1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans or something else?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Deafheaven, May 21, 2018.

1. Deafheaven

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello! I'm quite new here and lately I've been having trouble with figuring out my gender identity. I've questioned my identity several times before over the past three or so years, but I've never been able to really come to a conclusion. So I was wondering if I could get a little help :slight_smile:

Signs that make me think I am trans:
    1. I would rather be called boy/boyfriend/dad/husband rather than girl/girlfriend/mom/wife
    2. I've always been highly envious of boys, not so much girls
    3. Male pronouns just feel more authentic when referring to myself
    4. The idea of growing into a woman sort of scares me since I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of being a woman
    5. I like to write short stories, and every character I've written that's based off of myself have been male because portraying myself as a female protagonist feels weird
    6. I often feel like it would be a lot easier to be myself if I were male
    7. The main cause of my body dysmorphia is the fact that I have such a feminine body since I would feel more comfortable in a male one
    8. I find myself always relating to male characters in books and movies as opposed to the female characters
    9. Being referred to as she/her genuinely upsets me at times
    Signs that make me think I'm not trans:
    1. I've always been quite the "girly girl" (like wearing dresses, painting my nails, preferring to have longer hair (though my hair is short now) you get the idea)
    2. I have girlish mannerisms
    3. There are moments where I feel comfortable in my body and gender (though these moments don't last for more than three hours or so)
    I'm clearly all over the place. My apologies for such a long post! Any opinions or advice are greatly appreciated

2. Muriel

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm in the same position as you , I'm so confused I don't know if I'm trans or if I am just masculine , I wish someone could help me . Sorry I can't express myself so much I'm not good at English .
    :frowning2:

3. quinnboi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi! For a while, I was feeling exactly as you described. I think that if you feel like you're in the wrong body consistently, then you could be trans. It's perfectly normal for trans boys to feel or be feminine. Good Luck! -Quinn

Deafheaven likes this.
  4. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Deafheaven (Are you deaf? Cool!)
    All your trans sign are very common in the trans community. Specially writing yourself as a guy, which could be some sort of escapism. Almost all of them have happened to me. Now, your "not trans" signs...
    1- Being "feminine" does not mean you aren't trans. If guys can be soft then why can't trans men?
    2- Same thing, but pay attention: you mostly picked up those manerisms living as a girl. I have them too and I dont even like them lol
    3- This is a very normal thing. And it is mostly due to two things, depending on how far you are in your (inner) transition. One is that you're still pretty much in denial, and the other one is that you're getting comfortable with your body, which I a very difficult thing to do. Or maybe you could be another gender other than guy, but I'll let you know: because because denial, I identified as NB first, even thought I'm 100% a guy. (I thought that because I was femenine I couldn't be a guy) But don't be afraid to experiment. Good luck

Mihael likes this.
  5. Deafheaven

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’m glad that someone understands where I’m coming from! Your English is very good so don’t worry. Feel free to PM me if you need any help

6. Deafheaven

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You have some very valid points. I also realized that being feminine doesn’t automatically mean that I’m not trans, but nearly everyone I spoke to about this said that because of my femininity I could just be confused :/ (though I now realize that I’m just like this because I’m used to acting within my gender role, thanks to your advice). I also identified as NB for quite some time too. But this was very helpful :slight_smile: Thank you so much!