1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

under pressure

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by aslan, Sep 16, 2010.

1. aslan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My mum is pressuring me to come out to my brother. He is the only person out of my immediate friends and family I haven't told, but I don't feel ready to quite yet. Do I tell her to but out or what? Its starting to stress me out...

2. Heyitsme

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should never come out to somebody unless you are completely ready to. So I think you should tell your mom that you just aren't ready yet, and see what happens from there.

3. Holmes

What's your relationship with your brother like, and what's your problem with him knowing? Do you still live in the same house, and how old is he? You might have outlined this before here, I just want to get a feel of your family relations before giving you any advice.

4. aslan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Were quite close but we never talk about our relationships. I think he might know or suspect anyway. We've bothed moved out and live in separate cities, but we often visit home at the same time. I don't really feel the need to tell him quite yet anyway, but my mum said I should tell him "for the family".

5. Holmes

Well if you're close, tell him because of that, not for the family. I'd say you just really need to assure your mother that you will tell him after a time, when it feels right.

She probably wants to be able to refer to you being gay even when he's there, not to have to not mention it. Or in case you had a boyfriend over or something. So I understand, but just try to reassure her that you will tell him when the time is right.