1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

university advice for lgbt??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by faultyink, Nov 17, 2018.

1. faultyink

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you've been to university and have some advice for someone who's a little worried please share!! if you have any cool stories feel free to share all lol

2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my experience, Universities are generally pretty safe spaces for LGBT people. The University I went to, they always had flags out for pride week, and flew the rainbow flag outside on the flag pole during that time also. They even had an LGBT group (unfortunately I couldn't go to since the course I took was way to busy to do anything like that).
    I think most Universities are pretty accepting of LGBT people, but I guess it does also depend on where you're going to school too. You can probably look up "[School Name] LGBT" to see if they have any resources or groups for LGBT students.

3. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Look into your university and see if they have some sort of an official LGBT affairs office on campus. If they do then great, get in contact with them and they can help give you specific details on things that your university has when it comes to LGBT related activities like a Gay Straight Alliance or just other events in general. If there isn't an office like that for your campus, I would still investigate online as much as possible to try and find any other resources either your university or the surrounding area/city your university is in has. When it comes to personal experiences, I was actually the treasurer of my university's GSA until very recently where I had to step down because I will be studying abroad next semester. I do not regret being active in the LGBT community on campus one bit but I will also say that things like the GSA or LGBT office are not for everybody (as in not everybody may end up liking them) but I would still give either of them a chance if they are available. We also did pride week here at my university and even had an entire pride month before but that was hard as fuck to manage. Aside from that, we also had various different movies that we've also showcased at my university too with LGBT themes in them. Like I said, it was an all around fun time.

4. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most universities have a LGBT group. The ones I went to sucked, though. It's more of a ''let's chill together on the sofa'' group than a ''let's actually do something useful'' group, at least from what I've seen.

Most people just won't care about your gender/sexuality. They're too busy working on their courseloads, lol.