1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transgendered teen expelled from school for being herself

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by stuwee, Jan 22, 2012.

1. stuwee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. InTheSilence

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    They can't be serious. -__- Can't she sue?

3. workingman1291

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    That's just terrible. This ain't the 1950's where you can be so offensive. This is just so terrible, i smell a large law suit, possible settlement, and a bunch of people getting fired and going through a class to how to deal with this so it never happens again (i mean for the school board and teachers).

4. seeksanctuary

I wish they'd call her a HER, not he. If she identifies more as a girl... :[ Blrgh. I wish she could sue.

5. Fiddledeedee

The school claims that they were not informed of her desire to transition, and that her being thrown out of school was due to behaviour issues instead. Of course, they used male pronouns to say that.

Going to the Daily Mail article, it's sad to read the comments; most of the top ones are saying how it is innappropriate for a student to dress like that, and most of the negatively rated ones are suppoortive of transgenders. Sigh... at least her mother accepts her.

6. Agathax

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It makes me sick to hear of trans people being treated like that, I grew up in a rough neighborhood in which a FtM trans went to school dressed as his actual gender. He was bullied terribly and his school did very little to stop it.

I don't get why everyone is so stressed out about trans teens anyway, if they let her turn up to school in girls clothing for a few weeks, her behavior might improve and the kids might become more accepting :bang:

7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's dumb. And I spent some time replying to comments on one website. People are frustrating... why can't they just get... smarter?

8. Bibliophile

Ok yes the lack of using the proper pronoun in the artical and by the school is annoying. Though in the schools cases it is a little more understandable. I mean if you have worked with a student for years and have thought of this person as male for that whole time. Its not going to be easy to switch. However if the outfit in the picture is what she wore well I dont blame the school for sending her home. I dont know about your schools but where I live even before the uniforms got instituted we had a dress code and those shorts would NEVER be allowed. Not sure if that has more to do with it then her dressing in female clothing any how. I mean if she wanted to go to school then wear a SCHOOL outfit not one that looks fit for the club.

9. Hot Pink

The school says she was expelled because of poor performance and it had nothing to do with her dressing as a female. What they don't mention, however, is that her poor performance is from being bullied openly in the classroom and halls. The faculty did nothing to stop it.

10. Zontar

Hey, let's be honest here, she's dressed a lot more conservatively than with most schoolgirl's uniforms I've seen. :grin:

11. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

This is soo not right...what happened to equal education opportunities for all?

12. Bibliophile

Not with those short shorts...... I dont know where you went to school but any girl wearing that or a skirt even close to that would be sent home or told to change at my old HS. Wish I went to your school lol.

13. seeksanctuary

IMO? Not an excuse, especially when writing-- they can easily use the back button and add an "s" before the "he"s. :/ It is never good enough for an individual or institution to say "well this is the way we've done it for years now". It's not easy to switch, but it's not difficult, either.

Also...?

Shorts, yes. Shorts with TIGHTS underneath. The clothes I saw were perfectly appropriate, or would have been vaguely appropriate at my school at least. Even if it wasn't appropriate, it's not indecent, and expelling someone for THAT is silly... I don't doubt at all it has to do with her being trans in some way or another.

14. Zontar

I went to a catholic school. Despite there being an official rule against skirts being above the knee, all the girls never ceased to roll 'em up even higher. I certainly never bitched.

15. Jonathan

Ughhh...I've been arguing with people leaving comments about this story...

When will people realize that using the Bible as their only form of fucking justification proves nothing! :bang::bang::bang:

16. Bibliophile

Tights or no those shorts are not ok. Im sorry but in my old school you WOULD get sent home. The kid was not expelled. Look at the story it says she was sent home expelled is in quotations. She is still on the roster for the school. I am just saying it seems there could be more to this then people think. I think that yes the school was likely in the wrong and rather insensitive. But she could have dressed a little more conservatively. Should she have had to? Not sure I mean it depends on the schools dress code. (I tried to find it btw just to check) But even if she did comply to the letter with that outfit there is a time to go all out and a time to take baby steps because you know that people will freak. Is that right or fair? No, not at all. But some times the best way to win and educate people is slowly. I just think that a little discretion in the way she dressed might have helped her case. Not saying its right. But sometimes one has to play the dice as they lay rather then hope for a reroll. If that makes any sense.
    As for the use of pronouns its likely a combination of what I said and them being lazy. Its hard for people that are not Transgender or in the LGBT(Q?) ( I swear I cant keep up with the right abbreviation) community to understand how important using the right pronoun can be for a transgender person. So they were probably just lazy about it. Not right or cool but what can you expect people cant even put effort into basic spelling any more let alone using the proper pronoun in a case like this. Sad but other then education and pray they learn it what can ya do? Hope this girl finds peace soon though. Media spot light cant be comfortable.

17. djstcktn326

They should make them go through a tolerance course. That is just so ridiculous; if they tried to kick me out I wouldn't be a happy camper. As a transgender person--please excuse my language--this pisses me off. :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum:

18. toms7

well thats not school!!!!