1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toxicity

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dare2bProud, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Dare2bProud

I know some of you have heard this story recently, but I need to write about it. I'm in a very toxic work environment right now ... I'm very saddened that it all turned out this way. It's been going on like this for a year and a half, my contract is up in May, I didn't renew, I have a new job starting four days after I finish my last tour. I keep thinking about that and how exciting it is to get to move on, but I can't help but thinking about the way I have been treated by others in my current company, what or if I did anything wrong and how I could have prevented this from happening. I'm very depressed and sad right now. My tour partner won't ask me how I am doing, she is all about her and no one else. It's very awkward and the managing director is that way too. No one seems to care about me. It's a sad situation to be in.

2. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Well it saddens me to hear that. Im extremely sorry that they are narcissistic like that.
    I would think about Karma, have you done anything wrong? What have you done that is really good? These things will come back to you, as will they to those people you work with. And try and remember that some change is good. Im sorry that it is difficult, but I it is refreshing, and brings new opportunities for success and happiness.

There is always EC to talk about what is going on in your life. You can always PM me if you want to talk about it if you want.

Best wishes, I hope things get easier

3. dylangoelz

dylangoelz Guest

Im sorry im a little slow what is a toxic environment

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I think it’s time to put the past behind you and start looking to whats coming. They didn't care about you, too bad for them. It’s their loss and you will go on to do better things with better people :slight_smile:

Is not that they don't care about you. Is that they probably care too much about themselves, which is their problem not yours.

Give yourself a break. You got yourself out of the situation, got yourself a new job and decided to do better next time. You are doing well! Give yourself some credit and allow people to see it :slight_smile:

5. Dare2bProud

An unhealthy situation, around negative people all the time.

---------- Post added 29th Mar 2011 at 12:49 PM ----------

Thank you! I'm trying but right now I've hit a low moment where my depression has been triggered.

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Ya, that can be really tough, but you have to fight it! You have us, your friends and you know is only matter of time until you get out of there. Keep your head high and show them what they are going to be missing :slight_smile:

7. Dare2bProud

Hey all! I wanted to get some other view points, several of my friends suggested, for closure, that when I leave the company I should write a handwritten letter and mail it to the company. In the letter list the positive and negatives about the company and tactfully tell them how I had felt as an employee for a year and a half. I like the idea and I have started typing a draft. I'm trying to take the high road and basically state what my experience was both positive and negative.

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think the best way to find closure is just to move on from the company. You don't want to do something that could potentially burn bridges or valuable references (and you never know what happens down the road. You might actually find yourself applying with them again).

It is regrettable that you had negative and bad experiences, however, the company might have quite a different view point, and that view point will come through. If you send them a letter highlighting negative experiences, they might interpret that quite differently, and in fact use that against you, should you ever need any help/feedback from them (even if you try to be nice about it).

Also keep in mind that a lot of employers have connections to other employers or know someone in another company. You are in a business, where contacts and being able to maintain a professional attitude (regardless of your experiences in a company) is really important. You are in a field, where something like this could actually hurt you more than do good.

I think the high road here would include leaving your bad experiences behind you and concentrating on your new job. Keep in contact with the people that you did get along with and supported you, without sending a letter. If you send that letter, it is possible that people who support you at the moment might be less inclined to do so afterward.

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This isn't taking the high road. It's getting the last word in. All in the name of helping the company, natch.

Lex