1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[TW 'A straight, hyper masculine, jock's thoughts on sexuality']

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Bruce Wayne, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Bruce Wayne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fighting for LGBTQ+ rights helps heterosexual males. As an ‘alpha male jock’, to have such a progressive opinion on LGBTQ+ rights should not come as a shock. It only helps me to help you. This desensitizes the stigma around masculinity in society. We are made to feel that sexuality is a black or white scale and that we must fall on either end of the spectrum. At its core, this train of thought challenges one’s own identity.

Homophobia is just that, an irrational fear of homosexuality. The common treatment for irrational fears is Exposure Response Therapy. The irrational fear stems from an anxiety of the unknown. By surrounding yourself with people that identify with either of the LGBTQ+ initials, you will understand that everyone is the same except for one factor: sexual preference.

It also stems from a cultural upbringing of the individual. In the US, where locker rooms are a common concept in elementary schools, it is normal for students to see each other completely naked. Hence, why one of my straight friend’s is comfortable with having sexual intercourse with a female while an another male friend is present. Whereas growing up in India, I have a different view on the situation. I am comfortable with complimenting my friends on their good looks without any sexual connotation. It is a collectivist society where both you and I are like brothers. This is not the case in the US, specifically within the African American society, where any statement that might be considered as ‘gay’ is followed by a ‘pause’ or ‘no homo.'

Sexuality, to 'eli5 it', is a scale from 1 to 10. I am personally a 2-3, I am comfortable enough with my sexuality to say another man is attractive. That does not mean that I want to have a sexual relationship (5) or a romantic relationship (7) with him. Now, someone who is bisexual will have the ability to have sexual/romantic relationships with more than one gender. A homosexual is exclusive to his/her/their gender. Where you lie on the scale is completely fluid, and it may change at different periods in your life or it may stay the same throughout.

In terms of sending a message to other students (of a similar demographic/close minded background) who are unfamiliar or unaware how to frame their stance on this topic, how can I improve? Am I even sending the right message? How can I speak up?

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello Bruce Wayne! Welcome to EC!:slight_smile:

I'm a little unclear about the purpose of your post/treatise. Are you asking for input to become a better Ally?

3. Bruce Wayne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello Quantumreality!

Yes, you are right. I would love some input in order to become a better Ally.

As someone who goes to college in the US, I am constantly hanging out with friends in my social circle that fit the 'typical frat bro' stereotype. When conversing about topics such as homosexuality, I believe that most of them are uneducated on the subject and therefore, have views that they think they should have.

Why is it shocking for them to progressively fight for LGBTQ rights or at least acknowledge that sexuality is a spectrum? I guess what I am asking is how to persuade them to be more open minded or even curious to know more/ask the extra question?

What should I say, when I am given the platform to do so?

4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Bruce Wayne,

People can only be persuaded if they are open-minded enough and willing to listen to real input. I would say the best method generally would just be to present yourself and your actions as an example in such things as how you treat/accept LGBTQ people around you, calling out others for insensitive comments (even beyond homophobic, biphobic and transphobic comments) and supporting/joining your school's GSA as a Ally.

Straight people rarely have any reason to question their sexuality, so it is not a question that most straight people ever really dwell on in any serious sense.

I'll critique your original post in a couple of minutes. See if that helps you.

5. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Bruce Wayne,

So here is (hopefully) a constructive critique of your original post.

How, in your view, does fighting for LGBTQ rights help heterosexual males?

There are certainly a lot of stimgas associated with masculinity in our society, but don’t confuse masculinity with sexuality. There of plenty of “hyper masculine jocks” out there who are also gay or bi. Masculinity and femininity do not have a direct correlation to sexuality by any means.

Sexuality is certainly a spectrum, not binary. How do you see binary thinking about sexuality challenging straight people’s own identity? Certainly such thinking in our heteronormative society challenges LGBTQ people as they journey to understand and accept their sexuality.

Most homophobia, in my view, stems from ignorance and the best way to fight ignorance is with accurate information. I don’t know about Exposure Response Therapy. But straightforward education about the true nature of sexuality would be a great place to start.

Incidentally, the T in LGBTQ is for Transgender. There are two central, but separate, elements of the LGBTQ community: sexual orientation and gender identity. (‘Preference’ implies a choice, which sexual orientation definitely is not.)

I’m not certain what you are trying to say here. Certainly the heteronormal expectations of society come primarily from cultural and religious influences around the world. I wouldn’t equate your straight friend’s comfort with having sex with a woman in front of another guy as a result of being comfortable with being naked around other guys in a locker room. In fact, I would consider that exhibitionist behavior to be both odd and inconsiderate.

Homophobic slurs like a negative use of the word ‘gay’ or ‘fag’ or whatever are often something that people grow up saying in a generally homophobic environment, but I think that most of the time the people who use these slurs don’t even have a concept about what they really mean or how hurtful they can be.

Actually, the most significant study on sexuality was conducted by Alfred Kinsey and the Kinsey Scale runs from 0 (exclusively heterosexual) to 6 (exclusively homosexual) with anyone in between being bisexual to varying degrees. Sexuality is also about attractions. You can appreciate the aesthetic beauty in another man, but if you never have any romantic or sexual attractions towards another man, you would be a Kinsey 0. Having spent over 20 years in the military, I can tell you that many of my straight friends were much like you in that they were just extremely comfortable with their (hetero)sexuality.

Bisexuality does not mean that someone is equally attracted to both genders. Many bisexuals have greater attractions to one gender or the other. While there are no scientific studies to really prove it, there is a lot of anecdotal evidence from many bisexuals that, in fact, their sexuality fluctuates over time. Sometimes that is as short as days and for others, like myself, it fluctuates over decades.

Ultimately, though, the important thing for each of us is to understand and accept our sexuality as we experience it – and, as unique individuals, each of us experiences our sexuality in our own unique way. Whatever label (or lack thereof) we choose to put on it for the outside world is actually unimportant.

Actually, the most significant study on sexuality was conducted by Alfred Kinsey and the Kinsey Scale runs from 0 (exclusively heterosexual) to 6 (exclusively homosexual) with anyone in between being bisexual to varying degrees. Sexuality is also about attractions. You can appreciate the aesthetic beauty in another man, but if you never have any romantic or sexual attractions towards another man, you would be a Kinsey 0. Having spent over 20 years in the military, I can tell you that many of my straight friends were much like you in that they were just extremely comfortable with their (hetero)sexuality.

I hope some of that helps.

6. Bruce Wayne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Quantamreality, I want to say I have learned more from our back and forth dialog than I have from reading Psychology text books on the topic. For that and your valuable feedback, I thank you.

I acknowledge the distinction between masculinity and sexuality. The main issue I wanted to address was: why do the straight, hyper masculine, jocks in our society conform to the normative view to not speak out on sexuality or even address it? Why do others in society also have this stereotype of us? I see binary thinking about sexuality challenging straight people’s own identity due to the shocked expressions I receive when speaking progressively on topics such as LGBTQ rights for it doesn’t fit 'my image'?(You mean, a decent human being)

Because you are well educated on what is and is not considered (hetero)sexuality, you are able to identify that due to my own comfortability, I can appreciate the aesthetic beauty in another man. However, most of the men I interact with on a daily basis would classify this behavior as ‘homosexual tendencies.’ Hence, I do not vocalize these statements or even argue.

Like you said, I can’t fight ignorance with anything but accurate information. Fighting for LGBTQ rights, obviously, besides primarily fighting for equality among the community, as a side effect, it would create an environment for even straight males to know the difference between 0 and 6 on the Kinsley scale. I believe that homophobia stems from one’s own fear of not being straight. Hence, the typical straight, masculine, jock uses derogatory language to fit the narrative that they have to either be completely heterosexual or completely homosexual.

I know I sound like I am preaching to the choir here, and my thoughts are scattered all over the place. But, to conclude, it is disappointing that we live in a world where I have to create a throwaway account and visit an online forum called www.emptyclosets.com to have an educational discussion on this issue.

7. Bruce Wayne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope my perspective sheds some light on how high up the bottleneck reaches. Even with all my privilege, it is difficult to speak to a crowd of uneducated, close minded, individuals.

8. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Bruce Wayne,

I have to go now, but I'll try to respond more fully tomorrow to your last posts.

I would make two points though. First, you could have a real discussion about sexual orientation and gender identity if you simply seek out your schools LGBTQ organization(s) - presumably your school has a GSA (Gay-Straight Alliance).

Also, while I appreciate your perspective and it's always good to interact with Allies, you have to remember that LGBTQ people live right alongside everyone else. We are not a separate society. We see the lack of education about the true nature of sexuality as well as gender identity and the ignorant name calling of people who are 'different' in some way than the others on a regular basis.

Have a great evening!:slight_smile:

#8 Quantumreality, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  9. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Bruce Wayne,

I think that a lot of the homophobic nature of jock culture is due to a couple of things. One is the masculinity expectations of athletes and ‘manly men’ to conform to certain societal stereotypes. I am certain that there are a whole lot of heterosexual, hyper masculine jock-types out there who are actually uncomfortable conforming to many or even most of those expected stereotypes. Part of this issue is also due to what you referred to earlier, which is the ridiculous stereotype that homosexual men are automatically effeminate (and, likewise, that lesbians are automatically butch).

The other is lack of education on the true nature of sexuality (which also feeds what you mentioned about irrational fears – such as being in the same locker room with LGBTQ people).

There is another aspect of homophobia that you mentioned which extends well beyond the hyper masculine jock culture. That is a concern or fear that a person isn’t straight themselves. Some of the most actively homophobic individuals are ones who are trying to deny or deflect or hide their own non-heterosexual identity or questioning of their own sexuality.

As just one person, you can’t change the homophobic nature of jock culture all by yourself, but you can set an example for others to follow. There are already many athletes (straight and LGBTQ) who are starting to change their own views and pushing for change to the culture by setting their own examples. For example, there are many more athletes that are Coming Out. You can find example stories at Outsports.com.

You can better educate yourself on LGBTQ issues and the realities of being LGBTQ by reading through the threads here on EC and interacting with people here. And, as I mentioned before, you can find real-life LGBTQ people where you are and interact with them.

Just my thoughts.

10. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to the forum mate :slight_smile: You seem like a very cool guy, I hope you stick around.