1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transbros and sisters: How do you feel about that?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by anthracite, Aug 28, 2016.

1. anthracite

anthracite Guest

@ Synesthesia: Thank you for the link! Makes much more sense now

2. Jiramanau

Out Status:
    Some people
    I kind of identify with the idea of a 3rd gender even though I would never want the label.

In cultures with 3+ genders "trans" isn't even a thing, people just are what they are. The families don't always like it, particularly "losing" a son has economic implications for alot of families in those cultures. But there is a place in society just for them, and they naturally come to identify with it as they figure it all out and "coming out" late in life is rare.

In western culture there is nowhere to go without "transgressing" into the "opposite" gender. Because there is no "plan c" in our society, we grow up and form our identity around that rigid binary system. Cis or trans, you can't force people to change their worldview or how they understand themselves.

---------- Post added 29th Aug 2016 at 01:58 AM ----------

I guess my point is that I know I have had a very different experience than cis women, I understand that those differences will always be part of who I am. But at the same time, it was those same experiences that brought me to a place where I see myself as female. To me that's all that really matters, it's my right to choose how I interpret my feelings and identify myself and I won't bend or hide for other peoples comfort.

#22 Jiramanau, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  3. Delta

I don't like it when people call binary trans people a third gender. Firstly, because many of them don't even want that, and second because I want to have that third gender marker. I'm the kind of person that's really for. Not someone who wants an strictly M/F identity.

It's like they're "accepting" a third gender that is still explicitly not what I am. They're ignoring my existence once more. If there's going to be any third gender, I want it to be a nonbinary one. Our binary options are covered already.