1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To the people still in the closet

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Hobbes, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Hobbes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I don't live with my parents and I am still in the closet. I do have a boyfriend (he's in the closet, too). BUT, my main question being, is there anyone else in the closet who from time to time forgets that they are in the closet? Or is this just me?

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Eh, I wouldn't really say I forget, but a lot of the time it doesn't really bother me.

3. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Yeah I do because I'm out to most of my friends, but not my family. An kind of funny example is that this morning my mom made a joke like "We've seen enough boobs around here" in reference to my somewhat revealing pajamas.
    And I almost said "I haven't" and actually had to stop myself.
    I find I'm getting more and more like that. I guess it's not that I forget I'm in the closet, but I'm not thinking about it regularly and I'm just thinking about my actions and behavior like I normally would, and sometimes I forget to turn on that filter.
    It's like your brain is totally ready to be out and open and just act as you do, but the reality is you aren't so you get ahead of yourself sometimes.

---------- Post added 1st Jul 2016 at 09:35 PM ----------

Honestly, I think that's good though in a way. Like the fact that you feel so comfortable that you come across occasions where you find yourself acting/thinking openly, and you have to real yourself in, kind of means that you accept yourself that much more and that you can be yourself; your closetedness isn't affecting your entire thought process and behavior I guess.

4. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't forget I'm still in the closet, I just ignore it. I act how I like and just avoid being ridiculously obvious about stuff. Everybody suspects but as long as I don't confirm anything it can't hurt me.

5. mmmelody

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I kinda do. I live in NYC most of the year for college and I'm out to everyone at school - even my friends from home know, as does my little sibling, but none of my family knows. So like, when I'm watching a movie with my friends I'll sometimes comment on the attractiveness of a non-male actor, and when I'm with my parents I sometimes come very close to doing that and then have to bite my tongue. Or my mom will make a comment about "when you meet a nice guy" or "when you're around cute boys," etc. and I'll want to be like "or girls, ya know..." It's weird and I hope one day I can come out to my parents, but I have no idea when that day will come.