1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unpleasant Situation?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Arrya, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Arrya

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey, 16/F here. I've been closeted for about four years now, and have finally decided to walk the road to acceptance. For the last few weeks, I've been having a tough time figuring myself out; I used to be positive I was bisexual, but I tried to change myself by repressing same sex feelings. My attraction to girls feels very internally blocked off-- I know it's there, but recovering it and embracing it will take a lot of patience and effort.

I host a club at my school, and there are a lot of very intelligent people there who happen to be LGBQ. Last week, we began to speak about sexuality, and a gay male friend of mine (who also happens to be pretty abrasive) directly told me he didn't think I was straight because I dated a rather effeminate guy. I was really tired and a lot had happened that week--everyone before me stated their sexuality and I said nothing. I knew I could have responded to him in several ways after that comment-- I could have outrightly and dishonestly denied what he said, cracked a joke about my friend and given an ambiguous answer, or said I was questioning. Instead I screwed up and said that I wasn't straight-- then immediately changed my answer and said I used to identify as bisexual but now I'm straight. At that point in time I was seriously considering that I was no longer bi (though I know otherwise now.) He denied what I said, saying it was completely impossible since we are born into our orientation. I then conceded and told the club I was bisexual.

Thirty seconds later I changed my mind again, interrupted him when he had moved on to something else, and started going on a rant about how sexuality was more fluid than he said. I said too much information about myself and looked pretty stupid, making a big deal out of it. Besides him there were three girls there-- one bisexual and two lesbian, as well as three or four straight people. I felt backed into a corner-- I was not ready to tell anyone I was bisexual, not having been sure about it myself, and especially not like this. Only one of my friends knew, and he goes to a different school. Nobody from my own school knew directly, not even my close friends. I feel dishonest and stupid now, and feel like now I cannot make friends with them easily because of my general immaturity about the topic last week. They are some of the only queer people I know and I don't want to isolate myself from the opportunity of friendship. I know I'll feel uncomfortable next week because I put a public label on myself too soon, felt visibly ashamed about the label, and now I feel the need to live up to it. I did not really come out, obviously, but I feel my switching back and forth spoke for itself.

I know I'm bi now, but I was not ready to say what I said last week, especially because I denied my sexuality altogether. This particular friend also always makes me slip up and say the wrong thing. This is more of a rant. I know the situation will eventually subside and everything will be fine, but it felt like a very unpleasant experience and I needed to say something.

#1 Arrya, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017