1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to speak in a gender neutral way

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Blast, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi :slight_smile: I work in retail. At work, I have been attempting to speak in a gender neutral way for a long time now.
    I do this as I believe this is the most polite way to talk about strangers... I would be devastated if I thought someone had a bad day after I misgendered them.

The only issue is that, in my new retail job at the checkout, a lot of customers request that someone help them with taking their shopping out to their cars.
    I then have to radio this to my colleagues in front of the customer. "Is anybody available to help this lady with her shopping out to her car please?"
    Now, I realise that I could say "customer" instead of "lady" and just miss out the two "her/him"s altogether but I feel that "customer" is so impersonal and dehumanising to say that in front of someone who I have most likely just had a friendly chat with.

Further to this, where I have moved to is a lot more of a rural area than before... and there a lot more visible trans people about (as I assume they have less money to spend and less access to items which may make them less visible).
    And I would feel like a right little shit if I used "customer" for them and no one else.
    Is it rude to ask a trans person, who I dont know, what their pronouns are in front of everyone at the checkout (I assume, yes it is rude)?

What is the solution? Is the solution really just to get over myself and say "customer" or is there another way of saying it that I am missing here?

Thank you

Richard321, smurf and KayNB like this.
  2. KayNB

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is so cool that you want to figure this out!!!!

The trick is being willing to rearrange the sentencesentence. Instead of trying to replace words think of entirely different ways to say the same thing.

I'm your example above "I have a customer that needs help getting their cart to their car. Is anyone avilable?"

Note, if someone used this language for me but gendered language for others of be thrilled.... Although I'm NB

Try playing around with ways to say the same stuff... See if it helps

3. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "Person" instead of "customer"? ^.^

4. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks guys. Food for thought :slight_smile:

5. Mazely

Mazely Guest

As a gender neutral person that also works in retail, I completely understand. I would agree with rearranging the sentence to use customer or person instead, but still making it sound nice. Also if you used these neutral terms for everyone and not just someone you suspect to be trans it will work out better. I get called ma'am, miss, lady, etc all day long and it's exhausting. I'm glad you're working to try and be more inclusive.

RainbowGreen and KayNB like this.
  6. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Blast, if you are doing your best then most of the time you'll be excused any error of pronoun use. So when you are unsure of a person's sex or gender you could reduce errors by attempting to further assertain the person's gender title preference by information gathering.

You could go by the customer's name. They have just paid after all - and maybe they paid by card. The name on the payment card they used will probably tell you.

If they paid in cash, you could ask their name.

The name will usually tell you their gender pronoun preference.

If they have a cool non gender name, or a name you are unsure of, then you could start a conversation about their name its origin.

Failing certainty of gender even after all of this you could use neutral language.

I think that it's when a person is careless and quick to label that making errors, getting it wrong, and causing offense is more likely.

7. Isaacsolomon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is a really interesting topic 'cos I'd like to know this too. I don't have many suggestions to add except maybe 'I have someone who needs assistance. Is there anyone who can help?' Maybe 'someone' sounds better than 'customer' in that case?

Richard321 likes this.
  8. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks again for your comments guys. I think I have worked this one out in my head now.

Because its over the radio, I think its actually fine to miss our some words:
    "Is anybody available to help with shopping out to car please?"

Sounds very efficent too :smile:

KayNB and Richard321 like this.
  9. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ahhh, but what about when your colleague arrives and you need to indicate which customer needs help? How will you then refer to that customer if you need to?

#9 Richard321, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
  10. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always point at them anyway. As I am usually half way through serving someone else at that point and the customer who needs help is usually turned with their back to me.

If they ask me over the radio which customer needs help, I will just say my till number and wait for them to come down.

Isaacsolomon and Richard321 like this.
  11. KayNB

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So usually this next correction is too nit-picky for me as I believe that the word can be somewhat gender-neutral... but since we're talking about being neutral in general I want to point out the use of a word that might sometimes be thought of as slightly less inclusive to some:

The lucky part on this one is... there is a 1 for 1 word swap that is gaining more and more traction. "Folks" or for those looking to call out that they're using the word very targetedly as a way to be inclusive of non-binary and transitioning people when writing: "Folx".

So for example
    that's so inclusive though that it might be a bit over the top :slight_smile: I personally hear "guys" as being gender neutral when used in the context that you've used it and I probably would correct nobody for the use of it outside of a discussion about speaking in a more gender-neutral way. At the same time, admittedly I do try to use it as little as I can personally. It slips out of my mouth sometimes, but not very often.

#11 KayNB, May 2, 2018
    Blast and Richard321 like this.
  12. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Kay, that sounds very apt. Folks or folkx sounds great. Guys is ok, but even if it's used neutrally, it still holds a historical base of maleness.

#12 Richard321, May 2, 2018
  13. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are correct to pick me up on that and I thank you for it.

I actually used to know some women who were not comfortable being referred to as "guys" when in a group. So, at that point in my life, I stopped using the term.
    Now I know some women who use "guys" in such a way themselves... and so I guess I have slipped back in to using it.

I dont know what it is like in America. But my experience in the UK is that it is becoming a gender neutral term.
    But even that is, as far as I can see, problematic. Because male stuff always seems to be used as the default just because of its maleness.
    Not too long ago, it was common to refer to married women with both their husbands first and last name (eg. Mrs John Smith)... even my mother was addressed as such.
    We've got to be careful to not slip back in to using male things as the default.

I have to say, "folks" or "folx" doesnt work in the UK. Its probably easier just to omit the word "guys" altogether... or use "everyone" or "people".

Thanks again.

#13 Blast, May 2, 2018
  14. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think folks is very useable in the UK. It's always been here and it seems to have gained in useage lately, too. And folkx is even better. Dare we go even further, though, and use folx without the k? That's all, folx. Hmmm, maybe leave the k in. That's all folks. Yeh!

15. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have never heard it been used. Maybe it is applicable in your area but not mine? Or is it a generational thing?

EDIT: After typing the above, I have just been informed that even Jeremy Corbyn uses it... Bit weird, I never noticed before.
    Probably just me being a weirdo.

16. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    "A generational thing" indeed - how dare you! Lol.

No, it's widespread even on British TV. It's like "what's occurring?" a la Nessa is no longer just a Welsh thing.

#16 Richard321, May 2, 2018
  17. KayNB

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So much ♥♥♥♥ right now... I am full of so many positive emotions from this thread I just cant tell you how happy it makes me lol... I'm a sap anyway though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Guys is definitely gender neutral for the majority of people... then for most of the minority it's not a big deal (I'd put myself in that category).. then there are some cis-women who probably are a little bothered by the bias (which is completely valid) but for some transgender people it's a reminder of gendery things. Is it super dysphoria inducing for every trans person in the world? no... I'd guess that most of us are like "meh"... but every once in a while if it was used in a group where there are 4 men and 1 trans woman... all the sudden it's a question in her head "did they mean that the gender neutral way, or did they just call me a guy?"... so that would be the place where I'd be the most careful with the use of "guy". I know that that's asking a bit more because it takes you off autopilot and I am actually more in favor of things that can be incorporated into our everyday autopilot habits.

I dunno... I'd say keep using it for the most part though, especially if folx is awkward where you are. Just keep using it as casual/natural as you did above and it's not the same as if you were to somehow stumble over it and act like it was something you shouldn't have done. Which is part of why I was reluctant to mention it. It's probably worse if someone fusses over a word that has so little consequence...

Blast and Richard321 like this.
  18. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    "Guys" just is not good for me - and it's not a generational thing. "Guys" can't be replaced with "girls" or "ladies" or "gals" or "dolls". If "guys" could be replaced with any of those other words in the same context then I'd accept the use of it. But it can't be.

Blast likes this.
  19. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Blast, a suggestion from another thread you posted in... Use the word comrade. Thus:-
    "Assistance needed to help a comrade with shopping to the car park, please."
    "Which comrade?"
    "That comrade there, please."
    "Thank you, comrade."

20. BiBarefeet

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Whatever you decide to use, I think that as long as you don't use "it" or "this" or "thing" or "creature" when referring to someone you're not sure about then you will be ok...