1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Trump now banning words

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by mnguy, Dec 16, 2017.

1. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Banned words: fetus, transgender, diversity, science-based, vulnerable, entitlement and evidence-based

This is ridiculous and no explanation was given for the edict. It says no administration has previously done this. According to the article the words are banned in any documents used to prepare the agency’s budget, but can they be used in other documents? What is the point of this? I suppose they can come up with alternates so they can get around them, but what a ridiculous waste of time. I can't understand how anyone believed that this administration would be LGBT friendly.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...dec16379010_story.html?utm_term=.2110a2040bf4

2. wickedwitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    In other news, Kim Jong-un recently banned Mother's Day celebrations. Why does real life now seem like a South Park episode? :frowning:

3. GlassWalls

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And then Trump's supporters are also the ones complaining that "liberals police language so that it's politically correct." Well now, I guess Trump is policing language so that it's politically incorrect.

4. fadedstar

fadedstar Guest

I feel like I'm in a coma and everything I'm experiencing now is just inside my head. How can stuff like this be real?

#4 fadedstar, Dec 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2017
  5. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And a major update in the journey from democracy to dictatorship, I wish they'd speed up the investigation process and get this fool and his goons out of there. Yet another form of psychological manipulation this crew is using to control people, this is insane.

6. GlassWalls

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "Life imitates art."

7. Glitters

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow. Didn't think I'd live to see the day where Freedom of Speech was taken away. Disgusting.

8. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If I can be honest, this is just backlash from 8 years of liberal policy, politics in the US swing from one extreme to another like pendulum. All the more reason for you American users to start rethinking how you vote and vote third party, yeah?

9. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well at least the far-left will agree with Trump with banning 'evidence'.

On the far-left side, I'm not sure why they want to ban the word 'man' as that means taking away their word 'mansplaining' (in which there's already a gender neutral version for that and that is patronising, and the 'pat' is already a male root anyway). Also, 'man' was originally gender neutral but as women became associated with childbirth they got given a special title meaning "the womb of man"

Policing of words, any word, is really ridiculous. Let people use any word they would like, and in turn face the consequences if they use a word in a context that is considered offensive.

#9 Secrets5, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  10. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I just look at this stuff and think, are you kidding me? We currently have large scale genocides and enslavement's happening in the Asia and Africa. Is this important right now?

11. DarkWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it isn't, if you don't care about freedom of words - a basic human right or democracy in general.

12. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    When there are families on the street this Christmas, I think these are bullshit problems in comparison. My country has a lot of problems and this ranks low on the list. Thats just my opinion.

The existence of "human rights" is another issue, for another day.

13. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Also we shouldn't use words until they are widely known, Im gay and I get so confused over terms like genderqueer, non-binary, trans-man, trans-woman and 20 other words. When I was a boy you were either normal, a faggot or a lesbo, since then its gotten so much better but thats changing. Too much change right now is a bad idea, we cant hit straights with a flood of LGBT culture. When the straights get angry at us, they with take to violence in the streets. Gay men like me will pay the price, those of us that live in rural conservative areas. No thank you, I dont want to be beaten, castrated, and lynched by a mob of angry farmers over words. We need to introduce our culture over 20 or 30 years and let it come naturally. These bans will probably protect us in the long run.

#13 Jackie Ray, Dec 17, 2017
  14. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you are confusing things.

I think the LGBT movement frequently does a poor job at explaining some words (or creating words that are indeed really confusing and non-helpful). Discussing this and our fight strategies is totally necessary - a movement without self-criticism can become ineffective.

However, there's no such thing as "too much change". There are people dying. There are people being tortured for being LGBT. It is totally unfair and misleading to blame the LGBT movement for this violence.

"Oh, the problem is the prejudice, but, you see, this wouldn't happen so frequently if these gays didn't try to change things too fast".

This is a really common idea used by bigots, and it makes no sense. We have always suffered. We are suffering. The difference is that now many of us aren't taking the violence like obedient dogs, trying to change things slooooowly because our human owner may kick us if we bark too much.

No, i'm not justifying fanatism in social movements or people rotulating everyone outside of the movement as a "bigot". Certainly that doesn't help.

Again, people are dying. Of course, when we fight for our rights, we will face some backlash. Bigots will try to defend their world, full of prejudice. It isn't an easy process. However, that needs to be done. We can't just sit around while a father shoots it's son for being gay while we say "oh, you know, if the boy explained it calmly to his father, instead of having a boyfriend, maybe in 20 years the father would understand". That makes no sense.

You say there are more urgent problems (or maybe you think these are just words, not really important).

First, having other problems (like hunger) doesn't mean that this is less of a problem (by the way, of course we need to do what we can for our world and think about more than just one issue, but, if you keep thinking like "oh, there is a bigger problem than X", you will always find something more urgent, and you will end up doing nothing).

Second, words, knowledge and politics are power. The violence that happens in the streets when someone beats a gay man wasn't originated there, in that moment. It was the result of words, speeches, hate in the story of the aggressor. In other words, we can't just focus and fix the result of the problem (like arresting the aggressor). We need to end that process, before the physical violence - in the moment where it is "just words".

TL;DR: You can't blame violence on us. We can't stay around like obedient dogs waiting for the people in power to grant us our rights (like "maybe everything will be fine if we obey and ask for things nice and slow. Maybe they will treat us like decent humans one day, but we can't ask for this now, no!"). Yes, not every form of activism works, and some create more backlash than positive effects. But people are dying now. People are being tortured now. We can't sit around for years and years and hope for change, while doing minimal.

The world is ours too. Respect is essential, and no one will give it to us if we don't fight for it. It is not an easy process, but it is necessary.

#14 Chiroptera, Dec 17, 2017
  15. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Exactly they've already warned us, we know the consequences if we speak out. Call me a coward or a pussy but I'd rather be alive and suppressed than be dead. Dying proves nothing, you're just dead and thats all. If you really think we will ever be seen as equals you are crazy, its a heterosexual world, the best we can hope for is to just get by without getting hurt. Anti gay violence has been on the rise in the US since early 2016.

16. DarkWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ¨

The whole world was very "disrecpectful" in the past. This century is best so far when it comes to LGBT. Of course there are some problems but they aren't as bad and problems are here to be solved. Not run away from then. If you are interested what people did to LGBT people back then you can find it on the internet. I assure you it wasn't pretty. There were times when were treated worse then animals,worse that slaves.And still people fought and get us where we are now.

Do you think Trump would stop with us only getting supressed? Then you are a fool. Just try some internet reading.

Living like a trash proves somehing then I suppose. Say why aren't you living a trash if this is only hetero wolrd? This is my dear friend world of humans. And (believe it or not) we count as humans too. Nobody has right to ban us, punish us, discriminate us or anything. And it's a shame that people who do that get to be a president. Hopefully he will get replaced soon.

And to be honest, I would rather be dead than hiding or living the life of trash.

#16 DarkWhite, Dec 17, 2017
  17. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No one is obligated to be an activist. If you prefer to stay quiet and just live your life, fair enough, you deserve that. And i don't say that in a provocative way: It is a choice, and it is perfectly fine to choose that.

However, i think you are wrong in your lack of hope. The world has seen dark days, and in these days, there were people without hope too.

World War II is a clear example of what i'm saying. There were people those days who disagreed with the nazis, but they didn't believe that better days would come. How can you believe in better days when your beloved ones were sent to Auschwitz and other camps, or if you were one of the prisoners?

The nazis, not only with words, but with their tanks, heavy propaganda and weapons warned the world that many more would die. There would be consequences to those who spoke against their regime.

And there were. Many died in one of the bloodiest war in human story. But we defeat them. Their idea is still alive, yes, but they don't control a nation like they did in the past. Because the world had enough. The world decided to speak out and "face the consequences". Many died, but many more were saved, because people decided that it would be hard to go against their warnings, but it was needed.

Obviously, the war is much more than a fight of "good" against "evil", and there were many political interests involved.

But my point is: Lack of hope is totally understandable in dark days. If you are a jew in nazi germany, hope was obviously not an easy thing to maintain. However, the war is over, and, even if there are still some stupid people that call themselves nazis, they don't have the power to make that many people suffer like they did in the past.

And this didn't change because people choose to get by, waiting like "oh, maybe in the future nazis will give us a small part of the world and leave us in peace, but no, we can't fight them, it's too dangerous". No, the world had enough of their bullshit.

Do you want another example? Well, long story short: After the war, Berlin was divided, one side influenced by the USA, and the other by the Soviet Union. Things weren't that great, especially in one side of the city. Well, the people could stand around, hopeless. The wall was heavily guarded, and many people died trying to cross it. Freedom was nonexistent.

However, some people had hope. And they didn't accept their city like that. And, thus, nowadays, the wall is no more. Unsatisfied people changed the world, instead of listening to the warnings: "Don't fight the guards! It has been like this and it will always be!".

Another example, not directly related to the war. During the Industrial Revolution, many children and woman worked like 12~14 hours a day, with only sundays off, in the factories. That wasn't a decent life. Many people probably thought like this: "Oh, this is the way that things are, it is stupid to try to fight it. Let's just hope that sunday comes and we can forget this until monday!". But some people were not satisfied. And, today, while we still have people in that condition, it isn't widely accepted anymore, and many people are constantly fighting to close the factories were this still happens. These children and adults were freed from a type of slave labor because some people decided not to bow to the warnings of the industrial leaders.

An example of my country, Brazil (but you had something similar in the US). Unfortunately, we had slave labor for a long time in our story. Black people were kidnapped in Africa to work in sugar production here. Until some of them had enough. Heroes like[ulr="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zumbi"]Zumbi[/url] died, but now, even if prejudice still exists, slave labor is not as rampant as it was, and we have important black people in high positions here in Brazil (and many are constantly working to reduce the prejudice today).

Another story: Women didn't always had the right to vote. Again, people that didn't accept the world like it is, and the world changed for the better. I think you already know that one.

The world is full of stories about oppression, but it is full of stories about change. And, obviously, change isn't easy. We say we "fight for our rights", not "ask nicely for our rights", because it is a fight. There will be backlashes. However, if we stand around and do nothing, we will end up more oppressed than we are. Many are tortured and killed nowadays for being gay, but it would be a lot worst if we are hiding. Of course fighting has risks, but prejudice is the problem, not our fight. If you have the right to acess the internet in your country and participate in an LGBT forum, it isn't because straight bigots kindly allowed you to do that, in their benevolence, as long as you don't bother them. It is because people fought and are constantly fighting for you to have the right to express yourself. And the fight is not over.

You don't need to take part in the fight if you don't want to. After all, all we desire is to leave life peacefully. However, i refuse to accept the world as it is. I refuse to accept the prejudice that still kills and tortures LGBT people around the world. This fight is mine too, and i will not bow down to bigots. Because change is not only a matter of belief and being full of a false, fool hope. The human story proves that it is hard, but it is possible.

As Paulo Freire, a famous educator (brazilian, which is an honor to say) once said: "The world isn't. The world is being."

18. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    @DarkWhite Im not stupid, so watch it. I know how gays were treated and I have an interest in not being treated like that.

Let me give you a lesson I learned with my own eyes. After 9/11 Muslims in my country were beaten in the streets regularly for a few weeks afterward. Later the government got involved, asking people to report suspicious activities to the police. A man who ran a restaurant in my neighborhood was arrested for buying cleaning supplies, because he was a Muslim who bought chemicals. They hate anybody who is different, this could have easily been the LGBT community being punished with different circumstances.

The people who run this country are heterosexual Christian men, they hate us, they will always hate us. They would kill us if they could ,all they need is an excuse. IMO we will do better, out of sight and out of mind. When they come with murder in their eyes, they wont just take you agitators, they will take all of us. Even me and I never tried to force anything on them, and its okay that I get hurt for you? So if I have to eat some crow just to get by I'll do it, its way better than real suppression.

If you think Im a coward just come out and say it? You'd be right, I am. Maybe you're the heroic type, see how well that goes for you.

This is just my opinion and I don't want anybody to view these as personal attacks, at the end of the day it doesn't matter what I think. It matters more what you think about yourselves. I'm happy to have these discussions.

19. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Heterosexuals are being good to us now, for the most part. I'd rather not push them, they outnumber us. Straight people in my community are for the most part very nice to me, I let them live the way they like; I dont correct them when they say things like faggot, that would only make them resent me. If I force my culture on them they would without a doubt in my mind, whip my ass.

20. DarkWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Calm down will ya? I never said that you are stupid, I merely sad you could be foolish besides I clearly remember you saying that if someone believes that everyone if equal, they are fools. It was the sentence I replied to. You just edited it so don't snap at me.

Terrible things happens. However all you said here only supports my opinion. If nobody is here to put up a fight what will happen? Don't you think that all these things you are afraid of would happen? Anyway if you won't fight the situation won't change neither it will get better, it'll only get worse. There are people who won't let you be just beacuse you mind your own bussines they will go after you anyway. And that is the reality that I saw, my personal long life experience.

I'm not forcing you to do anything neither to agree with me. Everyone has a opinion and I do respect that. However I replied to you because you said your opinion and stated your point and I merely wanted to do the same. I did not view that as a personal attack. Anyway I'm excited to see how well it'll go for both of us.