
  5. Loves books

Do what the show Catfish suggested. ask him for a picture of him holding a piece of paper with your name on it.