1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transitioning - fears and questions

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by GhostCake, Apr 4, 2019.

1. GhostCake

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, i'm pretty sure i'm agender by now, but leaning towards the male end a little - it started out as "well we don't even have gender neutral articles here, might as well go for a more masculine agender thing for explanation purposes"

So i'm using he/him in real life and he/him/they/them on the internet.

It feels good to not be referred to as she/her/girl/woman/etc.

I want a flat chest as the squishy flesh pillows are causing me great distress. Same for shark week. I'd love to get the shark week inducing organ removed too.
    Don't want children anyways - never did, so i don't really care about that aspect at all.

I'm also sure i don't want testosterone because i feel like i'm already much too hairy and i don't want to feel like a gorilla every time i shave. Not a fan of beards either. Just not my thing to be honest so i'd rather avoid testosterone.
    Can i do that? Or do i need that in order to get surgery?

My voice, i could always try to train to be less feminine, right? This is a thing, yes?

However i'm not entirely sure if i want a dingaling in my pants like i could imagine it could be weird to hide, especially in tight pants, like how do penis people do that? Is it uncomfortable to hide it?
    The possibility of my body rejecting a new thing is there too - i'd probably be terrified if i had this surgery just for my new body part to fall off or something..

I kind of want one but i'm kind of scared it won't feel right or will hurt too much? I mean, it is a pretty sensitive area after all..

Is that a legit fear others have too?

I'm scared this won't make me "trans enough" to get the surgeries to feel more at peace with my body.

Did anyone get their surgeries denied for something like that or are my fears unfunded?

I'd love to hear opinions and stories from you people.

Thank you very much in advance. <3

2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's no rules for how much or how little a person needs to transition. If you haven't heard of Ash Hardell, they're a Non-Binary person who ended up getting top surgery without going on hormones; same with their partner I believe. There is always voice training to get your voice to a lower register. One app that comes to mind is Eva FtM, though the lessons are quite expensive. Another trans person who comes to mind is Ryan Cassata, he's also not on hormones, but only got top surgery. I believe he may also train his voice to get to a lower register.

I think most people who get lower surgery, don't have to worry about "hiding it". They get lower surgery because it's what they want and what they're missing. Even if a person does go on T, the growth won't be as big as a cis guy.

Surgery and hormones are a scary thing, and I think most people have had doubts at one point during their transitions. Honestly, there's no such thing as "not trans enough", everyone's different and may want different things. Society wants trans people to follow the narrative and go through the whole process of hormones and surgery. I think the two trans people I mentioned previously are great examples of not following the "trans narrative".

Do whatever makes you the most comfortable. You're "trans enough" no matter how much or little you transition.

quebec, BradThePug and GhostCake like this.
  3. SomecallhimTim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Depending on where you live and what kind of insurance you have you may or may not be able to get top surgery without hormones. WPATH guidelines say that you should be able to, but not every insurance company follows them.
    You will almost definitely not be able to get a hysterectomy without having been on hormones for at least a year. If you want your ovaries removed as well you will have to stay on some kind of hormone treatment for the rest of your life or risk severe loss of bone density. Also, unfortunately, I really doubt that an insurance company will approve a hysterectomy (with or without oophorectomy) if you aren’t taking testosterone and you are under a certain age. I think it’s usually 35 or something and they might not approve it even then if you don’t have kids. It’s dumb I know, and you could definitely ask about your options there but it’s not likely to happen as far as I know.
    A different option for stopping shark week is continuous birth control. I used that for years before I got on hormones and it worked great for me. Just tell your doctor when you ask about it that your goal is not to have a period. Planned parenthood I believe will even give it to you free.
    It sounds to me like phalloplasty or similar is probably not what you want right now but if you’re interested you could get a packer and see how you feel about that.
    There’s no one way to be trans and no set path through transitioning. More and more doctors are recognizing that and a lot of them are happy to help tailor the transition process to what you want. My doctor offered services tailored to nonbinary people and I believe a lot of others are now doing that as well. If your first doctor doesn’t want to do things the way you do, you should be able to find someone else who will.

quebec and GhostCake like this.