1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update on "pregnant man"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by beckyg, Jun 25, 2008.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I never said he didn't have a right or wasn't allowed. The ability to have a child is obviously a human right, and duty, there's no question there. But the ability to make a child, and carry it to term is one of the basic rights of women. Men don't have that right. So it comes down to in this case, using women, using their nature, but in function only. It's sort of a like a one night stand: take what you want of the woman, and leave the rest, it causes harm to the female gender and trivializes what it means to be a woman.[/QUOTE]

What harm is it causing to the female gender? I'm a female. I don't feel the least bit threatened by a transgender man having a baby. Probably the only people that do feel threatened by it are the same ones that feel threatened by homosexuality or transgender people in general. My greatest concern is whether or not that child will be loved and cared for and I have no doubt that Thomas and Nancy will do just that. Love makes a family. It doesn't matter who gives birth.

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

Yes, the baby is bioligically his. They used a sperm donor and used artificial insemination. Yes, he has ovaries although he had to have one fallopian tube removed after a tubal pregnancy. The baby will be bottle fed.

3. Micah

The issue of pregnancy being a "womanly" act was covered in the interview with him and Oprah quite intellegently I think. Essentially, he said that having a child wasn't necessarily a womanly action. Yes, typically speaking women go through with pregnancy, but the desires, associations and feelings of pregnancy are human ones. The only reason they're typically associated with women is because (until now) there has been no alternative.

4. crimsonarcher

wait, Becky, is he aware of EC?
    I mean, have you told him about it?

5. LOVEjames

He should join EC. -nods- His intro thread would be full of "OHMYGODILOVEYOU."

6. shakerdancee

This is the best thing that has happened in the history of forever.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah, I did tell him about it. I inquired about t-shirts before we decided to go with Cafe Press. Thomas and Nancy own a t-shirt business that they had to put on hold during the pregnancy and the media coverage.

8. crimsonarcher

wow. think he might join it?