1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Topic to discuss: the difficulty of choosing the right career

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Straight ally, Sep 3, 2015.

1. xxCHAOTIC

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've changed my mind so many times. But thinking back I've always been drawn to the mechanical. I was always interested in my dad's stories about being an engineer, always loved fiddling with things and taking them apart. But I felt like because I was considered "gifted" (as well as being a girl) that I had to go into something medical.

Don't get me wrong! I love the medical field. It always fascinated me and I've always enjoyed learning about it. But I eventually came to the realization that it just wasn't meant for me. I dropped out of psychology and went to something that felt much more natural to me that I could see myself doing. Computer science!

There's so much pressure to do what your family or society thinks is right, that sometimes what you want to do gets lost in the fray.

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yesterday at professional development there were teachers in their 40s who were introduced as new faculty who used to be emts then went to law school then now have taught for 4 years before coming to my school... so it's never too late to change.